Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440126 times)

Spacefush

• Escaped Lunatic
  • A fush is sorta like a fish exept it's not a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #330 on: August 04, 2014, 05:37:50 pm »

Hello, I'm new to Dwarf Fortress and the forum. My first fortress is coming along alright, at least after solving an alcohol shortage (turns out I was putting in the wrong command at the still). However, a large group of Grey Langurs shows up periodically. I guess I could have encountered worse things than monkeys, but if they come close to my fort they start running around in a panic, scaring off everything in my pastures. Then, sometimes they'll get trapped in the fort itself, running endlessly in circles from dwarves going about their normal work. One immigrant brought along an iron crossbow & about 40 bolts, so is it better to put them out of my misery, and how would I order someone to do that?

Additionally, I know it's possible to have pastures underground. How do I get the moss stuff for the animals to eat? Sorry if these are noob questions and I made my post too long, but a bit of advice on this would help me out a bunch.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 04, 2014, 05:50:15 pm »

Question. Is it normal to have two of your starting seven dwarves give birth without having a husband, like don't even have a husband on their relationship screen?

Might be a side-effect of removing the need for a child token for creatures to breed. Might be a bug. Check the kid's relations menu, and see if it lists the father or not.

-snipped for space-

The reason the langurs are in your fort is because they are trying to steal stuff. But with the new fear mechanics they are failing miserably at it.

You could make a squad and toss some random dwarves into it to make them attack the langurs, but they may end up flailing about in fear as well. Once they get a higher discipline skill they will be better at military work though.

Press 'm' to enter the military screen. This screen allows you to select who goes in the military, what their gear is, and other things such as their scheduling. Don't enlist miners, hunters, or woodcutters, as they can get a bit confused as to which pieces of equipment to use, as their civilian jobs already have a uniform that they must wear.

Back on the standard view screen, press 's' to open the squad screen, then select the letter corresponding to the squad you want to choose, then press 'k' to give a kill order. Once you select the kill order, you can then mouse over what you want killed, and select them. Or you can choose from a list.

To get moss and fungus to grow, you first have to breach a cavern.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 04, 2014, 07:28:45 pm »

With the new pulping feature what is the current 'best weapon', I know hammers were the best against humanoids and axes with everything else.

Question. Is it normal to have two of your starting seven dwarves give birth without having a husband, like don't even have a husband on their relationship screen?

.......They have to have a husband at least at conception.......I'm not sure if the husband is removed if they die, if not then bug.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 07:37:43 pm by locustgate »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 04, 2014, 08:49:33 pm »

Yeah, definitely sounds like a bug.  The starting seven don't have any historical information before your fort begins (unless Toady changed that just now), so they can't have a worldgen marriage, and if they've never been married in your fort it should be impossible.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 05, 2014, 05:22:55 am »

I have a dwarf who is unable to walk (but can slowly crawl around when needed). She is on her bed but for some reason unable to sleep. Her status shows "very drowsy" but she has no thoughts about being woken up / disturbed sleep.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Edit: Oh, wait. Looks like the dwarf needed to be brought to rest (which she was after I deconstructed the bed). Nevermind.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:01:45 am by Nikita »

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 05, 2014, 06:49:22 am »

The birth on embark is a new 40_06 bug that toady acknowledged just recently in the release thread.  Breeding does not currently require marriage, which needs fixing for vanilla dwarves but has some awesome modding potential to save dfhack-iness or for vanilla civs with population issues and differant ethics like gobs/kobs.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:51:43 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 05, 2014, 07:04:12 am »

Do whips still cut through armour like a hot knife through butter?
I'm asking because in the raws toady hasn't changed anything about them. However I don't know what has changed in the combat mechanics under the hood.

Edit:
Remembered the testing arena.
Two teams 10 dwarfs each.
Grand master armour user, discipline, lasher, axedwarf.
Both sides full candy armour.
One side candy axes the other side copper whips.

5 mostly uninjured lashers survived. One lost a tooth and one has his foot cut open.
Combat log looks pretty devastating. Copper whips cause chipping and bruising right through the candy armour.

It seems the melee weapons are as broken as ever.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 07:37:41 am by SeelenJägerTee »

Hugo Rune

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 05, 2014, 10:16:34 am »

Hi, I'm new to DF, I just started on Friday, but I've read the Wiki and stuff. So after a couple of aborted starts, I've finally got my fortress off and running. I've just had my second dwarf caravan, but I've still not had any migrants, nor any messages about migrants, nor has my liaison mentioned anything about migrants. The Wiki said that the first two waves were hardcoded, but I've seen nothing.

Oh, and 2 of my first 7 dwarves have entered into a gay relationship, so I'm not expecting babies anytime soon either.

Is this a bug, or have I missed something somewhere?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 05, 2014, 10:31:45 am »

I've just had my second dwarf caravan, but I've still not had any migrants, nor any messages about migrants, nor has my liaison mentioned anything about migrants.

If you downloaded something other than vanilla Dwarf Fortress (some graphics set, a starter pack, a "noob pack", anything), then you probably have an old d_init.txt file without the STRICT_POPULATION_CAP in it.

The Wiki said that the first two waves were hardcoded, but I've seen nothing.

They were in 0.34.  It is not known how they behave in 0.40.

Oh, and 2 of my first 7 dwarves have entered into a gay relationship, so I'm not expecting babies anytime soon either.

Is this a bug, or have I missed something somewhere?

The gay relationships are not a bug.  Lack of babies and migrants might be a bug in your third-party starter pack or graphics set (which you can fix by adding the missing setting in d_init).  There may be another bug in 0.40.06 where dwarves give birth without being married.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 05, 2014, 10:37:24 am »

is it just me, or am I only get 1 block per log of wood?

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 05, 2014, 10:48:15 am »

Why do my axedwarves do wrestling demonstrations... they are fully geared.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 05, 2014, 10:48:58 am »

is it just me, or am I only get 1 block per log of wood?

That's how it's always been.  The 4 blocks per stone thing is relatively recent (0.34.08 I think).

(Edit: yes, I remembered correctly.  http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_2012.html shows multiple blocks per stone leading up to 0.34.08.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 05, 2014, 10:51:52 am »

Wrestling demonstrations are normal, because it's a skill every dwarf can sometimes use during combat.  If they are never sparring with their weapons, that's bug #7519.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 05, 2014, 12:42:15 pm »

Wrestling demonstrations are normal, because it's a skill every dwarf can sometimes use during combat.  If they are never sparring with their weapons, that's bug #7519.

No they spar with weapons all the time.

NobleNecromancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 05, 2014, 02:00:16 pm »

The Wiki said that the first two waves were hardcoded, but I've seen nothing.

They were in 0.34.  It is not known how they behave in 0.40.

I remember Toady saying that even in .40 the first two waves are hardcoded, but the game respects your strict pop cap if you set it below 0 and will "send" 0 immigrants.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 268