Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1849497 times)

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #255 on: August 01, 2014, 10:46:52 am »

It means pretty much that I haven't gotten around to giving them something better to say, even if there was a reputation change etc., due to time constraints as much as anything.  Certain conversation replies default to boring things, and it was inevitable is the bottom of the bucket.
It was inevitable that it was inevitable is the bottom of the bucket.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #256 on: August 01, 2014, 01:43:10 pm »

Congratulations on the July donations. It must feel really rewarding after such a long dev time!
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

amistospindraca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 01, 2014, 06:38:52 pm »

It means pretty much that I haven't gotten around to giving them something better to say, even if there was a reputation change etc., due to time constraints as much as anything.  Certain conversation replies default to boring things, and it was inevitable is the bottom of the bucket.

Thank you, this answer made me burst out in laughter.
I'm now imagining all "it was inevitable" being said with an expression of being slightly at loss for words:

Adventurer: I slayed the mighty dragon!
Lady: ...Whu... It was... inevitable?

I was picturing it as more DF's equivalent of "Yeah, Whatever."

Adventurer: I slayed the mighty dragon!
Lady: It was inevitable. What, you want a medal or something?

"Certain conversation replies default to boring things, and it was inevitable is the bottom of the bucket."  Making "inevitable" is the LAST resort in a conversation suggests Toady's sense of humor is more subversive than I previously recognized.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 01, 2014, 09:01:06 pm »

Congratulations on the donations! Is that a record level or not? It seems like the level we got when 0.34.01 hit.

So, the [SPOILER] forts underground are no longer in? That explains why I haven’t been able to find them, fortunately I do not now need to explore underground with an adventurer to confirm their non-existance. Hopefully they’ll go back in soon (like, next bugfix version maybe? If you can remember why they were taken out?)  8)

I think it would be great to see the next larger-ish version not take as long as this one did. I get this time around a lot of changes were made, though.

Hopefully I should be able to play some more of this new version soon - scheduling guys.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:04:17 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 01, 2014, 09:43:21 pm »

April 2010: $16104.49 + One Trillion Zimbabwean Dollars
February 2012: $12586.51
July 2014: $15273.52

Close to the record, but not quite.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #260 on: August 01, 2014, 10:05:04 pm »

Notably there were no 4 digit people this time, where April 2010 had at least two, so it certainly feels like a record in terms of number of contributions...  the monthly count has never gotten to page 6 in the notebook before.  So we're very happy with how things are going.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 02, 2014, 12:47:15 am »

15k... that is a lot. Thanks again for the new version.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 02, 2014, 02:19:34 am »

And there is the fact that DF2010 had its release on April 1st, so it had 7 more days to gather donations.

However, by volume of searches, Dwarf Fortress had only its fifth best month:

Google Trends

Maybe it is because many people already know about DF.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 02, 2014, 11:35:07 am »

Many thanks, Toady!
Didn't know about this new thread, will try to help out with questions next time.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 02, 2014, 02:39:13 pm »

Hiya,

Do you have an idea as to how much you still need to implement before being able to tackle various fort mode start scenarios?

As in, being able to do a hermit fort scenario without having to kill off six of the starting seven?  Or some sort of last dwarves/generational scenario without having to re-roll fifty thousand times (exaggerated, yes, but the point stands) to get six of the starting seven to be age matches?  And so on.

Note that I'm not asking "when", I'm asking "what still needs to be done before."

Thanks for the game, and all of your ongoing answers.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 02, 2014, 06:34:41 pm »

Quote from: Today's devlog
Some more bugs were eaten by toad...
Heh.

Also, autocorrect, 'were' and 'toad' were words last I checked.

vallannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 03, 2014, 02:59:24 am »

On a slightly longer term front, do we know what the current goals are after adding useful smaller features like job priorities? Are we getting around to sending out dwarf mode armies now / all of the old Army Arc ideas given that we now have an active world with real diplomacy to play with? Or is it going to be more improvements for adventure mode?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 03, 2014, 03:04:32 am »

On a slightly longer term front, do we know what the current goals are after adding useful smaller features like job priorities? Are we getting around to sending out dwarf mode armies now / all of the old Army Arc ideas given that we now have an active world with real diplomacy to play with? Or is it going to be more improvements for adventure mode?

Toady talked some time ago about doing proper taverns for adventure and fortress mode, and maybe some of the things related to it (parties, music). This would allow the ability to a player to have visitors in their fortresses for some time beyond the usual merchants/diplomats.

Anyway, probable the next step after job priorites is here:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 03, 2014, 06:46:13 am »

hey,toady.
Are there any plans to degrade item quality over time?It seems weird that you cannot see the dents and scratches in the armor that you find in lairs,or find them partly rusted. You cannot see blades broken in half,smashed-in helmets rendered unusable by the fierce blows of a silver warhammer,or simply swords and daggers losing their edge when used often.It would make quality armor much rarer,and you would not have piles of items everywhere(THOUSAND year old socks? stolen iron greaves in kobold caves,hundreds of years old,even if iron held in crappy conditions rusts away really fast?).It would also make scrapping and repairing broken equipment a much more essential part of the fortress mode-cannot mine with a broken pick,can you?It would make the game much more entertaining and long-lasting,when you cannot dig straight for the cotton candy. 
I am a Goober.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 03, 2014, 06:59:44 am »

hey,toady.
Are there any plans to degrade item quality over time?It seems weird that you cannot see the dents and scratches in the armor that you find in lairs,or find them partly rusted. You cannot see blades broken in half,smashed-in helmets rendered unusable by the fierce blows of a silver warhammer,or simply swords and daggers losing their edge when used often.It would make quality armor much rarer,and you would not have piles of items everywhere(THOUSAND year old socks? stolen iron greaves in kobold caves,hundreds of years old,even if iron held in crappy conditions rusts away really fast?).It would also make scrapping and repairing broken equipment a much more essential part of the fortress mode-cannot mine with a broken pick,can you?It would make the game much more entertaining and long-lasting,when you cannot dig straight for the cotton candy. 
Yes.
Req149, FINISH ITEM DAMAGE, (Future): Fully implement item wear-and-tear, especially during combat. People throwing tantrums should be able to damage items in their square rather than just throwing them.
Req164, ITEM DAMAGE ISSUES, (Future): Handle projectile damage for odd objects. There are also problems with projectile damage being used when ammo is used in close combat
Bloat308, QUALITY/DAMAGE CUSTOM STOCKPILES, (Future): Allow stockpiles to specify quality/damage state.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 306