Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440008 times)

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3645 on: July 04, 2019, 12:47:33 am »

Sound like sensible solutions, will have a look at soundsense. I have my hallways that lead into the caverns trapped, but the *large serrated copper discs* missed the Cave Crocodile (seems like a pretty agile crocodile...). So there's no "attack on dwarf by non-dwarven attacker initiated" line in the announcements.txt, I conclude ;)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: July 04, 2019, 05:52:02 am »

I also keep the SoundSense command line output open and this allows me to eyeball the text when I want to know specifically what caused a sound, so can see if it is something unimportant like hunting or an FB eating a crundle, or something important like a werecreature killing wildlife on the edge of the map, or that jabberer biting the leg off your web-collector.
Announcement Window can also help.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: July 05, 2019, 11:49:44 am »

Next question... I found out (guess how) that cage traps also catch caravans... I have built roads across the whole embark from my depot to the map edges where the caravans usually arrive (and goblins etc., too). The caravans seem to never arrive at the exactly same spot and they never "use" the road (I haven't built the roads with that exactly in mind, only to keep at least one route from overgrowing with trees). Now I'm a bit annoyed... oceans of puke only to have the caravan trapped in cages? Will caravans adhere to traffic restrictions? If not, it's more or less impossible to have cagetraps in the open because one always is at risk of killing an arriving caravan?
How do you handle it?

edit: hm, it seems as if the caged oxen still got to the depot, at least I can trade... so, can I put my cagetraps all over the place safely?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 12:01:22 pm by Large Wereroach »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: July 05, 2019, 12:00:55 pm »

What if you place your cage traps in an area where the caravans can’t reach? I’ve never had this problem though, this is just a guess

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: July 05, 2019, 12:03:51 pm »

actually the caravan arrived at the depot... the caged animals moved along *with* the cages and although there were no wagons visible, I can now trade alright... strange

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: July 05, 2019, 05:14:48 pm »

You might have been watching caged animals that the caravan brought for sale. Usually the caravan members will not be captured in a cage trap or drive their wagons over them.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: July 05, 2019, 07:36:49 pm »

I got horribly unlucky and got sieged during winter, so my beautifully crafted moat was frozen and everyone climbed over my walls. Should I cover my fort with a roof/floor?

Edit: I will not rest until I'm capable of dealing with both werebeasts and goblin sieges. I keep losing forts man I don't like that. ={
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 07:42:06 pm by xZippy »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: July 06, 2019, 01:59:51 am »

That's one option. Others are

- Make the top level exclusively of wall-like buildings, as buildings are unclimbable.

- Put an overhang (1z without walls, 2z with walls) the enemies can't jump onto from trees.

- Build even higher, until you reach the sky and can seal off top z-level. Only option that keeps out fliers while also keeping your courtyard perpetually both secure and above ground/light/outside despite digging/building underneath (using later-closed bridges as ceiling can also do this, but has periods of insecurity or being inside when you dig/build underneath.)

- Have a more obvious target for the enemies they'll die trying to get to.

- Have near everyone trained and well-armed, i.e. by having near entire fort in military with opposite inactive/active schedules.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 02:01:48 am by Fleeting Frames »

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: July 07, 2019, 01:39:01 am »

- Have a more obvious target for the enemies they'll die trying to get to.
Do platinum statues do the job? I have more than enough of that metal.

1.) When I make coins, what am I actually able to do with them..?
2.) How can I prevent climate control in the real world? ={
3.) During military training, are wooden weapons used automatically if they're in reach?

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: July 07, 2019, 04:53:41 am »

Hi there. Next question  ::) ;).
The "need to acquire something" according to the wiki can be fulfilled by carrying trinkets. Now, I don't use crafts for trading (given the amount of worn clothes that I also find hard to come by), I've just set the manager to have around 40 of every type available. This means, there are always at least 40 rings, earrings, scepters, crowns, bracelets, amulets etc. available. Yet most of my dwarves are dejected after not being able to acquire. It's right there next to the central stairway, folks, just grab one...
What are your approaches to this issue? Do you shift your crafts stockpile around the fortress every other week? Do you just ignore the whining for "shiny"? Are there other ways?

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: July 07, 2019, 06:06:44 am »

I've just set the manager to have around 40 of every type available. This means, there are always at least 40 rings, earrings, scepters, crowns, bracelets, amulets etc. available. Yet most of my dwarves are dejected after not being able to acquire. It's right there next to the central stairway, folks, just grab one...
What are your approaches to this issue? Do you shift your crafts stockpile around the fortress every other week? Do you just ignore the whining for "shiny"? Are there other ways?
Have you tried tinkering with what labors are enabled for which dwarves? This... sort of helped with some issues I had with dwarves not making very important armor when they're supposed to. Changing stockpiles around never solved anything for me, because if the dwarf is being a doof and ignoring things in front of them, changing the stockpile to the other side of a doorway didn't help.

Are you getting the "Dwarf cancelled because something something can't get to item something" message?

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: July 07, 2019, 06:31:55 am »

No, it's not the problem that they can't reach anything, but apparently they won't pick up any craft. Although that's not true either, because every dwarf in the fortress has got *plenty* of crafts on them. So it's either that they want to acquire something that I missed (the status screen does not state in detail what exactly they haven't been able to acquire) or they don't pick them up although I made sure that they have to pass a finished goods stockpile with only crafts in it on their way to the bedroom at least.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: July 07, 2019, 07:14:28 am »

Make a second stockpile for the crafts and disallow the items in the first one.  When they have all been transferred, send them back again.  Repeat as needed.

Yes it's silly, but dwarfs only grab trinkets when they are carrying out the 'store in stockpile' job with them.  Usual disclaimers apply about different dwarfs having different fetishes (and fetish levels)...  ;D

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: July 07, 2019, 07:25:58 am »

I must admit, I didn't even think of simply disabling/enabling but only about deleting the whole stockpile. Still I can see a problem that not every dwarf is involved in hauling the crafts from a to b and back. I have to admit, if indeed hauling is the only solution, that would be something I'd put on the "to-be-fixed" list, if this is intentional it's somewhat annoying...

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: July 07, 2019, 08:01:05 am »

Do platinum statues do the job? I have more than enough of that metal.

1.) When I make coins, what am I actually able to do with them..?
2.) How can I prevent climate control in the real world? ={
3.) During military training, are wooden weapons used automatically if they're in reach?

Statues, doors, workshops etc are good enough baits against building destroyers (trolls, were beasts, forgotten beast etc), regardless of what they are made of. Regular enemies won’t bother with them though and will just try to reach your soldiers and civilians if there is an open path to them.

1) coins have no use right now, except as barter goods for the caravan and various danger room designs.

2) you won’t need to control the climate if there is no world.

3) no. During training they use whatever weapon they are carrying/have been assigned. You will have to assign them training weapons yourself if you want them to use them but there is no real reason to do so unless you don’t have access to metal weapons for some reason.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 268