Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: Kaiju-COM  (Read 21556 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kaiju-COM
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2014, 06:07:19 pm »

Tip of the day: Did you know that you can hire out your military assets for non-kaiju related tasks? You risk losing all or part of them, and suffer breach-of-contract penalties if you need to suddenly re-assign them. They will be worth more and have possibly have reduced casualties as their training and your tech level increase.

Furtuka's Timmy Grant and the Kaiju Fighters
Some of the undergrads steal an old school bus sometime in the night of August 3rd, and spraypainted it so nobody else on the team would notice. By the time this is discovered, it's already had scrap metal poorly welded to the sides, and the rear modified so it manually folds up into the ceiling to expose a hypothetical sound system. Plans have been drawn up for modifying a fairly pricy system to take up half the bus. The local authorities are not happy, and have taken thee undergrads into custody. They have decided to donate the now-useless school bus to you. (Costs 10 credits, 5 engineer months to finish building.)

The costume design is a full body robot suit. The repeating steel plates over a proprietary thermal protection bodysuit look to be really bulky and uncomfortable, and each suit will take significant time to make.

Those studying the claw remark that it's really cool. It appears to be made of an unexpectedly dense organic material. It isn't very sharp, and is fairly brittle. They estimate that it would break if used in combat, and need to be regenerated. No special acoustics properties are noted. The claw now has a crack in it, and the tip is broken off.

The bone was stolen in the night, likely due to an undergrad forgetting to lock the door. All they learned was that it was really heavy.

Your advertising is an absolute failure. You are now known around town as "Timmy Grant and the Veterans for Demeaning Work."

-3 undergrads
+1 Scrap-armored bus.
+Design for scrap-armored audio blaster bus (20 credits, 15 engineer months)
+Design for Mki Rocker Suit (25CR, 25 engineer months)
+Claw merely damaged by the research.

IronyOwl's SINCOM

None of the undergrads studying the brain sample have taken any classes in neurochemistry, but they give the report their best shot. Alien DNA has six proteins, obviously different from humanity's, dubbed U, V, W, X, Y, Z. They speculate that a kaiju/human crossbreed is therefore impossible. Of the brain itself, they think they find minor thermal damage not caused by battle, possibly by some sort of overclocking. The one who took the lead on the project demands that you get 'her' paper published (5CR) so she can collect her Nobel prize.

The engineers make a fairly serviceable design for a camera drone from scrap parts.

The special forces platoon gets a job that turns out to be unexpectedly hazardous. Two die and three are maimed such that they must retire. You receive extra hazard pay. (+15CR)

+Preliminary kaiju neural and genetic research completed. Brain sample destroyed.
+Cheap Camera Drone (8 engineer months)
+15CR
-platoon loses strength. May replace losses for 2CR and low xp loss.

Adwarf's Black Forge

Your railgun project confirms that the laboratory wall is not immune to railgun weaponry. They make no progress in making the weapon worthwhile on the battlefield. (-15CR)

Your explosives research only succeeded in killing 6 undergrads.

Project Deliverance modifies an existing military autocannon design. The result is fairly heavy and cumbersome, and quickly chews through ammo, but should be able to devastate tanks in close range.

Project Construct is generally a failure, and nobody could figure out a way to build modular vehicles that could remotely keep up with military hardware. The senior engineers on the project turn to alcoholism to cope with their job difficulties.

+Deliverance Gatling-squad Cannon (5CR, 6 engineer months, 2CR + 1 engineer month per engagement in ammo)
-6 undergrads

Wwolin's F.A.F.N.I.R.

The undergrads assigned to study the skin determine that, without regeneration, it is vulnerable to buzzsaws, swords, bullets, and napalm.

The armor design is Kevlar with ceramic plates, with thin layers of metal in key spots to look reminiscent of plate-mail. Not enough about the kaiju is known for an effective infantry armor system for them, but this should be effective against bullets and stray battlefield debris.

Your motorcycle team draws up a fairly effective design certain to impress civilians. It's not the most durable, but it's fairly fast.

The bone is nearly destroyed twice in the first week of study, but the lab's automated systems manage to prevent most of the damage. The undergrads determine that it is made of ultra-dense organic materials. They're pretty sure it would make for cool armor, if some way to work with the bones without reducing them to a fine powder was discovered. The powder appears to be useless, unless you're looking for a lethal milkshake ingredient.

The residents of San Francisco are grateful to F.A.F.N.I.R. for their support. The organization now has one dedicated fan site, complete with wiki.

The pilots learn little from reviewing the combat data.

-Skin and bone samples destroyed
-1 undergrad
+Infantry anti-bullet body armor (25CR, 15 engineer months for a set of 50)
+Impressive motorcycle design (60CR, 30 engineer months for 25 two-person bikes)
+F.A.F.N.I.R. respect
+Preliminary bone research completed.

Remalle's NERV

Before the bone sample is accidentally destroyed, the researchers determine that it is made up of an ultra-dense exotic organic compound that, while heavy, is surprisingly light for its strength.

Nobody really learns anything useful about the muscle sample before laboratory stresses destroy it.

The undergrad assigned to track kaiju appearances buys a big map and a box of tacks, sticks one into San Francisco, and writes down in a journal that the first attack was on August 9th, 2014.

Plans are started for a powered exoskeleton.

The three engineers find themselves unable to improve on military technology.

The undergrad assigned to the tracking system project productively spends his time typing away at strings of code.

Your military guards the base and trains, while the child pilots rotate between playing Titanfall, PT, and hanging out with the soldiers on-watch. The Third hates PT, but is in mild danger of considering you to be really cool.

+Preliminary bone research completed.
+Preliminary plans for powered exoskeleton

Sarrak's HERALD

The knife redesign goes poorly, given that the kaiju are almost complete unknowns who probably should not be stabbed with infantry knives. They advise a large, durable knife on the general market.

The harsh training wipes out a full platoon's worth of troops. The remaining platoon organization is re-arranged, with the ones that best learned the lessons together.

The pilots learn their lessons well, and promise not to disappoint you enough that you'll order them to crash into a giant monster. ((I missed seeing you pay extra for them. They're experienced now.))

-1 special forces platoon
+1 special forces platoon gains the survival trait.

Hawk132's Halberd

Nothing is really learned about the muscle sample, other than that it's surprisingly strong.

The spinal cord sample study goes slightly better. There seems to be the remnants of a scar, which has effectively healed over. It looks like the kaiju won't be stopped for long by a bit of spine damage.

The bone is made of an exotic alien compound that looks nothing like normal bones.

The combat data reveals that it will take a massive amount of firepower to bring down a kaiju. You're out of popcorn.
Project VERT designs a chassis for the mech that stands about twice as high as a human. It's fairly unstable when walking faster than a crawl, and needs more work.

No worthwhile PMC work is found.

+Preliminairy spinal cord research completed
+Preliminary bone research completed
+Project VERT makes progress
-Bone sample
-Spinal cord sample
-Muscle sample

Spoiler: Remalle's NERV (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sarrak's HERALD (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Adwarf's Black Forge (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wwolin's F.A.F.N.I.R. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: IronyOwl's SINCOM (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hawk132's Halberd (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Building Purchase List (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Personnel List (click to show/hide)

Turn 2, September 2014. Hiring and purchasing phase start.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2014, 06:16:00 pm »

Purchase one small workshop for 200 CR
Hire 3 Undergrads

Remaining credits: 398 - 200 = 198 CR
Income 382 - 3 = 379 CR/month
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:46:59 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2014, 06:46:10 pm »

Black Forge
Build:
Upgrade Ballistics Research Lab with 200 CR (-200 CR)

Recruitment:
Spend 150 credits on purchasing an advanced infantry division. (-150 CR)
Recruit 6 more undergrads to replace those lost. (-0 CR)

Book Keeping:
Credits: 448 - 350 = 98 Credits
Income: 386 - 31 = 355 Credits per Month

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2014, 07:06:37 pm »

((How come wwolin lost an undergrad? There doesn't seem to be an explanation in the turn.))

The powder appears to be useless, unless you're looking for a lethal milkshake ingredient.
((Please sell novelty Kaiju purée.))

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2014, 07:31:51 pm »

Hire
25x General Scientists (250, 125 per month)
1x Undergrad (0, 1 per month)

Build
1x Small Workshop, upgraded once (300)

And I'll just put my updated sheet here, for convenient copypasting. I also added the bone research to it, because the turn said I got that, and fixed the expenses because I was spending 240 a month, not 224.

Spoiler: Wwolin's F.A.F.N.I.R. (click to show/hide)

((How come wwolin lost an undergrad? There doesn't seem to be an explanation in the turn.))

Well someone had to try the novelty Kaiju purée, didn't they?
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2014, 09:45:39 pm »

Hmmm, interesting results, I'll have to put this down in my Really real Ecstatic Awesome with Lasers Notebook, or R.E.A.L. Book for short:
  • Undergraduate students are not fit for creation of cutting edge Military level technology.
  • Knifes might not work against super powered death beasts from beyond the stars.
Now you see, this is real research going on, right here.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2014, 10:34:16 pm »

Pay 2CR for replacement soldiers, 5CR for bribing Nobel committee publishing paper displaying SINCOM's utter scientific dominance in the field of Kaiju study.

Hire 10 General Scientists (-100CR)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2014, 11:38:37 pm »

Order construction of a large workshop.  We'll need sufficient space to create Evangelion.
Also, open a channel to Black Forge.  Offer them our initial research into Kaiju bone structure and powered exoskeletons in exchange for their bone sample and the new weapon design they've been working on.

And Fuyutsuki... the Third Child is showing worrying signs of dangerous optimism.  Take his favourite toys away.

Financial Report:
15 CR
327 CR per month

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2014, 11:43:29 pm »

In answer NERV receives a message in plain text.

"Black Forge accepts the trade of the Kaiju bone for your research into the subject. However the Deliverance Weapon System will only be traded for completed plans of a powered exoskeleton."

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2014, 11:56:04 pm »

Your terms are fair, and we generously accept your counteroffer.  Dr. Akagi, send a copy of the research into Kaiju bone structure to Black Forge and prepare to receive another bone sample.  In addition, find and study SINCOM's report on Kaiju neurology - I want that data.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2014, 07:18:35 am »

Halberd

Construct:

Large Airfield -150CR
Hangars -50CR

Recruitment & Requisitions:

2 VTOL Transport Aircraft -50CR?
6 General Engineers -60CR, -30CR/mo
5 General Scientists -50CR, -25CR/mo
5 General Pilots -20CR, -5CR/mo

Financial Report:

Total expenses - 380CR
Remaining funds - 33CR
Net income - 310CR/mo
Monthly expenses - 190CR/mo

Total personnel - 169/200
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2014, 08:08:04 am »

When the Kaiju emerges in a populated area, I suggest you level the urban area both to deny it cover and prevent civilians getting caught in the crossfire. Anyway this is very enjoyable, wish I could have joined.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2014, 08:12:00 am »

When the Kaiju emerges in a populated area, I suggest you level the urban area both to deny it cover and prevent civilians getting caught in the crossfire.
Prevent civilians from being caught in the crossfire by destroying the buildings they've taken shelter inside.

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2014, 08:16:02 am »

Yes it wasn't an accident, it was deliberate targeting and removes the terror value of the Kaiju.  ;)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2014, 09:03:35 am »

Kaiju Kills: 30,283
SINCOM Kills: 412,589

WHO YOU SCARED OF NOW BITCHES?
Please don't found a black ops organization to put an end to our threat we tried that before and it got complicated.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16