Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440188 times)

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #720 on: November 08, 2014, 07:01:39 pm »

My lye maker won't, no matter what, make any lye.  She will, when assigned to do so, go get the ash, go to the workshop, and immediately reappear, having produced nothing despite the labor assignment disappearing.  I have barrels, I have tallow (also in barrels), and I have ash.  I cannot figure out what's going on, and am now ordering lye from the liaison.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 08, 2014, 07:07:01 pm »

My lye maker won't, no matter what, make any lye.  She will, when assigned to do so, go get the ash, go to the workshop, and immediately reappear, having produced nothing despite the labor assignment disappearing.  I have barrels, I have tallow (also in barrels), and I have ash.  I cannot figure out what's going on, and am now ordering lye from the liaison.

Buckets!

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
  • Traveling at the speed of Urist (not that fast)
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 08, 2014, 07:55:35 pm »

My dwarves just suffered an attack from a werehorse. Thankfully, he turned back into a goblin in the middle of battle and was taken care of quickly. The problem is, I don't know how to check if anyone was bit during the brawl.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 08, 2014, 07:59:14 pm »

(r)eports, and manually check.  Dwarven medicine is not advanced enough to distinguish a bite from other wounds.  Check the health of those involved and then the reports of those who received wounds that broke the skin (caused bleeding).
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: November 08, 2014, 08:02:07 pm »

Buckets!

Thanks much UuU  I now have my first batch of soap on the way!

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: November 08, 2014, 08:10:14 pm »

I found the wounded warrior who made the final blow on the werehorse. Is there a way to create a commemorative statue? I know I can build statues, but is there a way to honor someone or something?

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: November 08, 2014, 08:13:53 pm »

You can carve memorials for the dead, but I'd suggest coming up with an "unofficial" way to honor them.  Give them a nice tomb or bedroom built from their favorite stone or metal, that kind of thing.

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: November 09, 2014, 12:24:12 am »

How do I keep a decent amount of soap available  (for hygene/ hospitals) if I cannot plant trees to keep supply of ash up?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: November 09, 2014, 12:31:52 am »

How do I keep a decent amount of soap available  (for hygene/ hospitals) if I cannot plant trees to keep supply of ash up?
Ash comes from trees.  Trees grow on their own.  if its a supply problem (Tundra/desert with FB problems) than dig out a (very) large room, making it at least 2 zlevels deep, and either see to it that the floor is wet or made of soil/sand.  Trees will grow there once the cavern is popped.

But in truth, wood is plenty abundant and 1 bar lasts for quite a while.  Making 20 bars of soap will almost eliminate the need for more for the life of the fort, unless its a really stable fort.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: November 09, 2014, 02:24:21 am »

Two rather moronic dwarves decided to drink from the river while standing on ice. The ice broke and both drown in the river. Do I have to entomb them so I don't suffer from angry ghosts? If so, does anyone have a suggestion of how to get the bodies out of the water?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: November 09, 2014, 02:40:21 am »

You can create a memorial by making a slab out of stone, then having that stone engraved in a craftdwarf's workshop. Then build the engraved memorial somewhere.

This will prevent ghosts without having to retrieve and entomb the body of the deceased.

Or set up some pits and some screw pumps to manually drain the water and hope that it drains fast enough for the body to be retrieved. Or wait for the river to freeze again and dig the corpse out.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: November 09, 2014, 05:19:04 am »

Non hostile world? I'm a few years in with my fort now, 80+ dwarfs and 120k exported wealth but not a single thief, ambush or siege. The most interesting thing was a waresloth early on. The liason reports that nothing has happened all year and I'm starting to think all fun loving neighbors might have been eradicated throughout history. How long should I keep hoping for an invasion before digging straight down in search of fun?

specify "a few years". If they were listed as neighbours, they will at some point attack. 3 years isn't much, 8 would be rather extreme. In any case, most reports are that goblins steamroll the world and tend not to get extinguished
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: November 09, 2014, 04:34:07 pm »

Does magma not start forest/grass fires? I got sieged by undead and punctured my volcanoe to set everything on fire but to my dissapiontment NOTHING caught fire. the magma just slowly flooded the plains full of grass, shrubs and trees without anything catching fire.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: November 09, 2014, 06:01:16 pm »

Does magma not start forest/grass fires? I got sieged by undead and punctured my volcanoe to set everything on fire but to my dissapiontment NOTHING caught fire. the magma just slowly flooded the plains full of grass, shrubs and trees without anything catching fire.

Sounds like you have temperature disabled. You'll need to enable it to get fires.

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: November 09, 2014, 06:04:38 pm »

Sounds like you have temperature disabled. You'll need to enable it to get fires.

no. it is enabled
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 268