Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438890 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3000 on: September 30, 2016, 12:41:43 pm »

Probably because a larger portion of them actually come from somewhere.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: October 01, 2016, 12:33:25 pm »

So I've had some scattered missing animals and a single missing dwarf. Most of the missing animals were eventually accounted for, dwarf is still missing. What I'm confused about is the latest missing animal, it was a yak pet which means it should be somewhere within view from following its owner yet somehow it went missing. Thoughts?

zenos14

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: October 03, 2016, 02:15:40 pm »

So I've had some scattered missing animals and a single missing dwarf. Most of the missing animals were eventually accounted for, dwarf is still missing. What I'm confused about is the latest missing animal, it was a yak pet which means it should be somewhere within view from following its owner yet somehow it went missing. Thoughts?

Odds are it got stuck somewhere and starved to death, where does the owner usually hang out?

On an unrelated note, anyone have a clue what the the "Nearby" trait means in the work order conditions

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: October 03, 2016, 06:36:09 pm »

Odds are it got stuck somewhere and starved to death, where does the owner usually hang out?

Turned out it was down in my slab memorial area. Still not sure how it didn't get spotted immediately by its owner but... Eh.

On an unrelated note, anyone have a clue what the the "Nearby" trait means in the work order conditions
Maybe a linked stockpile or something similar?

Anyway does the military still need to be rotated to off duty or can you keep them in service permanently?

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: October 03, 2016, 07:53:10 pm »

Anyway does the military still need to be rotated to off duty or can you keep them in service permanently?

I keep my military in training (which counts as on duty, I think) full time unless I manually set them off duty on the squads screen to go equip new gear or something.  They gripe a little at first, but in the long term they end up happiest in my fort. 

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: October 05, 2016, 01:23:13 pm »

Anyone know an efficient way to build scaffolding for high constructed walls?

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: October 05, 2016, 02:29:28 pm »

Which type of efficiency and which type of construction?

If materials aren't a concern you can just build a big fleet of stairs as the scaffolding then build the wall next to it. Since the stairs support the wall you can just designate the entire wall in one go and let as many dwarves as you want build in tandem.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 02:33:14 pm by Slogo »

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: October 05, 2016, 02:39:22 pm »

If materials aren't a concern you can just build a big fleet of stairs as the scaffolding then build the wall next to it. Since the stairs support the wall you can just designate the entire wall in one go and let as many dwarves as you want build in tandem.

high wall (think above surface magma reservoir outer wall), efficiency as in easy and cheap and safe to construct and deconstruct. fleet of stairs seems good, thanks. (i am too impressed by pyramids i guess and ended up building ramparts with ramps and walls - not really suitable for high walls. i guess it is obvious i rarely construct large buildings above ground. :p )
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 02:44:46 pm by taptap »

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: October 05, 2016, 04:38:02 pm »

high wall (think above surface magma reservoir outer wall), efficiency as in easy and cheap and safe to construct and deconstruct. fleet of stairs seems good, thanks. (i am too impressed by pyramids i guess and ended up building ramparts with ramps and walls - not really suitable for high walls. i guess it is obvious i rarely construct large buildings above ground. :p )

Yeah mass stairs should work then, you can also create a feeder stockpile near your construction to help speed up how fast the wall goes up (have it take from your main stockpile). And make sure to use something light like wood for the stairs if you can so the dwarves haul them into place faster. If you don't have a supply of wood then any block or bar will be fine.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: October 05, 2016, 08:49:23 pm »

If you're willing to accept slightly odd architecture, this design avoids almost all scaffolding. Due to a bug, creatures can climb through vertically-diagonally if trees grow above wall tiles, but if you're using it for magma storage that shouldn't matter too much.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: October 06, 2016, 10:57:11 am »

Efficiency and high walls? Remember pyramids and use blocks, not raw stones.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
  • Traveling at the speed of Urist (not that fast)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: October 06, 2016, 11:22:23 am »

Is any ill-will incurred from denying someone residence (not citizenship)? I was wondering if my Tavern loses some fame or something.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: October 06, 2016, 12:41:06 pm »

I am missing some details for my water generating plant... I was sure it would work already sketched the automatisation and now this...

How do I prevent freezing water leaving a floor of ice above itself? Or put in another way, is there a way to guarantee a pump above has access to freshly melted water. Floor grate does not work, a floor of ice appears under it.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: October 06, 2016, 01:43:16 pm »

What about magma z-level above the ice floor?

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: October 06, 2016, 02:02:57 pm »

You can try encouraging the ice floor to cave in, being careful of the destructive implications that may have, but I'm not sure that's possible since the intake tile of the pump has to be on a floor.

The other possibility is prevent the tile below the pump intake from freezing (which may or may not be possible depending on your design) and just ignore the ice floors that get created.
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 268