Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438824 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2910 on: June 29, 2016, 04:15:40 am »

Some clowns can breed and are butcherable, though; I'd expect those can be raised. They're pretty much FBs with skills.

I notice that steel's material values are much superior to iron, but artifacts offer rather large bonus too...So!

How well does artifact iron armor compete with non-artifact steel armor? What about weapons?

(Thinking of how you get iron items with mood if mood base material is removed.)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 06:57:48 am by Fleeting Frames »

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: July 04, 2016, 11:38:14 am »

Do temples need statues/instruments? If they are not there, then will the temple work? What should the statue be of? The temple is of no particular god. Also, how do taverns work? Do I need a tavern keeper? Do I need a container, or can I just dump all the mugs on the floor?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: July 04, 2016, 12:10:45 pm »

Briefly: No, Yes, you need no statue, brings visitors and dwarves socialize/dance/sing, no they're somewhat dangerous, dwarves will just pick up nearest mug when they drink.

For deeper analysis, see my signature.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: July 04, 2016, 12:36:20 pm »

Few questions about uniform item assignment.

I've always specified certain materials or specific equipment for my military, but I'm curious about what happens if you let it do its own thing.

I've heard that dwarves will replace equipment when better equipment is produced, but what exactly counts as "better"? If you set it to "metal armor", will they replace copper with iron and iron with steel as it becomes available? If so, where do bronze and bismuth bronze fit in? Would they replace masterwork iron with no-quality steel?

What about leather vs. bone? Is one "better" than the other in dwarf-logic?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: July 04, 2016, 01:22:51 pm »

Not sure, I would assume it's item value that does it, since that would do a good job of selecting the sexy materials like steel or adamantine. And since I think item quality also affects item value...

Honestly you're better off avoiding leather now that it falls apart from love taps.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

snjwffl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: July 04, 2016, 07:41:50 pm »

My google/search-fu skills suck today and I don't have a non-FPS-dead fortress mature enough to test this right now, so any answers will be appreciated :D :

Do fortifications block a marksdorf from hitting/attacking targets that are one space diagonally downward from the fortification?  In other words, if this is a profile view
Code: [Select]
  F ☺
g W W
(F=fortificatin, W=wall, g=goblin, ☺=dwarf)
can the dwarf hit the goblin?  Or does the goblin have to be further away, as in
    F ☺
g   W W
?

Finally, my searching led me to a topic on archer towers, and if I understood correctly then the following should work:
  F ☺
g g W
I believe the topic said that the right-most goblin could be targetted (is that correct?) but said nothing about the left-most.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: July 05, 2016, 04:08:12 am »

Archers cannot shoot through floors/walls. I believe the goblin has to be further away.

Colev0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: July 05, 2016, 06:42:41 am »

I've gotten to a point in an adventure mode save where almost every action causes the game to crash: entering fast-travel, waiting, moving, building a fire, sleeping, and drinking water are all among them.

The version is 43.04. Some of the raws have been modded to add a few extra creatures, but the save has been stable up until now.

Has anyone ever had this problem and "fixed" it? If so, how did you go about doing it?

snjwffl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: July 05, 2016, 01:21:50 pm »

Archers cannot shoot through floors/walls. I believe the goblin has to be further away.
Thanks

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: July 05, 2016, 01:29:45 pm »

I've heard that dwarves will replace equipment when better equipment is produced, but what exactly counts as "better"?

It goes strictly by item value.  Even a low-quality steel helm is usually more valuable (in the trading sense) than an iron helm, so they'll prefer the steel if available.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: July 05, 2016, 01:49:11 pm »

I suppose that makes sense. So the hierarchy would generally be copper < bronze < bismuth bronze < iron < steel.

So then, if you simply put "armor", would valuable leather armor and/or highly decorated copper armor potentially screw things up?

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: July 05, 2016, 05:04:53 pm »

Quite possibly. After I reclaimed my current fort to fix the invisible caravan stuck at the map edge bug, all of the military wanted to wear base quality steel armor that became decorated (similar to how an adventurers items will gain decorations after retiring) instead of the better quality stuff being made.

Had to pull some uniform shenanigans and melt the stuff down before they would start reliably wearing the good stuff.

MinerMan60101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: July 30, 2016, 06:27:46 pm »

Is there any way to keep certain Kitchens from getting the 'Render Fat' job?
Keas are the Cliff Racers of Dwarf Fortress, both flying nuisances interrupting you whilst playing a game which you wish would become extinct.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: July 30, 2016, 08:22:37 pm »

(o)rders - (W)orkshop orders - auto kitchen.

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: July 31, 2016, 07:55:12 am »

Set up your own auto-kitchen to render fat in a specific kitchen if you have any raw fat, checked daily, and turn off the default one.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 268