Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 439967 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #315 on: August 03, 2014, 02:17:41 pm »

I don't have an anvil, since I prefer spending the embark points on other stuff and instead buy one from the caravan later.

I would suggest you rethink this strategy in 0.40.  The first migrant waves and first caravan are not 100% guaranteed (if you get a bandit siege at the start of autumn, it'll prevent the caravan's arrival, as sieges do).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 03, 2014, 02:28:54 pm »

Is there some way to attract undead? At the moment they just mill around on the edge of the map, and with there being 50 of them all armed I can't really take them down by force of arms. I want to trap them, but when I open my gates they don't swarm towards them like goblins do...

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 03, 2014, 03:16:04 pm »

Is there some way to attract undead? At the moment they just mill around on the edge of the map, and with there being 50 of them all armed I can't really take them down by force of arms. I want to trap them, but when I open my gates they don't swarm towards them like goblins do...

Create a squad of one useless cowardly brave dwarf and have him run with in a couple squares of them, then fall back.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:18:07 pm by locustgate »

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 03, 2014, 04:23:26 pm »

Create a squad of one useless cowardly brave dwarf and have him run with in a couple squares of them, then fall back.

Unfortunately that doesn't work. First dwarf I tried was a coward, initially they just run away. Then they come back to the previous position I sent them to even though I changed the location I wanted them to station at, and died to one zombie. Then I tried again with a non-coward dwarf in full armor, had them station 7 squares or so away from the nearest undead, and they just ran right at it and died as well...
Is there someway to force the dwarves to do what you tell them to?!

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 03, 2014, 11:46:33 pm »

Is there someway to force the dwarves to do what you tell them to?!

ha ha ha ha... no.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 04, 2014, 01:08:06 pm »

In a small world around what year do Necromancer towers start to generate, and on a side note what year do you start accumulating fps slow down from history.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 04, 2014, 01:11:22 pm »

In theory the FPS hit should be gradual and proportional to the length of history generation, so a specific year probably won't do anybody a whole lot of good.  Whether it's logarithmic (really doubt it), linear (maybe) or exponential (probably) on the number of years I don't know if anyone knows yet.  Anecdotally I still get 100 FPS after a year in game with ~15 dwarves with 125 years of history, but how that translates to others I can't say.  I'd probably just avoid genning 1000+ year histories, for several reasons.

No idea about the necromancers.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 04, 2014, 01:17:20 pm »

In theory the FPS hit should be gradual and proportional to the length of history generation, so a specific year probably won't do anybody a whole lot of good.  Whether it's logarithmic (really doubt it), linear (maybe) or exponential (probably) on the number of years I don't know if anyone knows yet.  Anecdotally I still get 100 FPS after a year in game with ~15 dwarves with 125 years of history, but how that translates to others I can't say.  I'd probably just avoid genning 1000+ year histories, for several reasons.

No idea about the necromancers.

I'm getting 50fps after 1 migration with 15 dwarves and 2 years of history. Although that was with 50 animals.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 01:20:10 pm by locustgate »

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 04, 2014, 02:45:25 pm »

Is there a good way to check the sizes of creatures in fort mode?

When a zombie giant thrips shows up, I'd like to know how big it is before fighting it. Breadbox-sized is giant for a thrips, but so is car-sized.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 04, 2014, 02:58:00 pm »

When a zombie giant thrips shows up, I'd like to know how big it is before fighting it. Breadbox-sized is giant for a thrips, but so is car-sized.

Not unless it has it 'is thin but overall large' etc.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 04, 2014, 03:10:06 pm »

Not unless it has it 'is thin but overall large' etc.

But that only tells you how it is compared to their species' average.

The wiki should tell you though. Or you could dive into the raws and look for the numbers yourself.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 04, 2014, 03:20:45 pm »

So for things like dragons with variable size, there's no way of knowing how large they are?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 04, 2014, 03:38:44 pm »

Nope.  I think there is some trickery you can do with pressure plates if you're just dying to know a specific creature's size (maybe mass, not sure if the game distinguishes this for pressure plates), but it's a ton of work for little gain.

Third party tools might let you get at the data more directly.  I know it was possible in a way with DFHack, but DFHack hasn't been completely updated for any .40 release yet.  No idea about something like Dwarf Therapist, since I never used it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 04, 2014, 03:49:03 pm »

So does the (worldgen) population cap have an affect on weather or not a entity goes extinct, with a 5k popcap I noticed that dwarves almost always go extinct/become ruins after about 50 years.

Correction either dwarves or humans or elves.

P.S. Does anyone know how to keep civs small without going extinct.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 04:00:15 pm by locustgate »

Megawott06

• Bay Watcher
  • A dorfy Dewott.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 04, 2014, 04:43:44 pm »

Question. Is it normal to have two of your starting seven dwarves give birth without having a husband, like don't even have a husband on their relationship screen?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 268