Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 439985 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #210 on: July 23, 2014, 08:33:16 pm »

Would it be possible to "bribe" the dwarfs by loading them up with items of such obscene value that their mood stays at ecstatic even after a friend dies?

There's other ways than owning things to give them happy thoughts.  You can put high-value furniture in high-traffic areas to give passing dwarfs happy thoughts, and otherwise useless artifact weapons can be loaded in up an weapons trap to make dwars admire it.  You can also stick a cage in a high traffic area and load it up with as many non-grazing, non-hateable animals as possible to maximize the chance of dwarfs seeing their favorite type of animal in a zoo.  And on the subject of cage animals, if the bedrooms are large enough, you can put a cage containing each dwarf's favorite animal in their bedroom (right next to the bed) so that they'll get the "seen favorite animal" thought at least once per sleep-cycle.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 23, 2014, 08:36:39 pm »

I try to give the dwarves all quality beds and smoothed walls.  The bed values dont get obscene unless you embed it with stuff, like gems.

Then you can also feed them good food and have a waterfall/mist that they occasionally walk through.  Or just keep it shut until one get pissy and have them pull an unconnected lever.  On the way over, if the trigger a pressure plate that turns on the water, then they can enjoy it and you keep your fps intact.  Pressure plates are awesome enough.

And that artifact table/chair?  It goes in the main hall.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

NobleNecromancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 23, 2014, 08:46:25 pm »

Looked at the blog post today and one thing leaped out at me.

re-enabled elven diplomat

Since I currently am playing .34(at least until I have a better grasp of the game and to wait for .40 to be optimized more.) and never heard of them I had to look in the wiki.

It was then I learned why people seem to hate elves so much. Only 100 trees a year? In my current fort I cut down more than 500 trees within one year just to produce steel at a decent rate.(Still a newbie so I don't want to try and deal with all 3 cavern layers to reach magma, especially since I haven't dealt with cavern 1 ever and I am still learning how to get the military working.)

Stupid tree hugging elves.  :'( How did you guys dealt with this before?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 23, 2014, 08:50:11 pm »

I think most people just ignored the requests and chopped all they wanted.  If the elves declared war, so be it.

It shouldn't be such a big deal with the current version though, since trees generate way more wood.  That is, unless Toady reduced the quotas to compensate.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 23, 2014, 08:51:19 pm »

I think most people just ignored the requests and chopped all they wanted.  If the elves declared war, so be it.

It shouldn't be such a big deal with the current version though, since trees generate way more wood.  That is, unless Toady reduced the quotas to compensate.
I would be happier if the elves were more effective at things.  Like bringing better animals for war and utilizing support skills better.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 23, 2014, 09:22:22 pm »

Anybody had trouble with losing rock nuts? I checked my kitchen settings and they were definitely set to not-cook. My second fort so far in 40.0x and I am out of rock nuts again by the second year.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 23, 2014, 09:31:41 pm »

I think there's a problem in the raws that makes quarry bushes produce fewer rock nuts or not at all.  See here for a possible fix: Repairing quarry bush

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 24, 2014, 07:41:03 pm »

I heard that if a dwarf has "Legendary" in dodging, shield user, and in a weapon skill, he sill be so good at avoiding attacks, that they are literally untouchable and can keep fighting until they collapse of exhaustion.

Are legendary vampires immune to exhaustion, and therefore, can not die from a sword?

Or am I confusing sleep with tiredness?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 24, 2014, 09:05:41 pm »

The legendary skill in defenses thing used to be true, and may still be.  I know I've read somewhere that defending against multiple enemies got a lot harder in .40, so it may not be so simple anymore.  Against single foes it probably is still true.

Vampires I'm not sure about, as I've yet to actually run into one...

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 24, 2014, 09:49:57 pm »

Why is everyone "Overwhelmed by horror!"?
No undead around, nothing! A squirrel man was killed by my dog... is that why? He screamed for help while he died too. (te he)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 24, 2014, 10:16:24 pm »

Yep, that's why.  I've read of dwarves even being afraid of dead animals, but I'm not positive about that one.

In short, everything is terrifying right now.  Only lots of Discipline skill helps.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 25, 2014, 06:00:03 am »

Is there a way to assign an animal of specific gender to a cage? When interacting with the cage, the gender of the animal does not appear.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 25, 2014, 06:05:17 am »

Is there a way to assign an animal of specific gender to a cage? When interacting with the cage, the gender of the animal does not appear.

You could just give them nicknames, I guess.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 25, 2014, 11:17:04 am »

Also, this isn't really a DF2014 question, but if I were to post the story/chronicle/journal of my fort (singleplayer, non-fiction), which forum would it go to?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 25, 2014, 01:02:41 pm »

Also, this isn't really a DF2014 question, but if I were to post the story/chronicle/journal of my fort (singleplayer, non-fiction), which forum would it go to?
Bay 12 Games Forum > Dwarf Fortress > DF Community Games & Stories
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 268