Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438816 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1380 on: March 09, 2015, 09:07:29 pm »

Don't know about the first one.

For the second question, it is possible to play as a non-standard race (kobold or goblin) if no other races are available.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: March 09, 2015, 10:06:45 pm »

How do I check populations after world gen?
I want to make sure the world is "healthy" before I start to play, so I want to know how many goblins, dorfs, elves and humans does current map have.

When you are finalizing the world there is the option `p: Export info` (or something like that). That will create a text file in the root df directory called `regionX-<year>-01-01-world_sites_and_pops.txt` that will show population totals (totals for uncivilized races are at the end of the file after the sites)

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
diplomacy
« Reply #1382 on: March 09, 2015, 10:10:42 pm »

I bumped an old thread on the topic to ask this but it got buried http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=145797.msg6088383#msg6088383

How do you get humans and elves to declare war on you?

I've refused the elves requests for limiting lumber production (though I'm on a tundra embark so I can't chop that many trees anyway). It actually seems like the 100-150 tree limit that they ask for is too high for the new big trees (if that means individual trees or is it number of 'logs' produced?).

I also killed the humans' olm man vampire diplomat. No war declared.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: March 09, 2015, 10:33:29 pm »

Thank you, BlackFlyme and KingKaol.

20224 Goblins

Total: 20224

So the goblins rule the world.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: March 10, 2015, 12:07:48 am »

Does that mean the world entered the "Age of Goblins", or were there still megabeasts left?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: March 10, 2015, 12:19:39 am »

It is still Myth, so yeah megabeasts.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: March 10, 2015, 12:36:37 am »

I generated another world.

Civilized World Population

6 Dwarves
   10137 Goblins

Total: 10143

But this time I could only play human outsider.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: diplomacy
« Reply #1387 on: March 10, 2015, 04:31:50 am »

I bumped an old thread on the topic to ask this but it got buried http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=145797.msg6088383#msg6088383

How do you get humans and elves to declare war on you?

I've refused the elves requests for limiting lumber production (though I'm on a tundra embark so I can't chop that many trees anyway). It actually seems like the 100-150 tree limit that they ask for is too high for the new big trees (if that means individual trees or is it number of 'logs' produced?).

Try angrying their caravans. Offer wood items to elves, seize caravan goods, kill merchants. Also check Legends to find out if nearby Elves and Humans are not busy fighting elsewhere.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: March 10, 2015, 04:24:37 pm »

How do I turn off 'plant seed' cancellations without turning off every grower's labor? I did expect this at the start of the season, but now with only half a month left, it's driving me up a wall.

Also, according to the wiki, 1 seed is needed per tile. I patchworked together 4 plots of 5 for exactly 20 seeds, enough for one planting for the season. Why are 3 seeds still in a plot?

I think this is how succession is determined in vampire-ruled nations. Whoever killed the law-giver becomes the next law-giver. You now own the humans.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: March 11, 2015, 07:16:39 pm »

Cooks don't like royal jelly, and it can't be dumped. I need those jugs to collect honey. So what do I do? I know I can use dfhack, but is there a normal way to get rid of useless jelly quickly?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: March 12, 2015, 07:31:27 am »

Foist it off on caravans and keep making jugs. Small profit for two commodities you could get rid of; royal jelly and rock.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: March 12, 2015, 07:49:20 am »

Royal jelly can be cooked into meals. The difficulty lies in getting the cooks to actually use it. You need a royal jelly storage close to the kitchen and a no-barrels stockpile of solid foods further away. Milled plant is a good option - flour doesn't rot and produces almost no clutter, so there's no harm if the mill pile overflows and products pile up at the millstone. (Have a dedicated kitchen with give links from the royal jelly and mill pile, if needed.)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: March 12, 2015, 08:08:39 am »

Best thing would be removing royal jelly from the game. It is neither period appropriate nor produced in equal amounts to honey even now. It appears as if it is only in the game to make beekeeping more annoying.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: March 12, 2015, 08:54:15 am »

Royal jelly can be cooked into meals. The difficulty lies in getting the cooks to actually use it. You need a royal jelly storage close to the kitchen and a no-barrels stockpile of solid foods further away. Milled plant is a good option - flour doesn't rot and produces almost no clutter, so there's no harm if the mill pile overflows and products pile up at the millstone. (Have a dedicated kitchen with give links from the royal jelly and mill pile, if needed.)
Why no-barrels?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: March 12, 2015, 11:05:09 am »

Solid food in barrels is preferred over most other ingredients when cooking. When there's a barrel with twenty stacks of cave fish 200 tiles away and sixty globs of jelly all within ten tiles, the cook will repeatedly walk all the way to take the fish from the barrel before touching the jelly. Consequently, cooking lavish meals will produce five roasts made exclusively from fish and then stops, using none of the jelly. If the fish is outside of barrels and further away than the jelly stockpile, the cook will pick one fish and three jelly per lavish meal, making twenty mixed meals and using up all jelly.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 268