Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440022 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2415 on: January 02, 2016, 03:01:27 pm »

How am I supposed to fulfill needs like being away from tradition, lack of abstract thinking and being unable to acquire something? I'm at my starting 7 and I can't find a way to fulfill these. I can't manage a whole fortress' needs if I can't even handle 7 dwarves.

Tradition: I have no idea.
Abstract thinking: I don't know if reading books is sufficient.  If they get really bad and reading isn't helping, try making them a scholar for a month.
Acquire: Check what they like (rings, amulets, etc.) and try making some of those.  I've seen dwarf claim ownership of fortress-made crafts.

In general, don't expect to have every dwarf fully satisfied all the time.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

J_klaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: January 02, 2016, 03:32:15 pm »

Is there a problem with stockpiles of containers? I'm finding my dwarfs putting plants into barrels of Furniture-->barrels, and Finished goods-->quiver piles are collecting bolts and arrows, and Finished goods-->backpack piles are collecting food.

I am having a similar problem with bins, sounds related. My carpenter makes bins, they get stored in the furniture stockpile. and even though I have a bar/block stockpile set to accept 600+ bins they dont move them to the stockpile. instead, they just come and drop off bars/blocks in the bins that are still in the furniture stockpile. So I have a bunch of bar/block bins sitting in my furniture stockpile. I mean, wat? Anyone got a work around or explanation?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: January 03, 2016, 04:17:00 am »

Is there a problem with stockpiles of containers? I'm finding my dwarfs putting plants into barrels of Furniture-->barrels, and Finished goods-->quiver piles are collecting bolts and arrows, and Finished goods-->backpack piles are collecting food.

I am having a similar problem with bins, sounds related. My carpenter makes bins, they get stored in the furniture stockpile. and even though I have a bar/block stockpile set to accept 600+ bins they dont move them to the stockpile. instead, they just come and drop off bars/blocks in the bins that are still in the furniture stockpile. So I have a bunch of bar/block bins sitting in my furniture stockpile. I mean, wat? Anyone got a work around or explanation?
Stockpile links can help ensure something gets stored in given area/taken only from given area.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: January 04, 2016, 08:17:40 am »

I know I've asked this before, but I can't maximise the DF window - just full screen or have it in a small window. How do I fix this?
One wheel short of a wagon

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: January 05, 2016, 07:27:25 am »

Also: how do I create a world with only a few z-levels between each cavern and the surface?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: January 05, 2016, 07:41:10 am »

Also: how do I create a world with only a few z-levels between each cavern and the surface?
Fast search (google: "www.bay12forums.com shallow") says Any way to consistently generate a very shallow world?.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: January 05, 2016, 07:52:05 am »

Thanks. I'll have a shot at that then.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: January 05, 2016, 08:10:56 am »

Thanks. I'll have a shot at that then.

Just remember if the max elevation is under about 100 or so, you'll get world rejects galore.

However, if you put up with it and have at least 1 max volcano set, you'll be having some Fun adventures.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: January 05, 2016, 04:38:49 pm »

Are you often seeing dwarves that are worshippers of more gods but both/all such gods are the same one?
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: January 05, 2016, 06:32:32 pm »

Are you often seeing dwarves that are worshippers of more gods but both/all such gods are the same one?
Found 3710: Some starting dwarves and immigrants worship the same god... twice.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: January 07, 2016, 11:21:49 am »

If I construct a floor and muddy it, can I set up a farm on it? Will it matter what material the floor is made of (e.g. can I construct a metal floor and plant a farm on it)?

If not, is there are way to construct a farm on a tile that's already been channeled out other than obsidian casting?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: January 07, 2016, 11:43:31 am »

Muddy floors can support farms.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: January 07, 2016, 11:55:48 am »

This includes muddy constructed floors as well as muddy natural floors?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: January 07, 2016, 12:38:17 pm »

This includes muddy constructed floors as well as muddy natural floors?
Yes. I have just build some floors on the surface (construction caused removal of natural muddyness of surface tiles so yellow warning turned red), dropped on them some water and thanks to mud - wintertime! so thanks to muddy ice - I was able to build a farm plot there.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2429 on: January 08, 2016, 11:51:16 am »

Wuuuuuuuuuut??????

You can build farms on muddied constructed floors?! That never worked before! The Megadorf needed cast obsidian to make farms! This changes everything!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 268