Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 439984 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2505 on: January 22, 2016, 11:25:29 am »

Certain junk seeds like plum pits can't be cooked.

Noted. But its always useful to have some seeds that you can cook spare for the reasons i listed above. Letting them rot in garbage or firing them en masse from a bridge are a few amusing ways to get rid of them.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: January 22, 2016, 12:18:01 pm »

This is why i always build a (no barrel) seed bank for herbalists somewhere close to ground level

... what?  What do seeds have to do with herbalists?  Herbalists neither produce nor use seeds.  Only planters and cooks and pressers can use seeds.  Only brewers, millers, etc. can produce seeds, which come from the (non-cooking) use of a plant.

Well, OK.  Herbalists can produce seeds by eating a plant raw, but that generally will not happen near ground level, unless that's where your dining room is.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: January 22, 2016, 12:22:08 pm »

Herbalists can collect certain things from trees which are considered seeds- walnuts, pecans, almonds, macadamia nuts...

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: January 22, 2016, 12:33:13 pm »

OK, yeah.  They can gather nuts (non-plantable seeds).  But I still don't understand FantasticDorf's "seed bank for herbalists ... with free booze as a byproduct" paragraph at all.  Is he just putting a seed stockpile up there so the herbalists can drop off their nuts more quickly, and get back to more gathering?  If so, I'm still dubious, because they tend to carry lots of plants/seeds around with them for a long time before dropping them all off en masse.  (This isn't like 0.34 where dwarves could only haul one item at a time.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: January 22, 2016, 04:20:39 pm »

OK, yeah.  They can gather nuts (non-plantable seeds).  But I still don't understand FantasticDorf's "seed bank for herbalists ... with free booze as a byproduct" paragraph at all.  Is he just putting a seed stockpile up there so the herbalists can drop off their nuts more quickly, and get back to more gathering?  If so, I'm still dubious, because they tend to carry lots of plants/seeds around with them for a long time before dropping them all off en masse.  (This isn't like 0.34 where dwarves could only haul one item at a time.)

Apologies if i haven't articulated myself fluently.

The chain of production for my herbalists are that they go off and collect plants, i return said plants which then get used up any which way by my dwarves (personal preferences for instance make often what i bring back a hit at the dining tables without even being cooked) with the produce secured in a close by stockpile. All the goods are indiscriminately processed for the seeds which are then funneled by haulers into my no-barrel all bag seed bank.

Herbalists -> Gathered Plant Stockpile -> Processing (still/quern/workshop etc) -> Seeds gathered for bank -> Bags are ready to be collected for future farms without getting stuck within a barrel or applying another bag.

Should i require above ground farming, i will have a ample supply of seeds i can use. The processing byproducts are eaten and drunk by my dwarves. Quite simple really. Clear out the map of gatherables each season, churn it all up, collect the seeds, sit back and relax no worries.

Better bags, more profit from a surplus of seeds. What more could you want?

Arvoitusmies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: January 22, 2016, 05:50:00 pm »

Did this Gray Langur fall off a tree?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: January 22, 2016, 06:17:46 pm »

Yes, probably. If that's the entire extent of the combat log- it's likely.

I've also had underground reports of enthousiastic rock-climbing wild trolls losing their handhold on some cavernwall and bruising themselves, much the same as that.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: January 22, 2016, 10:25:11 pm »

If demons generate with enough bird anatomy, could they have slade gizzard stones?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: January 22, 2016, 11:06:33 pm »

Did anyone else notice that visitors get stuck in murky ponds a lot?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: January 23, 2016, 07:12:14 am »

yep
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: January 23, 2016, 11:57:33 pm »

. What are your alternatives to dumping at track stops? Will they stock a stockpile from a stopped Minecart?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: January 31, 2016, 03:52:09 pm »

This must have been answered somewhere, but not in the wiki. What's the difference between woven and forged blue clothing?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: January 31, 2016, 04:08:57 pm »

This must have been answered somewhere, but not in the wiki. What's the difference between woven and forged blue clothing?

The forged variety is probably   *warning spoilers* Candy - Link to the DF wiki for you if you dont understand the abbreviation *warning spoilers* which is a blue/teal colour and metallic (or you are talking about a mod-exclusive, alternative metal clothing). Whereas regular woven clothing would be dyed blue, via dimple dye (or other colours should you have a supply of dye to apply).

You can gather more details about a object by inspecting it with K, and clicking on it with enter from the K screen.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: January 31, 2016, 06:37:07 pm »

The forged variety is probably   *warning spoilers* Candy - Link to the DF wiki for you if you dont understand the abbreviation *warning spoilers* which is a blue/teal colour and metallic (or you are talking about a mod-exclusive, alternative metal clothing). Whereas regular woven clothing would be dyed blue, via dimple dye (or other colours should you have a supply of dye to apply).

You can gather more details about a object by inspecting it with K, and clicking on it with enter from the K screen.
Yeah, I was mistaken; I thought the clothier's shop could work with it. Forged is the only option for the clothing.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: January 31, 2016, 06:41:58 pm »

"Adamantine" shows up on every single stockpile and material list in the game. No reason to put it in spoilers.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 268