Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1849526 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1335 on: February 06, 2015, 08:28:03 am »

I imagine there are plans for each race to have their own unique instruments, but it would be also be nice to see the musical instrument phase start to introduce cultural differences between different civilizations of the same race. Dwarves from the tropical jungles with different musical styles to those found up near the terrifying glaciers. That would be a very satisfying step towards a fully realized, yet procedurally generated fantasy world.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: February 06, 2015, 09:00:53 am »

Uh, oh... now I get it. Toady feel free to disregard that question. Thanks for the clarifications.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: February 06, 2015, 04:32:03 pm »

Why randomly generated instruments?

DF is eventually expected / intended to procedurally generate entire fantasy worlds.  It's already closer to that than any other software I'm aware of; but procedurally generating *cultures* is a seriously under-explored area. 

Music and poetry, sometimes combined into song, is one of the most powerful and obvious differentiators of culture.  Toady is working on procedural generation of all three, and that is going to be very interesting to see how it works out. 

And as for your other objection, most people are not familiar with real pre-1400 (or even pre-1600) instruments by either name or sound.  Without looking it up, which of the veena or the bandora is ancient, and which is mid- renaissance and technically post-period for DF? (1)  If someone referred to a "wait-pipe", what then-common instrument would that be?  (2)  And of the salpinx, sackbut, aulos, and zampogna, which would have been the companion instrument implied by that description? (3) 

How many of those simple, common, examples has the average DF player *ever* heard played... heck, how many of them has even the average music historian even heard played?  I've enjoyed live performances of Piffaro, an awesome renaissance band which occasionally dips back into late medieval, and they perform with a bewildering variety of instruments most people have neither heard, nor heard of... and most of theirs are several hundred years closer to familiar modern instruments. 

tl;dr: Procedurally-generated cultures demand ways that the cultures are different, and music is a great way to show that.  Additionally, most actual historical instruments have strange names and stranger sounds to modern players, to the point that in a listing of dulcian, krumhorn, launedda, fiblergausth, swarabat, tiexianzai, charango, grajabpi... does your invented "fiblergausth" look any stranger?  (All of the others are real historical instruments.) 

(1) The veena dates from antiquity (shows up on coins from mid-300s), whereas the bandora is believed to only date back to around 1560.
(2) The "wait pipe" was slang for the shawm
(3) The description implies use in a medieval or renaissance ceremonial European town band, which would typically be comprised of shawm and sackbut players. 

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: February 06, 2015, 05:11:49 pm »

Very well spoken, sir.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: February 06, 2015, 05:43:04 pm »

...Additionally, most actual historical instruments have strange names and stranger sounds to modern players, to the point that in a listing of dulcian, krumhorn, launedda, fiblergausth, swarabat, tiexianzai, charango, grajabpi... does your invented "fiblergausth" look any stranger?...

Now I mostly agree with you. However, most instruments have names similar to what they sound like, to the point where they could be considered onomatopoeia. It would be hard to replicate that with procedural generation, and there could be some mental disconnect between name and function.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: February 06, 2015, 09:28:31 pm »

That's a very interesting angle to look upon this subjet, I guess there's a lack of "musicality" in me, hence my incomprehension.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: February 06, 2015, 09:33:20 pm »

...Additionally, most actual historical instruments have strange names and stranger sounds to modern players, to the point that in a listing of dulcian, krumhorn, launedda, fiblergausth, swarabat, tiexianzai, charango, grajabpi... does your invented "fiblergausth" look any stranger?...

Now I mostly agree with you. However, most instruments have names similar to what they sound like, to the point where they could be considered onomatopoeia. It would be hard to replicate that with procedural generation, and there could be some mental disconnect between name and function.

Oboe? Piano? Harpsichord? A lot of the "names similar to what they sound like" are almost entirely due to the association of the sound with the instrument, which is pretty much all a cultural thing.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: February 07, 2015, 04:30:47 am »

Wait, this time next year we could have a dorf get an urge to make something awesome, run off and gather some wood, wires, a few pieces of metal, and a couple of gems... then turn them into a frickin' lightning-shooting literally "electric" guitartifact, which could then end up becoming the holy item for a church of rock?

Amazing.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: February 07, 2015, 06:36:28 am »

*-+
Wait, this time next year we could have a dorf get an urge to make something awesome, run off and gather some wood, wires, a few pieces of metal, and a couple of gems... then turn them into a frickin' lightning-shooting literally "electric" guitartifact, which could then end up becoming the holy item for a church of rock?

Amazing.
Shooting lightning seems like an odd choice for an instrument, I wouldn't say it's something that's certainly in. Becoming a holy item of a church is also not something that's been talked about – sure, the potential is there, but it would have to be in fortress start scenarios and it would be pretty incidental to the point of that release. In the (fairly unlikely, in my opinion) even that Toady does go off that far on tangents, it definitely won't be done by a year from now.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: February 07, 2015, 07:25:50 am »

If you need to have learned (or at least heard) a music style, or poetical style, before using it-- how are new styles generated?  Would a new type of strange mood create a style, or are they only created on day one of worldgen?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: February 07, 2015, 09:25:16 am »

If you need to have learned (or at least heard) a music style, or poetical style, before using it-- how are new styles generated?  Would a new type of strange mood create a style, or are they only created on day one of worldgen?
Toady's been talking as though they're wholly culturally-based in origin, so day 1 seems more likely. A strange mood for a poet seems way more awesome though, especialy if his legendary skill is in the use of his new form of poetry. A god giving poetry to mortals, Odin-style, would also be cool.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: February 07, 2015, 03:48:39 pm »

*-+

Amazing.
Shooting lightning seems like an odd choice for an instrument, I wouldn't say it's something that's certainly in. Becoming a holy item of a church is also not something that's been talked about – sure, the potential is there, but it would have to be in fortress start scenarios and it would be pretty incidental to the point of that release. In the (fairly unlikely, in my opinion) even that Toady does go off that far on tangents, it definitely won't be done by a year from now.
Well, lightning was just what I went with for the electric guitar part, and I figure dorfs can worship megabeasts that kill their families, why not an awesome rock guitar, right?

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: February 08, 2015, 03:59:23 am »

with the upcoming addition of taverns and the recent addition of both sexual preferences and lust propensity what are your thoughts on one of worlds oldest professions, prostitution? as taverns and bars where being used as makeshift brothels for centuries and some evidence's that temples to fertility goddesses had sacred prostitution as far back as 1800BCE.
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: February 08, 2015, 04:13:15 am »

That's more a DFTalk question, I think, since actual lust isn't quite a thing yet AFAIK (no out-of-wedlock intercourse... and for that matter, no intercourse at all)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: February 08, 2015, 06:54:51 am »

That's more a DFTalk question, I think, since actual lust isn't quite a thing yet AFAIK (no out-of-wedlock intercourse... and for that matter, no intercourse at all)

There in intercourse since the gelding update, but sexual desire should be greatly expanded.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 306