Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440004 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #360 on: August 06, 2014, 08:46:23 am »

I don't think playing as a baby snatching civ has any effect in either game mode aside from the fact that non baby snatchers will be hostile toward you.  It might allow migrants from other species if they were baby snatched and kept as historical figures, but again I've never tried and don't know for sure.  There are probably still problems with that anyway.

There's definitely no baby snatching mechanic in fort mode at least, but Toady may have put in something in adventure mode.  I've never heard of such, so I doubt it, but I never play adventure mode.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 06, 2014, 08:52:09 am »

Is outdoor fields buged? So far every game even though I have outdoor seeds and 2 idle farmers my farm dwarves wont plant anything.

So I'm making a small fortified entrance. I read earlier in the thread that siegers usually wont climb a 2z wall of smooth. My plan is to build ,(built) the 1st lvl smooth, 2nd lvl smooth rear and fortifications facing towards the entrance, and the 3rd to be full fortifications. The entrance is in the middle of the first lvl and can be sealed with a bridge. SO I'm wondering if climbers can climb through or over fortifications?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 10:47:03 am by locustgate »

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 06, 2014, 12:39:57 pm »

Question to the cave-in experts:

Do falling items (not terrain) cause cave-ins? If not, is there any way to cause a cave-in without damaging anything not below the cave-in? I have some sensitive plumbing so I can't afford to actually mine/channel anything.

Oh, and the point of making this particular cave-in is to remove 100+ levels of floors (the walls between floors are already mined out).

igotsmeakabob!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 06, 2014, 02:50:35 pm »

edit: fixed!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 02:58:28 pm by igotsmeakabob!! »

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 06, 2014, 03:51:05 pm »

How do you generate more taigas and towers?

I've increased the number of forests and decreased the min temperature.

Ive got 1000 secrets and 10 civs but after 500 years I've got 1 tower.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 05:33:52 pm by locustgate »

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 06, 2014, 06:37:42 pm »

Try ramping up the number of sites.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 06, 2014, 07:39:14 pm »

Try ramping up the number of sites.

Nope other than dwarves have an empire that covers 1/4 of the land mass.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 09, 2014, 01:46:44 pm »

I was tinkering around with generating worlds in advance and didn't save before, I found a world that I liked, but the generation parameters don't match.....from the legends (p). So is there another way to get the actual parameter.

silverthief

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 09, 2014, 02:04:52 pm »

Im on the new DF version and noticed some weirdness with some select workshops like the fishery. Ill place it and none of my dwarves build it. Then when I hit q and look at it, it says needs any fishing and , while I do have a fisherdwarf, none of my dwarves build it. Any solutions?

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 09, 2014, 02:18:33 pm »

Im on the new DF version and noticed some weirdness with some select workshops like the fishery. Ill place it and none of my dwarves build it. Then when I hit q and look at it, it says needs any fishing and , while I do have a fisherdwarf, none of my dwarves build it. Any solutions?

Are you sure he has it active, I've gotten a mechanic with no mechanic skills active. Try turning someone else fishing on if it doesn't work then bug.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 09, 2014, 03:46:51 pm »

Building a workshop is a matter of having the labor enabled on a dwarf.  Their skill level or profession title does not matter.

Also, constructing buildings is one of those medium-priority jobs that dwarves will sometimes postpone just because they don't feel like doing it.  (Or something like that.)  So, if you just told a dwarf that he's now a fish cleaner, he still might wait a while before getting around to building the fishery.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 09, 2014, 06:59:50 pm »

What is the top tier goblin weapon and what are the gobs most frequent weapon?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 09, 2014, 08:02:04 pm »

What is the top tier goblin weapon and what are the gobs most frequent weapon?

Whips are still very powerful, from what I've heard, though they are slightly slower to swing now. Ranged weapons have been nerfed, so they are not as much of a threat as they used to be, so long as your dwarves are armoured.

Weapon frequency should be more-or-less random. There isn't any weighting system in place to make one more common, unlike clothing.

badwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 10, 2014, 08:40:21 pm »

How do I add custom key bindings for tasks that normally don't have one? Creating ones for wheelbarrows or rock pots, for instnace.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 11, 2014, 12:43:05 am »

Hmm, adding a keybinding for a workshop option?  That requires a touch of modding.

If still interested:  you probably cant reach all the vanilla workshops and wont be able to put shortcuts on some stuff, theres certain hardcode going on.

The folder DwarfFortress/objects/raw contains a reaction_other text file. open that in notepad or similar.  First two entries are going to be milling seeds and cooking fat for a vanilla DF.  You might notice the lines
[BUILDING:QUERN:CUSTOM_S]  and [BUILDING:KITCHEN:CUSTOM_R]
Thats how those keybindings you want are assigned.  It will support i believe ctrl+, shift+, alt+, but you'd have to dig the syntax up from somewhere.  You can assign to any workshop task you might create for a mod workshop, and you could alter/add to any vanilla reaction exposed like this in your RAWs, but a great number of the vanilla shops and reactions dont appear anywhere in the RAWs, its compiled in somewhere.  Your two examples for instance.  wheelbarrow is carpenter, I know you cant touch carpenter, you'd have to give wheelbarrows to another workshop entirely (and write a custom reaction since there is no wheelbarrow reaction in the raws), rock pot is craftsdwarf and i know you can do some tricks with that shop since i've seen them modded.  That particular reaction however....

Explore the reaction RAWs, try the modding forum for further help.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:51:14 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 268