Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440168 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #285 on: July 30, 2014, 09:40:43 pm »

I know that gathering fruit and things from trees hasn't been implemented yet, but is it possible to make use of the new plants yet?  In particular, I have a lot of string bean plants, some garlic plants, and long yam plants.  Reading the raws says that the seeds of these are edible, but I'm not sure how to get those seeds.  The plants themselves aren't cookable or brewable, and aren't edible directly.  Does processing or threshing them do anything?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 30, 2014, 11:15:50 pm »

I know that gathering fruit and things from trees hasn't been implemented yet, but is it possible to make use of the new plants yet?  In particular, I have a lot of string bean plants, some garlic plants, and long yam plants.  Reading the raws says that the seeds of these are edible, but I'm not sure how to get those seeds.  The plants themselves aren't cookable or brewable, and aren't edible directly.  Does processing or threshing them do anything?

Exactly the same thing I was thinking while downgrading the plants for a 34.11 project. Couple hours, half way through the list, I realized... there's no feasible way to get the seeds from some types of plants like beans and nuts. Modded them to be edible/cooked, cause I figure the plant part you're eating is the seeds anyway, eating some and saving some.

What's this about yams, though? They can all be cooked and long yams can be eaten raw.

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

RoofLizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 31, 2014, 01:42:32 am »

I've noticed that in 40.05 I only get one age (Myth Age).

In the older stable 30 branch it would generate several Ages. Did DF2014 turn ages off or is something funky happening on my end?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 31, 2014, 02:16:30 am »

I haven't genned many worlds in 0.40.05 specifically, but in 0.40 in general I've seen plenty of Ages of Legends, Heroes, Goblins and Golden Ages. You're just getting unlucky.

Maybe lowering the number of monsters or letting the world run for longer helps.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

RoofLizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 31, 2014, 02:29:14 am »

I haven't genned many worlds in 0.40.05 specifically, but in 0.40 in general I've seen plenty of Ages of Legends, Heroes, Goblins and Golden Ages. You're just getting unlucky.

Maybe lowering the number of monsters or letting the world run for longer helps.

Looks like you are right. It's weird because for several goes in a row it was just one age :0

Then you posted, and fixed everything.

Fey...

Jebus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 31, 2014, 07:02:01 am »

Hello dearest dwarf fanatics

I have e question or maybe I should name it a problem.
First, i'm playing v.0.34.11

After an ambush I could luckily catch 7 goblins. They are stored in on of my stockpiles now. For trainig issues I assigned them to an empty (built) cage in my barracks. Unfortunately nobody of my dwarf feels competent to bring goblins to the empty cage. They are assigned in the cage menu and have the green box in that menu.
My most dwarfes have the 'animal hauling' job activatet. Also some have 'animal training' and the other (in therapist) green jobs.

Did I forgot a step? why didnt they bring my prisoners to the cage?
In one of my earlier fortress this wasn't a problem. Does anybody have an idea or a clue for me?

-thanks-

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 31, 2014, 07:37:11 am »

What's this about yams, though? They can all be cooked and long yams can be eaten raw.

Hmm, I think I had yam plants and not yams directly, again with no readily apparent way to get the yams off of the plants for eating.  I guess for now I'll have to just use a very small subset of the new plants which can be cooked or brewed directly.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 31, 2014, 09:45:10 am »

First, i'm playing v.0.34.11

You might have more luck in the DF2012 thread.

After an ambush I could luckily catch 7 goblins. They are stored in on of my stockpiles now. For trainig issues I assigned them to an empty (built) cage in my barracks. Unfortunately nobody of my dwarf feels competent to bring goblins to the empty cage. They are assigned in the cage menu and have the green box in that menu.

I've never attempted inter-cage transfers with hostiles.  Why not simply build the cage that already has the goblin in it?

Also for the record: I would not advise attempting this kind of hostile-prisoner transfer in 0.40.  Many people have tried it, and the results have not been pretty.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 31, 2014, 10:55:56 am »

Yeah, to be more specific the age of myth happens if there is still over a certain threshold of megabeasts and other monsters. If not enough of them are dying, or you are starting out with a large number of them, then it can last for quite a while.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #294 on: July 31, 2014, 07:40:07 pm »

I have several small houses made of leather and fur on my embark map. Also campfires. Looks like an abandoned settlement but there was no indication of it on the embark screen. Never seen it before .40, is it a new feature?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

JoeJoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 31, 2014, 07:43:12 pm »

"houses" made of leather and fur are probably tents. Looks like you embarked on an army campsite. That's pretty cool, but not sure if intended.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 01, 2014, 03:36:45 pm »

If I already have a Legendary dining room, will increasing the quality further have any effect?

MeMyselfAndI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 01, 2014, 03:41:48 pm »

For everything else, you should re-apply your changes to the files, one by one...

Alternatively, a way that takes less time (and is less error-prone) is to do a (3-way) merge of an unmodified copy of the old version, your actual old version (with modifications), and the new version.

damnit,urist,youhadonejob

• Bay Watcher
  • ugh don't build your self on that side of the wall
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 01, 2014, 07:54:16 pm »

hello, i am new to the forum but not to dwarf fortress itself.
so my question is, has anybody else ran into getting light into there under ground farm by building the farm under a stump? is there any danger of enemies getting in through the stump?
also how do i keep the armok dammed goblins from climbing over my walls?

Donlol

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 02, 2014, 11:24:04 am »

Hey there everyone!
Does anyone else have a problem with moving your military dwarves to burrows? In my fortress, they get the "defend burrow" job in jobs list, but they seem to freeze in some random spot and never reach the designated burrow, they just stand doing nothing. Since they do get that "defend" job I believe I've set up everything correctly. First time I've run into something like this, in previous versions I had no problems. Any tips/solutions?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 268