Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 316761 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2745 on: June 08, 2015, 03:01:27 pm »

Hey everyone, I have some questions about modding nobles (that have nothing to do with the mod in my signature).  I'm trying to see if I can get the flavor of a meddlesome central government.

First, who actually hands out sentences in the justice system, and does this person's personality matter at all?  It is the LAW_ENFORCEMENT responsibility, the site ruler, something else entirely?  Can two different nobles hand out sentences?

Second, is there any advantage to a hierarchy in the local fortress military?  For example, having a Captain that commands Lieutenants that command Sergeants (squad leaders).  Is there a way to ensure that each one can oversee a limited number of subordinates (like five Sergeants per Lieutenant and five Lieutenants per Captain)?

Third, if a position has a single SUCCESSION choice, does it happen automatically or is the player still involved in making the promotion?

Fourth, is there any way to force a non-monarch noble to immigrate to the fort from off-site, rather than be chosen by the player?  I suspect this would involve DFHackery.

The concept is that at a certain point the mountainhome sends a Seneschal to your fort who makes some demands in the monarch's name and can mete out punishments if things aren't run the way the Seneschal thinks the monarch wants them run.  You also get a Captain from off-site who (ostensibly) runs your militia until your fort is sufficiently mature to handle this responsibility.  Ideally, you'd have the option to voluntarily retain the Captain when you are allowed to choose (since he/she probably arrived with a lot more military skills than your Starting Seven).

Since it takes a while to get good at all of the politicking in this kind of system, each officer designates an Ensign to succeed him/her (preferably due to promotion, more likely due an untimely end) and allegedly grooms that person for promotion.  The Captain's Ensign is probably one of the Lieutenants, a Lieutenant's Ensign is probably one of the Sergeants, etc. but since they are chosen by the player there are no guarantees.  Ideally this Ensign system allows the player to do some succession planning that self-executes during combat.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: June 08, 2015, 04:39:58 pm »

1. It's either LAW_ENFORCEMENT or the aggrieved, though I'm pretty sure it's the former.

2. No, not really.

3. Automatic, I think, as long as there's no APPOINTED_BY:X in the position.

4. I don't think so. Even with DFHackery, getting specific people to migrate in is impossible at the moment (due to unknowns in army controllers), and even then you'd probably end up with nothing or invaders or maybe merchants rather than migrants.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: June 08, 2015, 04:40:22 pm »

1: It's up to those who enforce the law to punish those who break it. By which I mean that it is up to the sheriff/captain of the guard and the troops they manage. I don't know if personality plays into it in any way though.

2: I do not know, so I can not answer if a hierarchy has benefits. The only thing I could find on the wiki about commanding lower ranks is that the only known argument is COMMANDER:position ID goes here:ALL. I'm not certain if there is anything that can be put in place of the ALL argument.

3: I believe it would be automatic, based off of the many "why did this dwarf just become my baron/king/etc?" threads.

4: Again, I can't answer this.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: June 08, 2015, 07:30:59 pm »

Thanks, I figured one wouldn't have wander very far from the vanilla governments before running into limitations.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: June 08, 2015, 11:07:25 pm »

Okay, so I've sort of hit a couple little snarls with my elf invasion mod.

The idea was to have a few hostile elf "races" that would work together to attack you in a loose manner of speaking, and all use the same base graphics (that is the same ones the elves use,) but instead on the Phoebus-packed version I'm having hostile elves that resemble mounds of pixel sludge with a tiny face where elves should be.

In both it and the ACSII versions they're actively killing eachother if they arrive in the same general locale, despite having the exact same raws save for equipment changes (same ethics, babysnatchers for hostility to everyone else,) so I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong to make them turn on eachother like that or if there's nothing I can do to change it.

It'd be a shame, since any other methods so far have been less than fruitful as far as being attacked (the attempt before babysnatching took away speech and they just started killing eachother despite the test forts being right smack in the middle of them all.)

P(ony)SI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: June 08, 2015, 11:24:15 pm »

The DF wiki (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Goblin ) mentions that goblins invading your site will attack another separate invasion group.

Since that's the case, I'd imagine that your elf races attack each other because of their lack of ethics.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: June 08, 2015, 11:27:08 pm »

The DF wiki (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Goblin ) mentions that goblins invading your site will attack another separate invasion group.

Since that's the case, I'd imagine that your elf races attack each other because of their lack of ethics.

They do have ethics. The same ethics in fact. Literally. Copy-pasted.

And it seems the game is determined to not let me kill armies of not-vanilla elves in a non-headache inducing way...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: June 08, 2015, 11:36:14 pm »

"Lack of ethics" isn't the right phrase; what was meant is probably "specific ethics relating to attacking neutrals or enemies".

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: June 09, 2015, 04:54:59 am »

Would adjusting the ethic regarding neutral parties reduce the chances of them attacking eachother then?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: June 09, 2015, 01:37:51 pm »

Would a genderless enemy civ run into worldgen problems or anything of the sort? Will it prevent them from increasing in numbers completely?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: June 09, 2015, 01:55:20 pm »

Would a genderless enemy civ run into worldgen problems or anything of the sort? Will it prevent them from increasing in numbers completely?

Genderless = can't breed at present I think. Not sure. Course a snatching civ doesn't need to worry about that if they can supplant thier numbers with enough kidnappings.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: June 09, 2015, 02:24:49 pm »

Genderless = can't breed at present I think. Not sure. Course a snatching civ doesn't need to worry about that if they can supplant thier numbers with enough kidnappings.
That'd be an interesting idea: a civ that seeds with a few members powerful enough to definitely succeed in kidnapping, then die out leaving behind an unpredictable mix of critters that go on kidnapping (and breeding if they're lucky).
Just got back, updating:

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: June 09, 2015, 04:16:14 pm »

what doe the numbers in the standard creature gaits creature variation thing mean?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: June 09, 2015, 05:34:10 pm »

Okay, so ethic changes did nothing. Guess I'll have to scatter thier attack forces out around the year. Shame.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: June 09, 2015, 05:51:53 pm »

what doe the numbers in the standard creature gaits creature variation thing mean?

You mean in the creature raws, or in the variation raws?

If it is the creature raws, then the numbers are the max speeds that each movement type is capable of, starting with the base speed, then setting the faster speeds, then the slower speeds.

If you mean the tag in its entirety, then here is what the wiki says on it:
GAIT

Caste    

type (WALK, CLIMB, SWIM, CRAWL, or FLY)
    gait name
    full speed
    build up time:max turning speed:start speed (or NO_BUILD_UP for instant use)
    energy use
    Optional flags:
        LAYERS_SLOW - if gait is slowed by increased weight
        STRENGTH - if gait is affected by strength stat
        AGILITY - if gait is affected by agility stat
        STEALTH_SLOWS:penalty - if gait is slowed by being stealthed
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 247