Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438803 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2865 on: June 13, 2016, 02:06:05 am »

A question of my own, now:

A floor is a floor. However, brook floor allows fishing, in a way reminiscent of grates. Can the fisherdwarves see creature fishes in the water? Can they fish those creatures? Can those creatures attack them in the process of fishing?

Granted, I think you only get creature fishes in brook if you connect it to a bigger body of water....Or embark on tropical swamp/marsh and dig an opening for crocodiles :p

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: June 13, 2016, 03:01:39 am »

A question of my own, now:

A floor is a floor. However, brook floor allows fishing, in a way reminiscent of grates. Can the fisherdwarves see creature fishes in the water? Can they fish those creatures? Can those creatures attack them in the process of fishing?

Granted, I think you only get creature fishes in brook if you connect it to a bigger body of water....Or embark on tropical swamp/marsh and dig an opening for crocodiles :p
Can attackable creatures be fished to begin with?

I think brook tiles behave like floor grates. In other words, you can see and fish through them, water pours and pumps through them, well buckets are blocked by them, and you can't attack through them.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 03:28:11 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: June 13, 2016, 06:46:57 am »

Sea Lamprey, for instance. It is pretty easy to get brook and ocean in the same embark tile.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: June 13, 2016, 02:38:28 pm »

Is this the new normal... playing with 12 dwarves, 2 military training, 6 praying and I don't even have a tavern yet.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: June 13, 2016, 03:43:26 pm »

Yeah, I notice the dwarves tend to do location assignments when they have no job, though once their praying needs are fulfilled my idle counter comes back. Meanwhile, tavern socializing is very low priority that just about anything will pull away from.

However, you can prevent it by not having the zones, and before you have some population might want to - after all, dwarves start undistracted. I have no idea how big an effect the distraction mechanic has on jobs though.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: June 14, 2016, 04:13:40 pm »

The system I usually use is to fill a cistern through a grate (from below) using water pressure and then draw water from the cistern with a well.

I usually prefer to source my well water from a river, brook or aquifer tile, and let it fall down into a cistern.  But if I can't do that, and instead have to source water from a cavern, I prefer to pump some water from the cavern lake into an isolated cistern, with the well over that.  If I'm careful about it, I can arrange for the pump operator to be protected while pumping (remember, pumps can suck through a floor grate even though wells can't drop a bucket through one).  There is definitely a period of exposure while initially setting up the pump, though.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: June 14, 2016, 07:12:47 pm »

The system I usually use is to fill a cistern through a grate (from below) using water pressure and then draw water from the cistern with a well.

I usually prefer to source my well water from a river, brook or aquifer tile, and let it fall down into a cistern.  But if I can't do that, and instead have to source water from a cavern, I prefer to pump some water from the cavern lake into an isolated cistern, with the well over that.  If I'm careful about it, I can arrange for the pump operator to be protected while pumping (remember, pumps can suck through a floor grate even though wells can't drop a bucket through one).  There is definitely a period of exposure while initially setting up the pump, though.

That is a nice method for cavern water.  Even though I do something similar for magma I had never thought to use it for water! 

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: June 14, 2016, 09:58:20 pm »

How can I nerf lycanthropy so they don't destroy my fort? Is there a way to make them not hostile when they turn? I am trying to do a fairly passive game but the cycle of infection keeps going around now visitors and children are infected.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: June 14, 2016, 11:48:16 pm »

If you get everyone infected by same type of curse, they won't attack each other barring being active militarily or something like that (loyalty cascade, here we come).

However, that has it's own problems, given how they will go naked and be buildingdestroyers. Artifact traps keep them trapped while they're dwarves, too...

Hm, if you get few vampires, I wonder if the werewolves will prioritize attacking him over destroying buildings. You could make him ride around in a minecart that the wolves then chase and get Tom & Jerry type moon fortress.
There is definitely a period of exposure while initially setting up the pump, though.
Oh yeah, now I remember: another method to secure cavern water, if you have the z-levels, is to cave in a hollow plug on top of cistern-to-be. 0 risk to any of your dwarves, who will never have to enter cavern at all.

It does depend on cavern layout, though ^^;;

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: June 15, 2016, 06:46:50 pm »

I made the were syndrome forbid ' has blood'. Will that  stop the infectivity?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: June 15, 2016, 08:28:31 pm »

Properly done, I believe so - after all, vampire werebeasts are similarly prevented. But the ones already infected won't be uninfected by that.....

....Now I'm imagining artifact bar of soap when magic comes, never running out and perfectly cleansing even the non-mundane infections.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: June 16, 2016, 02:36:06 pm »

Is there any way short of modding or a kobold attack to get small-size clothing for my gorlak resident?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: June 16, 2016, 05:34:15 pm »

(d)etails in the reaction screen

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: June 17, 2016, 02:47:29 am »

(d)etails in the reaction screen

Thank you. You made a gorlak happy. He had tears in his eyes.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: June 21, 2016, 07:42:20 pm »

Is pitting or dumping rocks, wood or refuse a reliable execution method for pitted creatures, and what sort of z level drop would you need?

Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 268