Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440011 times)

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1950 on: July 28, 2015, 05:18:20 pm »

will dwarves intentionally avoid the other webbed traps when retrieving captured creatures
No.

or will they just bundle in and get trapped? (I presume that webbed cage traps are triggered by my own dwarves as well)
Yes.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: July 28, 2015, 05:20:20 pm »

will dwarves intentionally avoid the other webbed traps when retrieving captured creatures
No.

or will they just bundle in and get trapped? (I presume that webbed cage traps are triggered by my own dwarves as well)
Yes.
Traffic orders and other  means of keeping critters out of trapped hallways.  Like doors that dont let pets in.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: July 28, 2015, 05:59:36 pm »

Traffic orders and other  means of keeping critters out of trapped hallways.  Like doors that dont let pets in.

Traffic orders don't tell your dwarves where not to go; they only adjust the pathfinding "weight" of going there. Create a 2-tile wide hallway, designate one side as "restricted", send two dwarves down the hallway from opposite ends, and one will step on a "restricted" tile.

And pet-impassible doors kill FPS due to an outstanding bug.

Here's a layout I've used before. The door (bottom right) is normally locked, but gets unlocked to lure in targets like forgotten beasts. The bridge (top right) is normally raised, but gets lowered to collect the cages and reset the traps. As long as your dwarves only approach the traps from the top right (with the door locked) they shouldn't get trapped... except for kids following their parents.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: July 28, 2015, 06:11:01 pm »

So make a seperate, longer pathway for the dwarves to go through.  And restrict that path.  block it off with tightly shut doors, and dont put it near your monarchs throne room.

Pet doors arer the only reliable way to keep critters out, and thats highly subjective, as cats and dogs will wait for a dwarf to enter the door to go through.  Also making a second longer path around forces pets to path around, eliminating much of that fps drain.

Pedit: I realize I just told you to make three paths to one place :P
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: July 28, 2015, 09:42:37 pm »

Good stuff ppl, thanks :) 

Now I'm considering a setup where I dump a roomful of water over the traps to destroy the webs instead to make it more automated.  Is it possible?

mhc4444

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: July 30, 2015, 06:28:32 am »

Hi, so here is a question ive been wondering about for a few days now, does dwarfs ambutate limbs?

here is the story: i settled on a vulcano, there grew threes on the edge of the opening and i demanded wood, a magma crap shot my dwarf from the lava pit on his leg, end of combat report. a few months (in game) later i find him at the dormitory wounded, i check on him to find that he is missing a leg, which is currently rotting next to his bed, no combat report about him since the magma crap. sooo... did his leg fall off as a result of the previous attack, or does dwarf ambutate? his medical record doesn't state anything before his leg loss, but of cause he was brought to the hospital after i had to deconstruct the bed he was in because that somehow prevented him from being interesting to the 9 doctors that had just migrated here....

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: July 31, 2015, 11:04:21 am »

Before I start a new world I would like to know if long lag spikes where the game totally freezes (not autosave) is normal?  Every few hours DF just locks up.  Resource monitor says it is processing something.  I fpause with dfhack and just wait for a minute or so.  But my average fps runs from 50-90.  Is this background world processing?  I revealed and checked for leaks but didn't see what I thought a leak would look like.  No flow numbers below the sea.  I am planning on a small world, short history, sparse settings with a small 3x3 embark hoping to fix this.
Ancient Avatar

covertoperator100

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: July 31, 2015, 11:20:02 am »

Will I never be sieged unless I have 80+ Dwarves?

In my world, I started the game at war with Elves, and I'm worried I'll be attacked before I have a big enough pop. to defend.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: July 31, 2015, 11:57:38 am »

I am at less than 50.  Siege tags cover more that.

Gobbos will come to any populated fort, or one that trades, or one that hordes wealth.  Sieges in 40.xx depends on geographical and political conditions as well.
PKs DF Mod!

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: July 31, 2015, 05:07:22 pm »

I'm having a daft digging moment.

Dug a pillar of up/down stairs, and an upstair on the lowest level. Three side-by-side actually, so there is standing room. Works. Now I changed my mind and want to go deeper there with more up/downs, how do I turn the upstair into up/down? I already made a mess of constructions, channels and stair removals on one side, could someone please give me a step by step so I can go "Duh, of course!"?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: July 31, 2015, 05:26:07 pm »

If an upstair is already dug then just designate a downstair.

If its constructed you gotta remove them and put in updown stairs.  You can regualarly dig after construction.  Just keep in mind that you should leave at least 1 access point to that level/location, so dont do them all at once.
PKs DF Mod!

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: July 31, 2015, 05:52:39 pm »

How cool is that, never knew you could dig the up and down parts in seperate steps and have the game combine them! Cavern bypassing can continue, thanks pisskop.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: August 03, 2015, 04:19:56 am »

Before I start a new world I would like to know if long lag spikes where the game totally freezes (not autosave) is normal?  Every few hours DF just locks up.  Resource monitor says it is processing something.  I fpause with dfhack and just wait for a minute or so.  But my average fps runs from 50-90.  Is this background world processing?  I revealed and checked for leaks but didn't see what I thought a leak would look like.  No flow numbers below the sea.  I am planning on a small world, short history, sparse settings with a small 3x3 embark hoping to fix this.
What about blossoming trees? Those can be pretty demanding in bigger numbers. Is this big slowing happening in the same time of gameyear?
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

SMASH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: August 03, 2015, 07:31:36 am »

Will dead trees grow back in evil biomes?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: August 05, 2015, 04:25:04 pm »

Anyone know what animals drop gizzard stones when butchered?
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 268