Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438829 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2460 on: January 12, 2016, 11:56:04 am »

Pump operator is useful if you ever plan on making that dwarf a scholar.  Also it's a reasonably easy skill to learn.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: January 12, 2016, 01:31:52 pm »

Am I mistaken: Can you only manually power pump screws moving water? Can you not use manual power on any other contraption?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: January 12, 2016, 01:45:29 pm »

Am I mistaken: Can you only manually power pump screws moving water? Can you not use manual power on any other contraption?
What contraptions? You can send open/close signals manually via levers on repeat or via some automatic clockwork, say, some sort of minecart timer.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: January 12, 2016, 02:18:31 pm »

What contraptions? You can send open/close signals manually via levers on repeat or via some automatic clockwork, say, some sort of minecart timer.

Levers, pressure plates, etc. But those are mechanisms. Screw pumps, axles, etc are machine components. They require power (a dorf pumping, a waterwheel, windmill, etc) instead of receiving discrete blips of signal from levers or pressure plates.

That said, you can link a lever to many machines, or at least the axles/gearshafts that can link machines. All that does is let you break them on command, if I recall.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: January 12, 2016, 02:30:13 pm »

I think the only places where you get a choice between dwarf power and mechanical power are screw pumps, and querns vs. millstones.

Well... I guess you have to count pushing a minecart vs. rollers too.

P.S. Manual pump operation also works when moving magma, not just water.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 02:32:56 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: January 12, 2016, 11:37:06 pm »

I think the only places where you get a choice between dwarf power and mechanical power are screw pumps, and querns vs. millstones.
Well... I guess you have to count pushing a minecart vs. rollers too.
P.S. Manual pump operation also works when moving magma, not just water.

I guess it's 6 vs half-a-dozen but I was wanting to manually power rollers on tracks.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: January 13, 2016, 08:37:24 am »

I think the closest you can get to that is to have a dwarf give an initial push, from a track stop onto a roller-powered track segment.  The rollers would always be "on", but the cart's motion is initiated by a dwarf.

But I'm really just a Dabbling minecart engineer, so maybe you can ask in a dedicated minecart thread to get a broader audience.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: January 13, 2016, 10:14:15 am »

Can marksdwarves still shoot when they are webbed?

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: January 13, 2016, 10:37:51 am »

(1) I have a well, un-frozen 7-depth water source for well, soap, and doctors. How did a dwarf end up with an infection?

(2) I haven't really noticed assigned war dogs sticking terribly close to their owners. ??
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 10:44:34 am by indyofcomo »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: January 13, 2016, 11:04:18 am »

(1) I have a well, un-frozen 7-depth water source for well, soap, and doctors. How did a dwarf end up with an infection?

Soap only decreases the chance of an infection.  It doesn't completely prevent them.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: January 13, 2016, 11:11:21 am »

greycat, your wisdom is immeasurable. <<=wisdom=>>

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: January 13, 2016, 10:53:14 pm »

When you say 7-depth, do you mean 7 z-levels or 7 fluid-levels? You need 2 z-levels of water to avoid mud.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: January 13, 2016, 11:05:46 pm »

By the way, regarding some discussion  I've read elsewhere. Want to know the REAL reason zombies don't talk, even if you add a version of the reaction that leaves CAN_SPEAK alone?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: January 14, 2016, 12:22:33 am »

When you say 7-depth, do you mean 7 z-levels or 7 fluid-levels? You need 2 z-levels of water to avoid mud.

7 fluid levels

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: January 14, 2016, 12:25:12 am »

7 fluid levels
That might be your problem. Are the water buckets "laced with mud"?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 268