Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440020 times)

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2835 on: May 27, 2016, 11:09:51 am »

I know the full details are more complicated, but in general, how many ramps (if any) will a minecart go up after being accelerated by a high speed roller? For simplicity sake, assume the roller is level and the ramps are in a straight line immediately after it.
Akur Akir Akam!

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: May 27, 2016, 11:56:45 am »

Is there any purpose to assigning a barracks to an individual?  By this I mean the "a: Assign Room" command, not through the military.

To memory, individuals cannot claim barracks defined rooms as they are reserved explicitly for military.

But they can be assigned to an individual, completely independent of the military system.  The room doesn't show up in the individuals "Holdings" list, but neither does a zoo or sculpture garden.  The room itself lists the "Current Owner", and all of the squad assignment menu completely goes away.  So is there any purpose or value to this?  Is this just one more room for a dwarf to hang around in while not doing anything else?  And if so is this a better/worse situation than the dwarf going to their actual squad barracks for training?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: May 27, 2016, 11:58:13 am »

How can I kill a fire snake?  It can attack (bite) my dwarves but I can't seem to target it.

If you supply a admantium animal cage for a trapper job, they'll catch them and store them comfortable inside them.

You can even then use the captured fire snake to extract liquid fire for commercial use.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: May 27, 2016, 10:41:36 pm »

But they can be assigned to an individual, completely independent of the military system.  The room doesn't show up in the individuals "Holdings" list, but neither does a zoo or sculpture garden.  The room itself lists the "Current Owner", and all of the squad assignment menu completely goes away.  So is there any purpose or value to this?  Is this just one more room for a dwarf to hang around in while not doing anything else?  And if so is this a better/worse situation than the dwarf going to their actual squad barracks for training?
You know how when you select the weapon rack, it says "make barracks/armory"? My theory is that an individually assigned one would be an armory. But since neither armor stands nor weapon racks currently work for their nominal purpose I would guess this is indeed totally useless. I could easily imagine it as another thing a high-ranking noble might insist on having, but none do currently.
Akur Akir Akam!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: May 28, 2016, 09:59:55 am »

You know how when you select the weapon rack, it says "make barracks/armory"? My theory is that an individually assigned one would be an armory. But since neither armor stands nor weapon racks currently work for their nominal purpose I would guess this is indeed totally useless. I could easily imagine it as another thing a high-ranking noble might insist on having, but none do currently.

Interesting. I cannot recall them explicitly being used for very much (could be a trivial bug since soldiers carry their weapons around everywhere anyway)

Im going to explore the idea of personal weapon storage with a suggestion thread soon now that this has turned up. Question - HAS the armoury ever functionally held weapons/armour in the past?

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: May 28, 2016, 01:30:39 pm »

This makes a pretty good explanation.  I'm going to assign one to a military dwarf for a while and see if anything happens.  But I expect you're right, it's just another room that they won't visit.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: May 28, 2016, 01:56:30 pm »

What are the rules for where a dwarf will store owned items?

I'm trying to make suites for my dwarves - bedroom, dining room, office, sculpture garden, zoo and armory (and a bath/well, but it's not assigned).  Because it's more than four rooms, overlapping them all increases the value significantly.  For the most part it's great, but I have a dwarf that is constantly "move owned item"ing from cabinet to cabinet.  There are four cabinets across three rooms and he bounces between them stopping only to craft something or occasionally take care of a need.  I want the little jerk to idle, alongside the other little jerkess I've assigned to the exact same rooms.  I've tried forbidding everything he touches, but he just keeps finding more stuff someplace else in the fortress.  I have not tried burrowing him as I'm trying to avoid that in general, but I would assume that it would just cancel spam his actions rather than solve the problem.

I know a solution, and that's to have his bedroom cover one cabinet and hers to cover another cabinet and make sure those parts don't overlap.  But that means no cabinets in other rooms.  I feel like if I had a better understanding of what's motivating his need to store these items in four locations at once I could come up with a better solution.  Any ideas?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: May 28, 2016, 04:12:15 pm »

How long are the alcohol-related personality changes suppose to last? Checking before I submit a bug report. This is from a weretortoise dwarf in my oubliette:
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: May 29, 2016, 01:14:01 pm »

Assuming those yellow bits are indeed caused by alcohol, I think it's a bug. It seems like they last forever to me.
Akur Akir Akam!

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: May 29, 2016, 02:04:11 pm »

Does falling generate a combat report?  I have an injured dwarf with a combat report with several "full force of the impact" lines, but also "An artery has been opened by the attack!"  So "the attack" was a fall?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: May 29, 2016, 03:51:19 pm »

Does falling generate a combat report?

Yes. The "attack" in that case was most likely a fall gravity-accentuated collision.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: May 29, 2016, 07:09:51 pm »

When Gravitons Attack
Akur Akir Akam!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: May 31, 2016, 09:38:34 am »

It helps to understand that falls are modelled within DF by simulating multiple blunt attacks with an object made out of the floor's material.  From the dwarf's (or other falling creature's) point of view, a small piece of the terrain has quite literally risen up and smashed into the dwarf.  Repeatedly.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: May 31, 2016, 11:07:39 am »

It helps to understand that falls are modelled within DF by simulating multiple blunt attacks with an object made out of the floor's material.  From the dwarf's (or other falling creature's) point of view, a small piece of the terrain has quite literally risen up and smashed into the dwarf.  Repeatedly.

With the added caveat that bigger creatures get fucked up by the "attack" even worse than smaller ones do. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: May 31, 2016, 12:09:28 pm »

I've got a problem.

My dwarves are fishing over ice.

I tried disabling their fishing labor but they haven't stopped their task!
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 268