Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440037 times)

MinerMan60101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2925 on: July 31, 2016, 05:21:33 pm »

Is there any way to restrict food in a stockpile to certain dwarves in a burrow?
Keas are the Cliff Racers of Dwarf Fortress, both flying nuisances interrupting you whilst playing a game which you wish would become extinct.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: July 31, 2016, 09:52:37 pm »

Kinda. Add all other dwarves to burrows that don't cover that food stockpile would work, as well as physically preventing access.

"Could work" solutions would include that other dwarves always have some other food stockpile closer or that the burrow stockpile is refilled regularly from different stockpile.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: August 01, 2016, 02:44:21 am »

Dropping or dumping food ontop of a stockpile and then using stockpile settings for allowed food types once unforbid helps as food will be taken away if they offend the stockpile settings.

You could use en-mass labour to move lots and lots of pots onto a quantum stockpile or a small amount of labour to move food onto a track system in which it will be dropped from a track stop at the desired designated place. Meaning you could position the track stop opposite a vertical hole which has your stockpile on the bottom without having to unforbid (a additional perk).

LordKnows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: August 01, 2016, 06:01:43 am »

There seems to have arisen a horde of over half a million fly-men in my world. Should I be worried? (And if so, should I worry in the "About to have fun" way, or the "my game is about to bug out" way?)

This seems to have happened in the 2.5 years since world activation. There was a population of 2-3 thousand fly-men outcasts in an elven retreat, and a very few fly-men living in a kobold cave on the edge of the map in the year 850 (still have the xml dump). Now in the year 852, there are 278000 fly-men in that single cave, and 250000 fly-men outcasts in the elven retreat. There are just 28000 humans and 70000 goblins for comparison, a relatively small world.

I spent ages creating this world and already have 5 adventurers, a retired fort, and was hoping to progress it for a long time to really take advantage of the world activation features, but worried it will start slowing down or something. Already had the game crash when attempting to enter the forest retreat with the fly-man population only a few weeks or months after the start.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 06:03:14 am by LordKnows »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: August 01, 2016, 06:57:43 am »

What version and what the hell?

...Well, you should be worried about the game tracking them. They might progressively eat more and more of your RAM, till you can't run that save/possibly give in to FPS death (unsure, they might not be doing much), or int overflow perhaps once their number goes over 2,14 billion.

That's quite fascinating behaviour - I usually have sentient population in largest sites clock out at around 10-11k and then sit there for centuries. I've found visitors able to push dwarven fortresses past the 200 they tend to stagnate at..But those are no visitors.

This reminds me of "swarms of giant mosquitoes". Interestingly, it seems fly men have no litter size defined and are adult at birth? Assuming 5 generations from 2,5k to 530k, it'd be *2,9 every generation. Nevertheless, I bet this is linked to vermin spawning on account of not stopping at normal limits, so I'd suggest finding the bugtracker for that bug and uploading the saves.

Nisper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: August 01, 2016, 08:44:52 am »

If i have an older save file for 32 bit and i switch to 64 bit can i use the save file?

LordKnows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: August 01, 2016, 09:28:36 am »

What version and what the hell?

43.05 64 bit, and yeah, it seems to be a bit of a doozy. Always fun when bugs involve literal bugs, though.  8)

I'm looking around on the bug tracker, though not finding anything that seems related yet. I'll investigate a bit more and then see if I can't assemble a bug report.

Performance seems surprisingly unaffected so far, both the start of fort/adventure time passing and in game performance seems the same as my initial runs before the presumed breeding explosion. DF using 1gb of ram, xml dump only increased in size by a few tens of mb. Only 6 hist. fig. fly-men in legends, hoping they're just hanging around being inactive and I can just stay away from those couple of sites in the future. Doubt it will stay that way if it starts going into the millions or billions of fly men though, haha.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: August 01, 2016, 10:13:02 am »

This reminds me of "swarms of giant mosquitoes". Interestingly, it seems fly men have no litter size defined and are adult at birth? Assuming 5 generations from 2,5k to 530k, it'd be *2,9 every generation. Nevertheless, I bet this is linked to vermin spawning on account of not stopping at normal limits, so I'd suggest finding the bugtracker for that bug and uploading the saves.

Flies were innumerable anyway, but remember that recently vermin populations were suddenly made self replenishing again, which might have had a small amount of contribution. That many fly men is unnatural, but goblins, humans and livestock humans usually aren't that far away from large numbers. (horses are very large common creatures and 'food profitable' therefore in bugged 10,000 pops they have more horses *usually around a quarter of the pop amount or slightly more* to cover the 'cost')

Excessive and even non-historical site population is addressed within this mantis report:http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7526

Taking your save there might provide a insight into what is going wrong, as we've not had any reports of animal men populations exploding like you describe yet though numerous saves have already been contributed.

LordFreezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: August 03, 2016, 11:07:37 pm »

Is there any way to bury dead invaders?  I would like my military dwarves to have tombs filled with the enemies they've slain.

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: August 04, 2016, 06:34:11 am »

If I retire my adventurer in my fort and he becomes mayor/duke/king/whatever, will he keep his status when I unretire him?
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: August 04, 2016, 02:05:31 pm »

Is there any way to bury dead invaders?  I would like my military dwarves to have tombs filled with the enemies they've slain.

It's been a while since I've dealt with this, but I think burial only applies to whatever species your fort's civ is (so dwarves 99% of the time).  I'm actually curious if that behavior has changed at all now that others are allowed to join your fort.  Do all citizens get buried?  What about long term residents, or whatever the other petition levels were?

Anyway, back in older versions at least I usually handled this by digging out burial plots and selectively dumping bodies there, sometimes with a slab used as a headstone.  It's very tedious and labor intensive though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: August 04, 2016, 02:24:12 pm »

Slabs are acceptable for non-fortress citizens, including neutrals and wagons (because they are 'mechanical creatures') so designating a crypt area with some decorative statues and slabs to commemorate battles is one nifty neat way of going about it.

To be buried somewhere is a honor many people who would seek to ursup dwarven civilisation do not deserve.

LordFreezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: August 04, 2016, 11:45:06 pm »

To be buried somewhere is a honor many people who would seek to ursup dwarven civilisation do not deserve.

Dang.  Although I would have thought that being buried in the tomb of the dwarf who killed you would have been a great dishonour.

Anyway, back in older versions at least I usually handled this by digging out burial plots and selectively dumping bodies there, sometimes with a slab used as a headstone.  It's very tedious and labor intensive though.

Hmmm, bring Magma to the lower reaches of my fort so I can get my metal industry going properly, or commit my dwarves to a completely unnecessary project....

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: August 06, 2016, 11:34:44 am »

Can I decorate 1 item with 3 types of adamantine (raw, cloth and wafers) or is it still considered the same material by the game?
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: August 08, 2016, 05:54:45 pm »

My dwarves won't make any wooden instrument pieces even though several of them have woodcrafting enabled. What gives?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 268