Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440044 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #690 on: November 06, 2014, 05:22:22 am »

Tantruming dwarves can start fist fights with merchants. That might have something to do with it.
()==[:::::::::::::>

SEM58

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 06, 2014, 01:10:24 pm »

3rd: Concerning this human caravan: Somehow the wagon didn't manage to pass through my gate, which is nothing more than a three-space-wide opening in my wall. Several other wagons of other caravans managed without a problem. Many questions arise from this: a) Why did the wagon die? I don't have any reports of fighting, and there are really none of the invaders left ... b) Where are the other two wagons? I cannot find them - are they dead, too? I can only engrave a slab for a single wagon, but that doesn't need to mean anything I guess (according to 2b ...).

Could perhaps be related to the horrified wagon bug?
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7185

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 06, 2014, 05:48:01 pm »

Can I train patience by letting my dwarves fish in inappropriate places?

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 07, 2014, 02:40:40 am »

Figured out the answer so changes question. I've produced lye. So far about 10. Stocks say I got that amount but I cant find where it is, in which stockpile and soap make says I dont have none.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 03:19:25 am by Psilobe »

CatKate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: November 07, 2014, 05:09:47 am »

Hey guys, thanks for the answers!

But no. No tantrum going on in my fortress. And none of the merchants were horrified ... So I'm still looking for the answers above. Anyhow, I also have a very short and simple (I guess) one:

I cannot build stepladders, neither at my carpenter's nor in my crafts. My manager doesn't even find the order for them. So I searched the forum and found the somewhat cryptic "search your entity file" answer, which apparently worked out for the asker. Can anybody explain to me which file this is and what I have to insert there to make stepladders available? So far I only found the "item_tool" file, which does not contain stepladders in my built.

Thank you very much!
Cheers,
Cat

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 07, 2014, 05:54:24 am »

Figured out the answer so changes question. I've produced lye. So far about 10. Stocks say I got that amount but I cant find where it is, in which stockpile and soap make says I dont have none.

Lye is listed under food, misc. liquid. (You really have to make highly elaborate custom stockpiles to get a proper soap industry working.)

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: November 07, 2014, 06:59:02 am »

Lye is listed under food, misc. liquid. (You really have to make highly elaborate custom stockpiles to get a proper soap industry working.)

Do you know in qhich cases it wont be accsessible? I managed to get it going by cranking out enough lye. Had a few asheries on repeat and a lyeworkshop on the same. Burned through almost two loads of prime elven imported wood. I'm not sure but I think my problem came from a few containers which was first used not being avalible to my soap maker. Can you dump lye in a pond or on your enemies?

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 07, 2014, 11:09:14 am »

Do you know in qhich cases it wont be accsessible? I managed to get it going by cranking out enough lye. Had a few asheries on repeat and a lyeworkshop on the same. Burned through almost two loads of prime elven imported wood. I'm not sure but I think my problem came from a few containers which was first used not being avalible to my soap maker. Can you dump lye in a pond or on your enemies?

You need to do the science yourself for unconventional lye application.

If you want to account for all lye you have, you have to customize your food stockpiles properly, so that it doesn't accidentally ends up in some weird food stockpile. (I never keep surplus lye, but I play small, desert embarks with very limited underground and imported wood resources.) I also never had more than one ashery even in a large fortress.

tahu16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: November 07, 2014, 11:14:42 am »

I'm planning a fortress in which the soldiers have no civilian skills. It is possible to house them continuously in the barracks (then they would train in every single day of their life), or should I build for them civilian rooms too and command them to train in every second month?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: November 07, 2014, 12:23:09 pm »

I'm planning a fortress in which the soldiers have no civilian skills. It is possible to house them continuously in the barracks (then they would train in every single day of their life), or should I build for them civilian rooms too and command them to train in every second month?
You can assign them rooms if you want, but if they are always on duty and always set to sleep in the barracks they wont do much other than take breaks there (as opposed to meeting areas) and store stuff in their rooms.

So the answer is no, you dont have to give full-time military rooms.  But it would be nice.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: November 07, 2014, 02:51:44 pm »

Hey guys, thanks for the answers!

But no. No tantrum going on in my fortress. And none of the merchants were horrified ... So I'm still looking for the answers above. Anyhow, I also have a very short and simple (I guess) one:

I cannot build stepladders, neither at my carpenter's nor in my crafts. My manager doesn't even find the order for them. So I searched the forum and found the somewhat cryptic "search your entity file" answer, which apparently worked out for the asker. Can anybody explain to me which file this is and what I have to insert there to make stepladders available? So far I only found the "item_tool" file, which does not contain stepladders in my built.

Thank you very much!
Cheers,
Cat

no clue on the stepladders, but on your previous questions:

are you sure the path was clear? rocks, trees, traps etc block wagon access. use D to see where the blockade is, it starts from your depot, so if it is close to your entrance, the whole map may appear inaccessible, just find where the green bit ends.

The traders might not have been able to leave if a tree grew in the wrong place or you put a trap up and gone insane. Wagons count as a creature and so can be killed by anything that could kill a dwarf, such as being kicked by a yak.

Goblins kidnap the children of other races and enslave other races outright and make them fight for them. Sieges without any goblins are remarkable but not impossible

No clue on the elves
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: November 07, 2014, 03:03:28 pm »

So I searched the forum and found the somewhat cryptic "search your entity file" answer, which apparently worked out for the asker. Can anybody explain to me which file this is and what I have to insert there to make stepladders available? So far I only found the "item_tool" file, which does not contain stepladders in my built.
It's not cryptic. If you don't have it in object definition (yes, it should be in the end of "raw/objects/item_tool.txt") and entity raws, this means either you have an old version of DF (before stepladders were introduced), or you patched it with tileset resources for a wrong version.
Or you loaded an old savegame and forgot to patch it (of course, that's not guaranteed to work at all, so make a backup).
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: November 07, 2014, 05:55:39 pm »

How do I find the numbers of the different types of intelligent creature in my world? I want to ensure my modded creatures aren't forcing out others.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: November 07, 2014, 07:42:32 pm »

:\

Go to Legends mode.  (p) for exporting.  That makes 4 files in the DF folder.

-A worldgen parameters (what settings/seeds you used)
-A worldhistory file (subterranean civ selection, gods and kings, etc)
-A world pop (population of overworld creatures and total entity populations (for all entities as a whole))  This one is the one you want  It lists all the settlements, lairs, and other sites, as well as all populations.  Contains spoilers, I guess  :-\
-A world map .bmp
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: November 08, 2014, 03:17:00 am »

Is it possible to designate a point and then quickly jump there? I'm planning a hufe construction project where all new migrants will be assigned as "deep dwarfs" and wont be allowed up where thecurrent dwarfs lives but increasing/decreasing 20+ z levels in one go is a bit annoying. If there is a lot of jumping to do.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 268