Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438811 times)

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #495 on: September 08, 2014, 08:01:14 pm »

I wanted to ask if the dwarves (and fortress animals) growing in age but not in size bug has been fixed by Toady in the latest version.

If not, would someone be kind enough to direct me to the df hack fix for the bug? I think someone made a fix back when this was still breaking news.
Fixed by Toady, in .40.0x

Thanks!

Perhaps I can get this animal army only challenge fort going.

TherionChilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 09, 2014, 01:46:23 pm »

A couple of questions:
First, is there any way to control which types of evil biome effects propagate during or after world gen, either by in-game option, utility, or by altering raw data in the created world?
On a related note, is there any way to control which civilizations are created?  Can certain civs be turned "off" during world gen?

Basically, I'm picturing a mostly evil world, in which the evil biomes all raise the dead, and in which the only civilizations are dwarves and necro towers.  Is there any conceivable way this could come about? 

Also, I'm in my first play-through in the new version, and I've noticed that three years in, not a single dwarf has reproduced yet...  Is this a bug, is there a sterility biome effect, or did I just get a fortress full of sexual anorexics?
Video games should be more like life...  you never win; they just get harder and faster until you eventually die.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 09, 2014, 03:39:35 pm »

It's not trivial to get what you want, but some of it's not too hard.  For starters, you can just remove the entity_x.txt files in your raws directory for everything but the dwarves, which is entity_mountain.txt if I recall correctly.  That will cause only dwarves to spawn in world gen.

Getting rid of the evil biome effects and having only reanimation in their place is doable but harder.  You need to create a new regional interaction in your raws, make it evil only, and then use advanced worldgen and turn down regional effects to 0.  If I remember right, that will cause only yours to be used.  I've done something similar to this in the past, but it's kind of involved so you'd probably be best off asking in the modding forum.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 09, 2014, 04:13:22 pm »

My militia commander seems to prefer bashing enemies with his wooden crutch instead of impaling them with his masterwork spear. Is there any way I can get him to swap out the crappy crutch for a nice heavy metal one?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 09, 2014, 05:59:06 pm »

Evil worlds and non-breeding dwarves.

You can't edit the randomly generated effects, but you can disable them and create your own. There are options in the advanced world generator to set the amount of randomly generated rains, clouds, and many other things. Setting them to zero will disable them, while still using the player created ones.

Civs can be prevented from spawning in a few ways. Go into the file called entity_default.txt, that's where all of the entities are. You could outright delete non-dwarven raws, but it may be easier to instead remove certain tokens that control where the civs spawn or what site types they like, what their populations are, or what creature belongs to the civ.

Necromancers are a bit more difficult, as towers aren't controllable in the raws. You could make more necromancer secrets, and give them more spheres that just death so that more gods can grant that blessing though.

To help you figure out how to make the weather and necromancer interactions, check out the folder within the raw folder called 'interaction examples', which has files to show you how to make things such as were-creatures, vampires, necromancers, and evil weather.

For dwarves to reproduce, they must be married. If there are married couples and they aren't reproducing, then I don't know what to say. You may just not be waiting long enough, or they may be having miscarriages. That can be caused by things such as starvation, dehydration, or injuries.

My militia commander seems to prefer bashing enemies with his wooden crutch instead of impaling them with his masterwork spear. Is there any way I can get him to swap out the crappy crutch for a nice heavy metal one?

Have you tried forbidding the crutch in his inventory? You could also try marking it for dumping and place a garbage dump somewhere nearby. Then just forbid all non-metal crutches so that he can only choose a metal one.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 09, 2014, 09:29:29 pm »

Have you tried forbidding the crutch in his inventory? You could also try marking it for dumping and place a garbage dump somewhere nearby. Then just forbid all non-metal crutches so that he can only choose a metal one.

Forbidding the crutch did no good, but marking it for dumping did the trick. A heartless dwarf walked up, grabbed the crutch out of his hand, and left him in a crumpled heap on the floor. Eventually he was hauled to the hospital where the crack chief medical dwarf diagnosed that his leg was still missing and issued him another crutch. In all, a relatively painless process, at least in Dwarf Fortress terms.

Thanks!

TherionChilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 10, 2014, 07:57:53 am »

Evil worlds and non-breeding dwarves.

You can't edit the randomly generated effects, but you can disable them and create your own. There are options in the advanced world generator to set the amount of randomly generated rains, clouds, and many other things. Setting them to zero will disable them, while still using the player created ones.

Civs can be prevented from spawning in a few ways. Go into the file called entity_default.txt, that's where all of the entities are. You could outright delete non-dwarven raws, but it may be easier to instead remove certain tokens that control where the civs spawn or what site types they like, what their populations are, or what creature belongs to the civ.

Necromancers are a bit more difficult, as towers aren't controllable in the raws. You could make more necromancer secrets, and give them more spheres that just death so that more gods can grant that blessing though.

To help you figure out how to make the weather and necromancer interactions, check out the folder within the raw folder called 'interaction examples', which has files to show you how to make things such as were-creatures, vampires, necromancers, and evil weather.

Thanks for the detailed response...While I have many follow-up questions, I understand this is more of a modding issue, so I'll try discussing in another sub-.  Thanks for getting me looking in the right direction. 

Video games should be more like life...  you never win; they just get harder and faster until you eventually die.

Showbiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 10, 2014, 11:48:42 am »

Since 40.11 Starter Pack v3 the F12 button (toggle Tilefonts) seems not to work anymore for me. Keybindings are correct assigned. Any Idea how to fix this?
Pardon for my mistakes
english isn't my native language

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 10, 2014, 01:23:09 pm »

Why wouldn't my butcher butcher the three dead chinchillas killed by my hunter, even when they are in a refuse pile?
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 10, 2014, 01:31:10 pm »

Why wouldn't my butcher butcher the three dead chinchillas killed by my hunter, even when they are in a refuse pile?
Because there is a whole wiki to check instead of asking here.  More than one, even.

Chinchillas are crepuscular (most active around dawn and dusk) rodents, slightly larger and more robust than ground squirrels.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinchilla

'A tiny furry rodent dwelling in the hollow cracks of rocks. They can be found high in the mountains.
Chinchillas are too small to be butchered, but unfortunately your hunters will still hunt them, wasting both time and ammo.'
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Chinchilla
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 10, 2014, 01:35:00 pm »

Because they are too tiny to yield anything and hunters are dumb...
Yes, I know, there is ant brain strew from caravans. That's a doofy bug.  ;D

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 10, 2014, 01:49:18 pm »

Ah, blast. I had a feeling it was that they were too small.

Ant brain stew? Must have been a hard job, getting the brains.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 20, 2014, 01:23:38 am »

Does anyone know any good 3d rendering programs that work for the newest version?

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 20, 2014, 04:15:09 am »

FPS lag fixed?

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 20, 2014, 05:10:02 am »

FPS lag fixed?

It's a step up from 40.12 to 40.13, my 170ish dwarf fort was close to what i consider unplayable 20fps before now it rarely dips under 40.
Meeting halls still seem to kill fps, tho.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 268