Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 441394 times)

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2610 on: March 14, 2016, 10:57:06 pm »

Yet another fire, this one in depot when traders arrived and not before. Fortunately, only smoke and no flame, and was extinguished soon. I never found out what caused it.

Surface fires.... More likely in this version? I'm like five for five. Often arriving without warning. One accompanied by a merchant.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: March 14, 2016, 11:25:06 pm »

Is there an easy way to make all wooden doors resemble stone doors?  Also, if I change the color of wood to grey (how?) will tree trunks and logs also be grey?

Not sure about making them look like stone, but if you look in plant_standard.txt there is an example of making trees a different color.  The glumprong is a purple color and it has tags to change that.  So far as I know, that should work on other trees and extends to logs and constructions made of them.  Looks like [DISPLAY_COLOR:7:0:0] would make a tree gray, for example.

Color codes explained here.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: March 15, 2016, 03:11:27 am »

I just hate the wooden door icon, I might change graphics instead.

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: March 15, 2016, 02:00:12 pm »

How do you wet a area for farming?

I have a underground farm and a above ground farm that I'm trying to get wet for farming... How do I go about get water onto it?

Aside from flooding it etc...

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: March 15, 2016, 02:06:32 pm »

I have a underground farm and a above ground farm that I'm trying to get wet for farming... How do I go about get water onto it?

Easy way, once you've had practice on how not to flood your fort, involves careful digging of a higher-up water source and use of floodgates and/or drawbridges, and might require screw pumps or cave-in bombs if you don't HAVE a water source on the same z-level or higher.

The tedious, slow, but damn near idiotproof way is to just hit "i" and establish a zone, declare it to be a pit/pond, and make your dorfs dump water on the floor the hard way.

But if you're above-ground you should just have dirt to place plots on, unless you're in the mountains and thus NEED to flood some stone.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: March 15, 2016, 02:14:12 pm »

iirc, the pit/pond zone, need a hole to dump water in the lower level
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: March 15, 2016, 02:25:06 pm »

Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: March 15, 2016, 02:28:25 pm »

Build a strip of floor above the farm, and designate a zone as a pond on the sides of the strip. Your dwarves will grab buckets and dump water on the farm, creating mud.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: March 15, 2016, 02:33:56 pm »

iirc, the pit/pond zone, need a hole to dump water in the lower level

Basically yeah, you need to at least designate the zone above what you want wet, but beyond that it's infinitely simpler than a controled flood.

Though the more I think about it, the more "tedious but simpler if you aren't used to the complex part" explains a lot of features I never use. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: March 15, 2016, 05:44:11 pm »

I usually just channel soil for above ground plots and put the below ground in a similarly sized room beside it. That's if you want to farm only within the first few z legend below ground. Far below or in the caverns you need to pump or pit water.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: March 15, 2016, 06:21:37 pm »

Most practical, yeah. It seems I very rarely try to actually bunker down and make my dwarves live underground. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: March 16, 2016, 07:29:48 am »

The wiki says that if your dwarfs are wearing chain mail + high boots then you don't need leg armor like greaves. Does that mean that greaves are completely useless in such a situation, or does it still provide an armor bonus?

Secondly does wearing cloth underclothes or  leather over clothes with metal armour provide any bonus to your protection? If so what are the best leather items  I can combine with full metal armor besides hood and cloak?
You don't need the leg armour because the boots and mail overlap. You still want it, because it's an extra layer of metal. It's similar to combining a mail shirt with a breastplate -- if you have the materials and your dwarves can still move quickly enough, why not?

Regular clothing items will provide a small bonus, but 1. It's unlikely that a blow will fall in the tiny gap between 'stopped by armour' and 'hits flesh', and 2. They're a pain in the butt to manage. Either you allow uniforms over civilian clothes and run the risk of dwarves choosing clothes over armour, or you make clothing items a part of the uniform and put up with dwarves complaining about the worn items they won't take off because said items are part of their uniform.

If you want your military to be uniformed in clothing, dress them in whatever you like except caps and shoes, but keep an eye on the dwarves' inventories to make sure they're still wearing their metal layers. Don't go by the green ticks in the military screen.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: March 16, 2016, 07:39:18 am »

Regular clothing items will provide a small bonus, but 1. It's unlikely that a blow will fall in the tiny gap between 'stopped by armour' and 'hits flesh', and 2. They're a pain in the butt to manage. Either you allow uniforms over civilian clothes and run the risk of dwarves choosing clothes over armour, or you make clothing items a part of the uniform and put up with dwarves complaining about the worn items they won't take off because said items are part of their uniform.

Eh?  I've never had that problem.  My custom uniforms for melee dwarves typically include helm, hood, mail shirt, and cloak.  They replace the cloaks and hoods all the time, with no problems.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: March 16, 2016, 07:58:10 am »

Hmm, maybe that's new. Is your custom uniform 'replace clothing' or 'over clothing'?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: March 16, 2016, 08:44:30 am »

Wear affects an item's value, doesn't it?  I'd guess as long as you had new and unworn items lying around, they would probably replace the worn parts.  My understanding was always that civilians and soldiers replaced clothing and gear by checking for more valuable things to change into.

If that really is how it works, I'd guess that they wouldn't change into a less worn item if what they had was already of very high value (a worn master work?) and the only replacements were average quality.

Or maybe they won't replace clothing inside of armor?  I know there have been a ton of problems in the past where dwarves would put on and take off clothing in the wrong order and never figure it out on their own.  I think that was all pretty much fixed in the .34 release that added the need to wear clothing back in though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 268