Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438859 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1545 on: May 02, 2015, 12:44:03 am »

This may be a stupid question because I haven't had a chance to actually play the game myself since the 2014 release. I'm trying to advise someone who is playing for the first time, and they don't have a lot of patience to mess around with interface-related stuff. I don't currently have access to the game myself.

After testing out the new job priority system, all designations including new ones now have numbers on them indicating their current priority level. Is there a way to return the display to the original state where designations have no numbers?

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: May 11, 2015, 09:41:06 pm »

I became a night creature in adventure mode and then noticed... there's a lot of life forms in pockets of buildings that are completely inaccessible.  Is this normal?  Is there a way to reach them?  If they're shut out from the world they probably don't do anything to pathfinding for framerate but if they're sapient they could be ruining my framerate anyway simply because crowds of humans, goblins, etc that are stuck in an area NEVER SHUT UP.

http://i.imgur.com/INlI6tX.png

Is there any way to get rid of these? To interpret the image, basically every crowd of life forms (the red spiderwebs in the image) is a group of living things that are sucking down my framerate whenever I try to take a step.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 09:42:53 pm by Box »
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: May 12, 2015, 01:27:32 am »

I became a night creature in adventure mode and then noticed... there's a lot of life forms in pockets of buildings that are completely inaccessible.  Is this normal?  Is there a way to reach them?  If they're shut out from the world they probably don't do anything to pathfinding for framerate but if they're sapient they could be ruining my framerate anyway simply because crowds of humans, goblins, etc that are stuck in an area NEVER SHUT UP.

http://i.imgur.com/INlI6tX.png

Is there any way to get rid of these? To interpret the image, basically every crowd of life forms (the red spiderwebs in the image) is a group of living things that are sucking down my framerate whenever I try to take a step.
Are they really inaccessible? I see some doors that you haven't opened. Are there doors below the screenshot? Do they have roofs over their heads or are they trapped in an alley of some kind?

If you have DFHack/LNP use the reveal function for a better look.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: May 12, 2015, 07:52:21 am »

Pretty much.  Sometimes they're animals, sometimes they're humans.

http://i.imgur.com/wnAvN3d.png  The animals seem to have open rooftops but humans are surrounded on all sides and can't be reached.
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: May 13, 2015, 03:38:40 am »

A while ago, I caught a dragon in a cage trap. He managed to set the cage on fire before being captured by it. I extinguished the fire with buckets, but now the dwarves are ignoring the cage. They aren't bringing it to the stockpile, the game doesn't give me the option to build it anywhere and when I tell my dwarves to pasture the dragon or deconstruct the trap my orders are ignored. Is my game glitching out? How do I fix this?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: May 13, 2015, 02:08:41 pm »

A while ago, I caught a dragon in a cage trap. He managed to set the cage on fire before being captured by it. I extinguished the fire with buckets, but now the dwarves are ignoring the cage. They aren't bringing it to the stockpile, the game doesn't give me the option to build it anywhere and when I tell my dwarves to pasture the dragon or deconstruct the trap my orders are ignored. Is my game glitching out? How do I fix this?

Re-enable temperature calculations so the tile containing the cage can cool to a survivable temperature.

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: May 13, 2015, 04:03:29 pm »

Re-enable temperature calculations so the tile containing the cage can cool to a survivable temperature.

how do I re-enable temperature?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: May 13, 2015, 05:35:42 pm »

Should be in the init file.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: May 14, 2015, 01:45:12 am »

(DF root)/data/init.txt, that is

Zem

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: May 14, 2015, 10:20:02 am »

Hi,
I have a bit of a problem with negative thoughts. I'm still kind of new to the game.

I've read a lot about the topic, but never found an answer to my question.

My Peons, who do the hauling in my fortress are getting more and more stressed from beeing horrified while dragging limbs of goblins to the atom smasher.
I've read somewhere that they will eventually get used to those tasks. So far none of my peons is showing signs of "hardening"
My soldiers on the other hand are all "not caring for anything anymore".

So my questions are the following:
Do dorfs get "hardened" by haulig corpses and corpse parts?
What events cause the dwarfs to get the "doesent care about anything anymore" or "is a hardened individual" traits?

Curious Key

• Bay Watcher
  • Stumbling belligerence-first through life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: May 14, 2015, 10:25:32 am »

Just noticed that in the latest version I haven't had a single baby snatcher in ten years. Do they still exist and are incredibly rare, or am I just insanely lucky? (lucky in this case because I actually want children in my forts, they get to be nobles if they survive to adulthood)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: May 14, 2015, 01:28:56 pm »

Horrifying a dwarf will get it used to tradgedy slower with corpses, then deaths, then them actually killing, I think.

I also think it goes
Least horrifying > animal > sentient e.g. troglodyte> evil civilised> civilised> dwarven/civ > friend > child/spouse/parent or something like that. SO kill people with families.
One wheel short of a wagon

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1557 on: May 14, 2015, 02:07:21 pm »

Just noticed that in the latest version I haven't had a single baby snatcher in ten years. Do they still exist and are incredibly rare, or am I just insanely lucky? (lucky in this case because I actually want children in my forts, they get to be nobles if they survive to adulthood)

They do technically exist, but they have the same problem as invasions - i.e. they have to travel, and there aren't necessarily very many available goblins, and you may not be the softest available target.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Curious Key

• Bay Watcher
  • Stumbling belligerence-first through life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: May 14, 2015, 02:53:25 pm »

They do technically exist, but they have the same problem as invasions - i.e. they have to travel, and there aren't necessarily very many available goblins, and you may not be the softest available target.

So there's potentially a vast herd of goblin snatchers on a slow pilgrimage to my fortress? :P I can just imagine them being sent to snatch the son of the king... And they turn up, to see him with a graying beard, and one raised eyebrow.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: May 14, 2015, 03:07:05 pm »

No, armies are actually ridiculously fast. I did a test to see if they would move more slowly if you were to slow down the world ticks; the answer is that they will take more time to start their journey, but they still move fast enough that it takes less than an in-game month to go across a large world.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 268