Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440207 times)

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2805 on: May 23, 2016, 02:57:08 am »

Dammit, it's a lost cause now. Well moot for the time being anyway. Somehow in my attempts to reorganize the stockpile I let all the dyed cloth get hauled away and mixed with the other cloth. There isn't any way to automatically separate it again, is there? Assuming not I'll probably have to set the "use dyed cloth" order anyway now. At least there shouldn't be any weirdness that way... if there is I'll get back to debugging. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Akur Akir Akam!

levraininjaneer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: May 23, 2016, 03:13:00 am »

To avoid problems with bins in the clothing industry, I usually set a stockpile of about 40 squares in front respectively of my dyer and clothier shops. Both allow NO bins. The one takes from the dyer, and only takes from links.

No problems with cancellations ever, and by making either pile "give to" the clothier, you can control whether you want to use dyed cloth or not. (for me, since dye is a completely renewable resource, and dying a value-adding skill that needs training, I dye absolutely everything).

The system has the added bonus of an at-a-glance stock take of how much dyed and undyed cloth is available.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: May 23, 2016, 03:41:54 am »

To avoid problems with bins in the clothing industry, I usually set a stockpile of about 40 squares in front respectively of my dyer and clothier shops. Both allow NO bins. The one takes from the dyer, and only takes from links.

No problems with cancellations ever, and by making either pile "give to" the clothier, you can control whether you want to use dyed cloth or not. (for me, since dye is a completely renewable resource, and dying a value-adding skill that needs training, I dye absolutely everything).

The system has the added bonus of an at-a-glance stock take of how much dyed and undyed cloth is available.
Well, obviously dye is renewable, but I only started on it recently, so I have a limited supply, whereas I have mountains of undyed cloth.

Question, do you do that thing with the binless stockpiles because you have problems before, or just to be on the safe side?
Akur Akir Akam!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: May 23, 2016, 03:13:14 pm »

Dammit, it's a lost cause now. Well moot for the time being anyway. Somehow in my attempts to reorganize the stockpile I let all the dyed cloth get hauled away and mixed with the other cloth. There isn't any way to automatically separate it again, is there? Assuming not I'll probably have to set the "use dyed cloth" order anyway now. At least there shouldn't be any weirdness that way... if there is I'll get back to debugging. Thanks for all your suggestions.
I'm a little confused how you avoid wasting dyed cloth by pushing things through a dyed-only stockpile instead of just using the order, but the much simpler way would be to make a second clothier and only use it for things you don't want to use dyed cloth for...

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: May 23, 2016, 03:29:52 pm »

I'm a little confused how you avoid wasting dyed cloth by pushing things through a dyed-only stockpile instead of just using the order, but the much simpler way would be to make a second clothier and only use it for things you don't want to use dyed cloth for...
I do have two clothiers. But how would that help without the dyer-linked stockpile?

In case you missed this point, the "use dyed cloth" thing is a fort-wide standing order. I'm not aware of any way to set it per workshop. It seems to me the job details menu should do this, but it doesn't. It only lets me select cloth type (e.g. hemp, pigtail) and size. It seems a bit weird there isn't a better way to control this.
Akur Akir Akam!

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: May 23, 2016, 07:40:15 pm »

OK, so automated orders. Say I want to make beds and always have ten in stock. Whenever there are less than ten, make more. I set a perpetual order to make beds, then set conditions to number 10? It adds the order to the workshops but then they won't stop even after ten? Do they need to be stockpiled to count?

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: May 23, 2016, 07:58:30 pm »

OK, so automated orders. Say I want to make beds and always have ten in stock. Whenever there are less than ten, make more. I set a perpetual order to make beds, then set conditions to number 10? It adds the order to the workshops but then they won't stop even after ten? Do they need to be stockpiled to count?

Ten is the trigger, perpetual is how many.  In essence, your setup says, "Once there are less than 10 beds, make them until you run out of materials."

I'm setting them up to make one per trigger, but recheck daily.  I feel like there must be a better way, but I haven't found it.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: May 23, 2016, 11:42:05 pm »

So if say, order ten, condition number ten, will it make ten whenever I have less than ten, or make them up to ten?

Also I suppose you could make it respect whether the raw mats are available but that is beyond me.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: May 24, 2016, 07:55:17 am »

So if say, order ten, condition number ten, will it make ten whenever I have less than ten, or make them up to ten?

Also I suppose you could make it respect whether the raw mats are available but that is beyond me.

As far as I can tell there is no way to make the number created conditional, only whether to create the order or not.

Most of my orders are based on mats.  For example, I only have seven bee hives in the fort, but the whole process is automated.  I have a screw press that checks daily for a honeycomb and an empty jug, then presses one order.  Then my still has a daily order to check for honey and a large container, then brews mead.  And my craftsdwarf shop checks for a waxcake and creates one wax craft.  All I see is the completion spam and the products.

Setting up raw mats isn't any more difficult than setting up item conditions.  Hit 'r' in the order screen and all the reagents needed autofill, you just have to change the specifics in the same way you did for counting beds.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: May 24, 2016, 03:34:27 pm »

That's just it, they're happy to run and grab a fresh stack off the woodcrafters shop, but I don't have them crafting new bolts perpetually.

But you do have new bolts.  Newer than the ones they fired.

Advanced Marksdwarf Training Guide says they grab the newest bolts first.  I'm not 100% convinced that this page is accurate in every detail, but it might be correct in that particular instance.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: May 24, 2016, 07:59:07 pm »

That's fine if you want to consume all reagents whenever they are available, like your honey example or paper industry. I just want it to always keep a stockpile of furniture on hand whenever the raw material is available.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: May 25, 2016, 03:37:22 am »

That's just it, they're happy to run and grab a fresh stack off the woodcrafters shop, but I don't have them crafting new bolts perpetually.

But you do have new bolts.  Newer than the ones they fired.

Advanced Marksdwarf Training Guide says they grab the newest bolts first.  I'm not 100% convinced that this page is accurate in every detail, but it might be correct in that particular instance.

I think that page may have outdated information.  It's a great guide, but I think it has a lot of bug work-arounds that aren't necessary any more.

I've given up my efforts to conserve bolts and paved over the bolt channel.  Saving a few logs a month is not worth the trouble.  I just want them trained.

That's fine if you want to consume all reagents whenever they are available, like your honey example or paper industry. I just want it to always keep a stockpile of furniture on hand whenever the raw material is available.

Yeah, you can make it so 'if less than 10, then make 10' and you should always have 10-19 on hand.  You can of course lower the number to something like 'if less than 10, then make 4', and you will keep 10-13 on hand.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: May 25, 2016, 07:57:05 pm »

After there any truly unlimited resources you could set rules for and just leave df running? Food and planting yes but not bags, barrels or pots. Does clay and sand need bags?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: May 25, 2016, 10:46:48 pm »

After there any truly unlimited resources you could set rules for and just leave df running? Food and planting yes but not bags, barrels or pots. Does clay and sand need bags?
Sand needs bags, clay doesn't

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: May 25, 2016, 11:59:17 pm »

So then a magma kiln for pots and farms for fruit and veg plus gathering would make you pretty much self sufficient?
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 268