Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 315521 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1635 on: December 04, 2014, 10:45:19 am »

Is it still possible to intentionally kill off civs in worldgen?
Gave a race CHILD and LITTERSIZE 100 and MAXAGE 5:5 in the hope they would make a few towns/cities and then die off, dotting the landscape with ruins.
However, they almost always survive for over 200 years - looking through legends, it looks like new members are popping out of the ether to replace the dead.

Is there some way to stop the civ from spawning new members and avoiding extinction?
[CARNIVORE]?

Carnivores don't seem to die off anymore, several worlds I've genned with my mod have had dingo men civilisations as the dominant lifeform on the planet.
I think it's related to civs not needing [BABY:X] and [CHILD:X] anymore.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: December 04, 2014, 12:29:51 pm »

It's more likely because historical figures no longer starve to death in world gen. Entity populations still can starve.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: December 04, 2014, 12:39:47 pm »

It's more likely because historical figures no longer starve to death in world gen. Entity populations still can starve.
I wonder why would Toady change that?
._.

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: December 04, 2014, 12:42:03 pm »

Why not take away their capability to reproduce and in their entity raws, give them an insanely high starting pop number?

Oh, sorry, should have mentioned - if I make them monogender, then they never get placed during worldgen at all.
Also, START_GROUP_NUMBER seems to have been removed in v0.40.x.

So, it sounds like none of the traditional methods work anymore? Well, I guess the Toad giveth jumping and climbing, and taketh mass-producible ruins.  :-\

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: December 04, 2014, 12:51:34 pm »

I wonder why would Toady change that?

See here.
I might be missing something basic, but that's what it is.  The starvation was causing the vast majority of the deaths in world gen and making the memory/speed situation impossible (since they'd be replaced quickly by children and elevated pop figs over and over as the famine continued etc.).  In addition, it was starving historical figures at the same rate as the entity population, but we could reason that the reason these guys are historical is that they are the ones that didn't starve at random.

Also, START_GROUP_NUMBER seems to have been removed in v0.40.x.
It's been doing nothing for a long while, since the introduction of entity populations. It's just been kept around for raw compatibility, I guess.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: December 04, 2014, 01:27:02 pm »

I've made a little mod with several human civs, they are way too peaceful, even if their values and stuff conflict. How can I make then go to war more often?
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: December 04, 2014, 02:24:47 pm »

How strongly do they conflict? Keep in mind how different dwarf and elf ethics are, and yet they're usually more or less at peace with each other. Try pushing the ethics conflicts to the extreme - either UNTHINKABLE or ACCEPTABLE.

If that doesn't work, you could always give some of them SKULKING or BABYSNATCHER, which will put them into the same 'faction' as kobolds and goblins, respectively.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: December 05, 2014, 07:36:19 pm »

1: If I changed something in the main raws, say, the weight of a metal, would that affect already genned worlds?
2: How would I make a smelter reaction require bones of a dragon? I remember someone told me a general way to do it, but I couldn't quite understand it and kind of messed up.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: December 05, 2014, 07:49:55 pm »

1: If I changed something in the main raws, say, the weight of a metal, would that affect already genned worlds?
???
If you mean DF exe directory\raw\objects then no. Those raws are simply the base for worlds generated afterwards. You need to fiddle with Dwarf Fortress v.40.19\data\save\<save folder name>\raw\objects to affect a save world. Though adding new IDs to a world doesn't work and deleting IDs can break the game.
2: How would I make a smelter reaction require bones of a dragon? I remember someone told me a general way to do it, but I couldn't quite understand it and kind of messed up.
[REAGENT:<whatever>:1:NONE:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:DRAGON:BONE][USE_BODY_COMPONENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT] (maybe slap [ANY_BONE_MATERIAL] on at the end for good measure) placed into the smelter reaction will make it need 1 unspecified item made of dragon bone. The item must have been part of a living creature. If the item comes in a stack greater than one, disregard it an make the normal amount of product for the reaction.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: December 05, 2014, 07:59:08 pm »

Like so?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: December 05, 2014, 08:22:30 pm »

Doesn't [FUEL] mean that it will require coal anyway? Wouldn't that make reagent D redundant?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: December 05, 2014, 08:23:27 pm »

You need more coal than just the fuel to make steel.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: December 05, 2014, 08:23:58 pm »

It's a step up from steel basically, just heavier, sharper, and better at defence. Specifically, as sharp as divine metals, as heavy as gold, and better at defence than steel. It follows the same pattern of needing flux and extra fuel, since the bone would throw that perfect balance off some.

EDIT: It would only require one dragon, correct? So splitting them up into 1 bone stacks through trade would maximize production?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 08:29:37 pm by StagnantSoul »

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: December 05, 2014, 08:46:52 pm »

EDIT: It would only require one dragon, correct? So splitting them up into 1 bone stacks through trade would maximize production?
I'm not sure it's possible to split bone stacks properly (I know Toady did some fixing with stacks recently but I don't know what actually changed >:(). A workaround would be to require an item made from the material that it normally can't be made into and the only way to make it would be a custom reaction requiring a dragon bone stack(like before) but without [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT], so a stack of 30 would make 30 of them. You could then use each individual bone from the stack properly.

This is about the limit on how much I am able to help you on this particular subject. Luck to you.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: December 06, 2014, 12:48:31 pm »

If I wanted to create a giant version of a wolf but call it a dire wolf instead of a giant wolf, what would I have to tweak for that?
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 247