Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440197 times)

WDDworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #960 on: December 05, 2014, 03:35:11 pm »

My embark has 2 ocean biomes (and 1 land biome, but irrelevant for the question).

I dug out my fort right under the first ocean biome on the same level as the lowest level of the second ocean biome. (first ocean is 1 tile deep, second ocean is 3 tiles deep)
The second ocean biome only exists in a small part of the left bottom corner.

The levels above and below my, dug out, fort (just 1 z-level) are 90-95% aquifer, while my fort level is mostly non-aquifer.
Seemed strange to me to have 1 big non-aquifer layer between aquifer layers, but it's not the question itself.

On my fort level I got a few plants and a mushroom tree growing on the most outer right half. (which might be a coincidence, as I already was using the left half & smoothed most of it)
These plants are still present, although it should be all smoothed out and havent bothered cleaning them up.. Im expecting it is possible to get rid off

On the left bottom side I dug out a tiny part 1 z level lower for my farms and wells.
Muddying/wells weren't a problem by using a simple manual waterpump to desalt the water and a diagonal entry to prevent pressure leaks. (and to keep it thawed during winter)

The strange thing is.. I dug out a bit more later on for my pastures and it doesn't grow any moss (or plants/trees).
The farms/pasture area is 1 z level lower than my fort level and that z-level itself is mostly aquifer (as mentioned above).

The question : Why isn't there any 'wild' growth on my second level?

Every tile, except the farm/pasture tiles themselves, are smoothened to prevent trees blocking off water.
The description on each pasture tile is: "Muddy sandstone Cavern floor" with "A small pile of mud" or something similar.
I got 8 farming plots working at 100% just to the North of the pastures and they should all be under the first ocean biome.

It is worth to mention that my caverns (atleast the first 2 caverns) seems to be randomized a bit badly.
It looks like deep pits with deep passages, but a lot of area's are inaccessible (the ramps are missing or just aren't any)
When I started to build looms (or designate parts of the caverns) my FPS dropped terribly, which I am slowly fixing by opening up each and every cavern area from a central accesspoint.(hopefully that will fix the pathing drag)
There are plants and trees in the caverns (and were already growing in the first level, as mentioned)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 03:37:59 pm by WDDworf »

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: December 06, 2014, 09:48:34 am »

How do I make a stockpile so that, when I feel it has enough of whatever it needs, it neither gives nor takes anything but remains "static"?  Taking from links only, turning everything off, changing the settings, even removing the stockpile completely - all these have only resulted in the endless shuttling of items back and forth between the main stockpile and the food and drink stockpiles in the emergency room.

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 06, 2014, 10:29:57 am »

DF2014 are there any serious bugs slowing frame rate from previous versions still?

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: December 06, 2014, 10:31:34 am »

How do I make a stockpile so that, when I feel it has enough of whatever it needs, it neither gives nor takes anything but remains "static"?  Taking from links only, turning everything off, changing the settings, even removing the stockpile completely - all these have only resulted in the endless shuttling of items back and forth between the main stockpile and the food and drink stockpiles in the emergency room.

Lock the door.

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 06, 2014, 11:13:08 am »

DF2014 are there any serious bugs slowing frame rate from previous versions still?
I've noticed some slowdown/speed-up at seemingly random times, but probably just because there are a lot of items on the screen and/or moving items.
I imagine fruit/trees are not helping with this,
but things have been playable enough that I have not felt the need of tweaks like increasing processor priority or anything.
My question is about my current 40.19 fort
Is it normal to have... ?
1. my dwarfs get stuck in a tree, one z-level above the ground? (I believe from a dodge to avoid the dreaded Kea)
I ended up having to cut the tree down to free him.
Spoiler: storytime (click to show/hide)

2. an item on the floor that blocks construction and yet no dwarf will interact with said item to remove it.
I had block stockpile which I removed part of to build a workshop but there was a stone block that no matter what I tried, no one would acknowledge, touch, or dump.
Spoiler: Things I tried (click to show/hide)
---Eventually I built the workshop type [that I had originally intended for that spot] in another spot a dozen squares away
and at some point around then the dwarfs finally decided it was okay to dump the stuck block
(they were dumping other items just fine before then i might add).
--- my only guess is that it was stuck when I first tried to build the building on top of it,
and finally released when another building of that type was planned elsewhere... ?
This was my first mechanic workshop if that somehow might matter.

Should I bug report #2?
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: December 06, 2014, 05:52:49 pm »

endless shuttling of items back and forth between the main stockpile and the food and drink stockpiles in the emergency room.

The shuffling is probably a result of dwarves consuming the emergency supplies, then restocking/replacing them. Unfortunately you can't tell them which stockpile to eat and drink from, but you can reduce consumption to minimize shuffling. For example, you can create a burrow that excludes your emergency supplies and assign your non-hauler dwarves to that burrow. Dwarves often prefer the "closest" or newest supplies, so if you fill a stockpile with older supplies farther away from your dwarves they will hopefully stick to the main stores.

1. my dwarfs get stuck in a tree, one z-level above the ground?

Dwarves climb when threatened, but don't reliably climb down after the danger has passed. There's probably already a bug report, but more saves couldn't hurt.

2. an item on the floor that blocks construction and yet no dwarf will interact with said item to remove it.

Items which are slated for use in a building will not be moved or dumped. This is normally a temporary inconvenience, but if the buildings are unreachable, suspended, or unable to be constructed due to a lack of appropriate labor then the items may sit around a very long time. You can use the jobs list to view any pending/suspended constructions and cancel them to free up the items.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: December 06, 2014, 08:56:34 pm »

Based on what I've seen, it seems that they'll only get out of the trees if they randomly wander out as part of their idling.  I seem to recall that Toady said that they were supposed to periodically run more comprehensive path finding that included climbing and jumping so that they'd get out on their own, so maybe that's when it happens.

Anyway, this problem, like many others, is made a lot worse if you play mods with fliers.  Fliers seem to love to fly up into trees when hauling things and get stuck since they don't think they can get down again.  Cutting the tree down tends to just get them stuck in midair.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: December 07, 2014, 07:33:51 am »

Guys, is a 1x1 embark possible in DF2014? I've checked the nanofort thread, but it seems to be inactive atm.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 07, 2014, 08:36:54 am »

What's the best way to retrieve bodies from a stream?  It drives me nuts having to leave them there.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: December 07, 2014, 10:02:03 am »

Guys, is a 1x1 embark possible in DF2014? I've checked the nanofort thread, but it seems to be inactive atm.

nanofort is included in the standard dfhack set of scripts.

https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack#embark-tools

What's the best way to retrieve bodies from a stream?  It drives me nuts having to leave them there.

You can install floodgates upstream so you can turn the water on and off. However I find it easier to use dfhack again. autodump is very handy for things like that.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:03:41 am by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>

rmblr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: December 07, 2014, 11:06:12 am »

Ramps are killing me.

I'm trying to create a simple downward 1x3 ramp for a caravan wagon.

Code: [Select]
    upper z  0
    ▄▄▄▄▄
    █▼▼▼█ 1x3 downward slopes
    █   █
    █   █

lower z -1
    ▄▄▄▄▄
    █▲▲▲█ 1x3 upward slopes
    █   █
    █   █

Now, here is what I did: an explanatory gif

The original topmost 1x3 was channeled, the miners went down and then couldn't get back up! So I made the 1x1 channel at the top and now dwarves can get up/down.

WTF is going on here? Why wasn't the 1x3 good enough in the first place?

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 07, 2014, 12:19:56 pm »

What is at Z +1?

()==[:::::::::::::>

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: December 07, 2014, 12:21:04 pm »

Ramps are killing me.

I'm trying to create a simple downward 1x3 ramp for a caravan wagon.

upper z  0
    ▄▄▄▄▄
    █   █
    █   █

lower z -1
    ▄▄▄▄▄
    █▲▲▲█ 1x3 upward slopes
    █   █
    █   █

Now, here is what I did: an explanatory gif

The original topmost 1x3 was channeled, the miners went down and then couldn't get back up! So I made the 1x1 channel at the top and now dwarves can get up/down.

You see what you did there?

that wont work

---

You are trying to make aramp go up and around.  Ramps dont do that.  Dig out the space behind the landing.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

rmblr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: December 07, 2014, 01:06:26 pm »

Ugh. Of course.

Watching this video again helped me realize what's going on.

I don't have DF in front of my ATM, what's the correct way?

CORRECTED?
    upper z  0
    ▄   ▄ <-- dig out space here
    █   █
    █   █

lower z -1
    █▲▲▲█ 1x3 upward slopes
    █   █
    █   █

So, dwarves can cross on the same z-level a tile with a downward or upward ramp, providing them have a full space on either side? Is that correct?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: December 07, 2014, 01:11:42 pm »

On the bottom level do not dig it out.  those walls provide the required backing.  Dig out the top level only.  But do know that the dwarves will need to path to the far side of the top level.

CORRECTED?
    upper z  0
     ▼▼▼  1x3 downward slopes
    █   █
    █   █

lower z -1
    ▄▄▄▄▄ <-- dig out space here
    █▲▲▲█  1x3 upward slopes
    █   █
    █   █

They can use the space on the sides of the top zlevel to do that.  You could clear the whole are out up top, but the path the dwarves will take has to have a wall adjacent to the ramp and a floor on the landing above.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 268