Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438872 times)

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2535 on: February 08, 2016, 02:43:48 pm »

Yeah, sadly I've lost about 4 or 5 in this fort so far to them getting stuck and me not realizing it in time.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: February 09, 2016, 08:36:52 am »

Yeah, sadly I've lost about 4 or 5 in this fort so far to them getting stuck and me not realizing it in time.
Periodical checks of Health page for hungry units help with locating both dwarves in trees and grazer animals without a proper pasture (say, forgotten in cages).
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: February 10, 2016, 03:52:58 pm »

Are all crabs considered vermin? Thieves? Enemies of the State? Is there some explanation for why NPC's show an uncharacteristic hostility toward them?

Slozgo Luzma

• Bay Watcher
  • RIP Emeg Orglebeamed, the Domination of Castles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: February 10, 2016, 11:37:42 pm »

I have recently picked up Dwarf Fortress again having last played it at the end of 2014, and noticed that in adventure mode dialogue has been completely reworked. While these changes are a drastic improvement, in 0.42.05 I am no longer prompted with a threatening message when I encounter bandit leaders, Titans, Dragons, Bronze Colossi, Forgotten Beasts, Hydras, Night Creatures, or other such foes that used to declare their name and an intention to murder me. Moreover, I am free to wander around tombs to my hearts content without a single threat from their fitfully slumbering denizens, even when I step over their sarcophagus, topple all of the statues nearby, and throw bits of uncooked meat at it. I should note that I am playing as a crab man and using dfhack. Are these dialogues still present in newer versions? Maybe crab men are treated as wilderness creatures?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: February 11, 2016, 05:04:28 am »

Are all crabs considered vermin? Thieves? Enemies of the State? Is there some explanation for why NPC's show an uncharacteristic hostility toward them?
I have recently picked up Dwarf Fortress again having last played it at the end of 2014, and noticed that in adventure mode dialogue has been completely reworked. While these changes are a drastic improvement, in 0.42.05 I am no longer prompted with a threatening message when I encounter bandit leaders, Titans, Dragons, Bronze Colossi, Forgotten Beasts, Hydras, Night Creatures, or other such foes that used to declare their name and an intention to murder me. Moreover, I am free to wander around tombs to my hearts content without a single threat from their fitfully slumbering denizens, even when I step over their sarcophagus, topple all of the statues nearby, and throw bits of uncooked meat at it. I should note that I am playing as a crab man and using dfhack. Are these dialogues still present in newer versions? Maybe crab men are treated as wilderness creatures?
In some worlds of DF multiverse, crabs are praised and everyone tries to get out of their way. In other worlds, they are hunted and face everlasting persecution. Long live the RNG.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: February 11, 2016, 06:48:32 am »

Be careful. Some tombs are just tombs, but the more Fun variety still exist.

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
suggestions for which material to craft pick from in my fort?
« Reply #2541 on: February 11, 2016, 08:40:56 am »

Best metal for making a [mostly-for-digging] pick?
A. Copper
B. Bronze
C. Iron

From what I've read, it seems Copper for cheap digging tool, and iron for combat option, but, well... see below.

Situation:
First year fort, 10 dwarves, I only have the weapons-grade-ores I brought with me upon embark right now, so limited options.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It will be mostly used for digging I guess.
I have ~6 diggers[, and one pick lover,] with 4 picks; 2 copper, 1 bronze, 1 iron pick currently.
Metal Bars left:
Iron 5/8 (made a few weapons, including one iron pick for my one pick-loving miner to fight with)
Bronze ~13/16 (thinking of making a set of helm, gauntlets & boots to equip at least one dwarf right away; seems good?)
Copper ~10/12 (making copper xbow & pick now, then maybe some bolts)
Silver 4-10/5-16 (1 silver war hammer from 1 galena smelt with 3 tetrahedrite & 1 more galena still unsmelted)
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: suggestions for which material to craft pick from in my fort?
« Reply #2542 on: February 11, 2016, 09:00:58 am »

Metal Bars left:
Iron 5/8 (made a few weapons, including one iron pick for my one pick-loving miner to fight with)
Bronze ~13/16 (thinking of making a set of helm, gauntlets & boots to equip at least one dwarf right away; seems good?)
Copper ~10/12 (making copper xbow & pick now, then maybe some bolts)
Silver 4-10/5-16 (1 silver war hammer from 1 galena smelt with 3 tetrahedrite & 1 more galena still unsmelted)

If you have no local weapons-grade metals at all, then certainly do not waste metal making crossbows.  Crossbows can be made of bone or wood, and have exactly the same shooting performance as metal ones.  The metal one is heavier, which is bad unless you're bashing enemies with it.  Which you should do all you can do to avoid.

Copper is the worst of the metals for weapons and armor, so use that in the places of least importance.  Bronze and iron are pretty much tied (see the other thread for details), to the point where I wouldn't waste a lot of time wondering which one is better for which application.  If you can get some flux stone and charcoal, turn the iron into steel -- that's a tier above all the other metals.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: February 11, 2016, 12:23:11 pm »

Dumb question, but if I copy  a fortress mode save directly from 42.05 to 42.06, will it still work?

(Also wrong thread, but a fairly universal question)
One wheel short of a wagon

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: February 11, 2016, 01:09:10 pm »

It should.  Toady mentioned that old saves would start to get correct exported wealth values after a caravan left in the new version, which implies it should work.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: February 11, 2016, 01:15:30 pm »

Thanks. Haven't messed about with that stuff for a while.
One wheel short of a wagon

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: February 11, 2016, 01:53:22 pm »

Can confirm... transferred an old save to 42.06 successfully last night.

TheCritsyBear

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a masterful engraving of an avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: February 24, 2016, 12:15:19 pm »

Hi. I'm not getting any caravans.

Or, rather, I AM getting caravans...

But they walk right past my depot. They come to it, start unloading their goods, then before they've even come to a stop, immediately leave. No further messages. No "The merchants from X have embarked on their journey." They just walk past.

Is this a glitch, or something I'm missing in the new version?

I had to create a new account for my own reasons, I was once a Bay Watcher like you. Now I am but a lowly Escaped Lunatic.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: February 24, 2016, 04:53:13 pm »

Hi. I'm not getting any caravans.

Or, rather, I AM getting caravans...

But they walk right past my depot. They come to it, start unloading their goods, then before they've even come to a stop, immediately leave. No further messages. No "The merchants from X have embarked on their journey." They just walk past.

Is this a glitch, or something I'm missing in the new version?
Check your dead units list. If you have 'missing' wagons, they're getting spooked by something and scuttling.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
  • Traveling at the speed of Urist (not that fast)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: February 25, 2016, 05:18:10 pm »

Do caged prisoners hurt FPS?
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 268