Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438821 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2940 on: August 08, 2016, 05:58:49 pm »

Have you tried all the potential solutions in this thread?

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: August 08, 2016, 06:14:11 pm »

There's no reason they wouldn't be able to reach the workshop with wood.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: August 08, 2016, 06:16:23 pm »

Have you everm, at any point in the fort's history, linked a stockpile to a workshop? First problem that came to mind.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: August 08, 2016, 06:37:08 pm »

Have you everm, at any point in the fort's history, linked a stockpile to a workshop? First problem that came to mind.

There's no wood stockpiles in my fort at all, presently.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: August 08, 2016, 07:19:06 pm »

Also, unrelated question: my tavern says there's no dance floor space available even though there's plenty of space. What gives?

Edit: nvm, got it
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 07:36:33 pm by Mister Always »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: August 08, 2016, 09:29:45 pm »

The presence or absence of wood stockpiles is irrelevant to whether you've linked ANY stockpile to the workshop.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: August 08, 2016, 10:01:54 pm »

The presence or absence of wood stockpiles is irrelevant to whether you've linked ANY stockpile to the workshop.

I have not.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: August 08, 2016, 10:05:08 pm »

Then that should rule out the most likely cause. ._.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: August 09, 2016, 01:47:45 am »

My dwarves won't make any wooden instrument pieces even though several of them have woodcrafting enabled. What gives?

A little more diagnostic information would be helpful. Does the job appear in a workshop? Does a dwarf take the job? Is there any job cancellation/error message?

Check that you haven't accidentally enabled "Workshop restrictions" on a civilian alert burrow. It's a "feature" that prevents workshops in the burrow from using resources outside the burrow (like your logs, presumably still lying on the surface), and it's "conveniently" toggled by pressing 'w' twice from the main screen.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: August 09, 2016, 01:11:06 pm »

Yesss. So many potential causes. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: August 10, 2016, 02:00:10 pm »

My dwarves won't make any wooden instrument pieces even though several of them have woodcrafting enabled. What gives?

A little more diagnostic information would be helpful. Does the job appear in a workshop? Does a dwarf take the job? Is there any job cancellation/error message?

Check that you haven't accidentally enabled "Workshop restrictions" on a civilian alert burrow. It's a "feature" that prevents workshops in the burrow from using resources outside the burrow (like your logs, presumably still lying on the surface), and it's "conveniently" toggled by pressing 'w' twice from the main screen.

I don't use burrows and I haven't designated any. The job appears in the listing when I order it. No dwarf takes the job but it isn't cancelled.

Is there something I'm missing about instrument making? A particular skill they need? Do I have to make the components out of other, tinier components?? What.

I even rebuilt the craftss shop completely. Still nothing. Though, a visiting human bard was just rude enough to die of alcohol poisoning on the floor of the tavern and dropped a green glass "taca". So there's that, at least.

Edit: turns out making a drum out of bone is more sensible than making it out of wood. Lol a'ight tho
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 04:57:55 pm by Mister Always »

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: August 18, 2016, 10:04:44 am »

Question: what's the best way to ensure that a stockpile is always filled?

I've got lots of metal ores laying around my fortress, but above ground and underground. I've also set up a stockpile for those ores near my smelters. However, I can't seem to get my dwarves to reliably fill that stockpile with the ores, as most of them are busy with other things. So I set aside an untrained peasant whose only allowed labor is stone hauling, but that guy is also getting distracted by other, non-ore stone. Is there any way to restrict him to hauling ORES instead of every kind of stone? Maybe with creative use of burrows?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: August 18, 2016, 03:39:40 pm »

Set up a garbage dump on top of it and mark all the appropriate items for dumping?

I've got lots of metal ores laying around my fortress, but above ground and underground. I've also set up a stockpile for those ores near my smelters. However, I can't seem to get my dwarves to reliably fill that stockpile with the ores, as most of them are busy with other things.

Removing the "other things" that your dwarves are constantly busy with would help. However, assigned wheelbarrows limit the number of active hauling jobs; for more capacity break a big pile into multiple smaller piles, each with its own wheelbarrows.

So I set aside an untrained peasant whose only allowed labor is stone hauling, but that guy is also getting distracted by other, non-ore stone. Is there any way to restrict him to hauling ORES instead of every kind of stone? Maybe with creative use of burrows?

Toggle your non-ore stone stockpiles to take from links only? Or just remove them entirely? Burrows probably wouldn't work since dwarves aren't able to operate a wheelbarrow outside their burrow.

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: August 18, 2016, 04:38:56 pm »

Set up a garbage dump on top of it and mark all the appropriate items for dumping?

That's not going to work for the simple reason that my dwarves are also to busy doing 'other things' to dump stuff.

I've got lots of metal ores laying around my fortress, but above ground and underground. I've also set up a stockpile for those ores near my smelters. However, I can't seem to get my dwarves to reliably fill that stockpile with the ores, as most of them are busy with other things.

Removing the "other things" that your dwarves are constantly busy with would help. However, assigned wheelbarrows limit the number of active hauling jobs; for more capacity break a big pile into multiple smaller piles, each with its own wheelbarrows.

That's straightforward :) But those things are pretty important to the survival of the fortress: farming, brewing, hauling food to the respective stockpiles, churning out rock blocks for construction, etc. For some reason, I have pretty serious problems with work managment in this fort. There's too much to do for my 180 dorfs...

So I set aside an untrained peasant whose only allowed labor is stone hauling, but that guy is also getting distracted by other, non-ore stone. Is there any way to restrict him to hauling ORES instead of every kind of stone? Maybe with creative use of burrows?

Toggle your non-ore stone stockpiles to take from links only? Or just remove them entirely? Burrows probably wouldn't work since dwarves aren't able to operate a wheelbarrow outside their burrow.

Same as the above, removing the other jobs/stockpiles isn't going to work, due to too many important things. I really, really need to rearrange my whole worke schedule. It's probably a bad idea to have 60 dwarves whose only enable job is farming the fields...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: August 18, 2016, 06:23:55 pm »

I've got lots of metal ores laying around my fortress, but above ground and underground. I've also set up a stockpile for those ores near my smelters. However, I can't seem to get my dwarves to reliably fill that stockpile with the ores, as most of them are busy with other things. So I set aside an untrained peasant whose only allowed labor is stone hauling, but that guy is also getting distracted by other, non-ore stone. Is there any way to restrict him to hauling ORES instead of every kind of stone? Maybe with creative use of burrows?

If you go into stone stockpile settings, you can forbid stones other than metal ores from hauling.
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 268