Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440103 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1350 on: March 02, 2015, 07:47:05 pm »

Can't be 100% certain, as it is a hardcoded material that is not defined in the raws.

Probably poo.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: March 02, 2015, 07:56:31 pm »

uncaged tamed spiders still wave nets, but They die pretty fast (one year), so you just waiting your dwarf life.
...and you need to replace them, and again... too much work for dwarves and too much bother micromanaging this. Especially compared to webslingers silk farm. Then again, when that stopped DF players?  :D
The good side is: constant exercise for your trainers, preparing them for work on more valuable critters.
And since Animal trainer is one of few skills that involves knowing the beast Intuition (other than Appraiser and Judge of intent), training critters all the time may help to keep your broker sharp while doing something useful, too.
Tamed vermin in general are like goldfish, you kind of expect them to die. If they run around spinning webs until their expiration date, great, if they keep a dwarf happy for a year in exchange for one negative thought at the end, alright, but I think the animal training experience is what makes the miromanagement worth it. I still have a pretty cramped footprint in this cavern, and yet my loom still hasn't stopped collecting webs here.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: March 02, 2015, 08:41:33 pm »

So um, my dwarves killed a FB made of "filth". I got to wondering, what is "filth"? Is it something like rotten meat, bones and mud? Or is it poo? Or is there poo in there too? Is there any official definition of filth? Did my dwarves kill a poo man? This is important.
Here is where its "defined"
You will note there are 2 filth materials, and you can infer what they are supposed to be.

I do think I remember seeing a quote from Toady mentioning that FB's labeled as "filth" were actually grime, and were, in his mind, swamp creature things. If thats true, it should use grime, and apparently you killed the swamp man. If that's false, well, it must use the filth definitions, and you can guess what that is...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:15:46 am by BoredVirulence »

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: March 03, 2015, 02:36:19 am »

if they keep a dwarf happy for a year in exchange for one negative thought at the end, alright

One negative thought? (Urist, Bembul and Kol were accosted by cave spiders recently.)

One year? (Must be a fortress without doors, pet vermin dies to doors just like other vermin does.)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: March 03, 2015, 08:20:48 am »

if they keep a dwarf happy for a year in exchange for one negative thought at the end, alright

One negative thought? (Urist, Bembul and Kol were accosted by cave spiders recently.)

One year? (Must be a fortress without doors, pet vermin dies to doors just like other vermin does.)
Cavern vermin stay down in the cavern level, and there actually aren't any doors, just bridges and hatches. Hatches cover the stairway in and out of the level; could that be why they haven't left? How do I get rid of the ones that aren't cave spiders after catching them? How do I get rid of ones that are already trained?

Cave adaptation is causing many more unhappy thoughts, and there's little I can do about it. Another question: How long does cave adaptation last? I've had my best militia training on a mountainside for over a year and I still see nauseated soldiers and trails of vomit along the entrance.

EDIT: A stray cat answered my question about getting rid of tamed vermin; he managed to pass 4 tightly closed hatches to wipe them all out. Then I remembered I have a pasture full of kittens and several refuse dumps for remains nearby. Now I need to figure out how to keep tamed spiders out of their reach.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:22:23 am by Uzu Bash »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: March 03, 2015, 11:20:54 am »

:-[

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: March 03, 2015, 11:21:43 am »

doublepost, sorry

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: March 03, 2015, 01:40:03 pm »

How do we assign war animals to dwarves now? V, prf screen, from what I understand the option should be there. All I can choose is slaughter, or geld for males.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: March 03, 2015, 02:20:07 pm »

How do we assign war animals to dwarves now? V, prf screen, from what I understand the option should be there. All I can choose is slaughter, or geld for males.
V and pref the dwarf for assign work animals.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: March 04, 2015, 02:21:27 pm »

Any reason why only one of my military dwarves is wearing his assigned piece of artifact armor? I have 2 artifact greaves, 2 boots, and 2 gloves assigned to different dwarves, all have a 'check' mark next to the item...but only one of them is wearing his pair of greaves, the rest remain in the armor stockpile :|
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 02:41:01 pm by KingKaol »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: March 04, 2015, 02:23:47 pm »

Are the others wearing anything in the slots that should hold the artifact gear?

Are they allowed to wear clothes other than their armour?

Sometimes dwarves are just lazy when it comes to gathering their equipment, as annoying as that can be.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: March 04, 2015, 02:55:02 pm »

Another one picked up his greaves. The dwarves do have tattered socks and shoes, maybe when they wear out they will replace them.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: March 04, 2015, 04:17:17 pm »

I might have overproduced clothing. No one has worse than xarticlex quality clothing, and a lot is laying in the shops and around bins. What's a good indicator of when the population in general needs fresh clothing?

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: March 04, 2015, 04:29:41 pm »

Another one picked up his greaves. The dwarves do have tattered socks and shoes, maybe when they wear out they will replace them.

I think I made the mistake of designating armor 'over clothing', instead of 'replace'. Looks like it's working better now.

I'm also a little bit confused, for items with 2 slots (gloves and boots), do you have to specify twice in the uniform? (leather glove, leather glove)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: March 04, 2015, 06:19:58 pm »

One is good.
In a time before time, I had a name.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 268