Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1849654 times)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3015 on: December 11, 2015, 08:07:47 pm »

...honestly, which is more filling? Most people... don't eat elephant hearts.
What's wrong with elephant hearts? I mean there's conservation issues, sure. But all that solid muscle is probably tasty. Better than small chicken hearts you can buy.

The point is of course the size. An elephant heart is a bit bigger than a leaf of lettuce.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3016 on: December 11, 2015, 09:25:59 pm »

...honestly, which is more filling? Most people... don't eat elephant hearts.
What's wrong with elephant hearts? I mean there's conservation issues, sure. But all that solid muscle is probably tasty. Better than small chicken hearts you can buy.

Where do you think they get popcorn chicken?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: December 11, 2015, 09:34:39 pm »

Now we have guests arriving to use our Taverns and Libraries, what are the goals for their interactions with other Fortress facilities? I ask because a visitor got into a tavern brawl and broke his arm, but seems to be ignorant that there's a hospital across the corridor.

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: December 12, 2015, 07:24:27 am »

How long does it usually take for a whole new release (Mac and Linux included) to compile these days?

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: December 12, 2015, 07:57:17 am »

I bet weapons are to exacting to be rng'ed up.
I doubt it. The main problem right now is that there isn't much to vary for random weapons (and even less so for other items), as I've noticed in my random entity creature script. The main difficulty would be the "exposition" I guess.

Exposition would defiantly be the load bearing feature. If you take thing like, swords or spears or hammers, as simply descriptive instead of prescriptive, the game could just generate us some very broad, dull "swords" that'll use the sword skills, but they're maces or hammers. If we get abstracted description of the sword that might help us? But unlike musical instruments, where its mostly abstraction, for combat there a fair bit of simulation.

Eventually the playerbase would learn what the descriptor mean for weapons, and we'll be able to tell when it give us fat swords or light hammers.
I wouldn't mind seeing something like the current system for instruments for weapons. Could have differently sized weapons that may or may not require multiple parts or be a construction. It would make things like large stationary mechanical arbalests just as likely as fist-mounted morningstars. Skills could be weapon-type based I guess. A master uristsword user Master Small Bladed Weapon User or whatever.

The Solonurist is a medium hand-held projectile weapon. It fires ålaths slowly but powerfully. It is made of a wood stock and metal string. It requires mechanisms. Uses the x projectile weapon skill.

The Uristotad is a small fist-mounted multi-blade weapon. Its blades extend mechanically. It is made from a bone mount and metal blades. It requires mechanisms. Uses the y fist-mounted weapon skill.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 02:22:08 pm by Ysyua »
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: December 12, 2015, 11:28:55 am »

Bleh. I'd rather not have the WEAPONS use the random gibberish names. <.<

That's been my big pet peeve with the instruments. All of them could easily be given a name and adjective that sums them up by comparing them to a real-world instrument, because they're all built with real-world properties in mind. So I can never tell what the hell I'm looking at unless I go into the item description, when at a bare minimum the skill used and thus the instrument class (percussion, wind, string, etc) should be obvious at a glance.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3021 on: December 12, 2015, 02:00:26 pm »

That's been my big pet peeve with the instruments. All of them could easily be given a name and adjective that sums them up by comparing them to a real-world instrument, because they're all built with real-world properties in mind. So I can never tell what the hell I'm looking at unless I go into the item description, when at a bare minimum the skill used and thus the instrument class (percussion, wind, string, etc) should be obvious at a glance.
I think Toady has said several times he wants to get to the point of random generation slider, where we can either choose between 100% raw stuff or 100% generated alien world. I think the instruments were mostly a case of flexing the fingers for this then, and we'll get violin raws in the future.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: December 12, 2015, 02:09:10 pm »

Oooh. Since the update did include examples of pre-built instruments for demonstration purposes, that sounds promising. owo
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: December 12, 2015, 04:50:22 pm »

(*) Made training marksdwarves want both combat and training ammunition and fetch stacks appropriately (thanks to ag for analyzing this one)

o0o
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: December 12, 2015, 06:52:55 pm »

In DFTalk #14, you mention Werebeast-generation using the same selection of creatures as Forgotten Beast-generation, hence monstrosities like Weremaggots. It doesn't seem to have worked out that way, with a more mammalian/reptilian/real-world-based selection, and even wolves seemingly excluded from the pool. Will this change anytime soon?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 06:54:29 pm by Urlance Woolsbane »
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: December 12, 2015, 07:01:23 pm »

In DFTalk #14, you mention Werebeast-generation using the same selection of creatures as Forgotten Beast-generation, hence monstrosities like Weremaggots. It doesn't seem to have worked out that way, with a more mammalian/reptilian/real-world-based selection, and even wolves seemingly excluded from the pool. Will this change anytime soon?

Strange, I've seen a werewolf before. Granted, only once, but still.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: December 12, 2015, 07:21:58 pm »

Strange, I've seen a werewolf before. Granted, only once, but still.
That's good to know. It must just be the odds. I've never seen one, not even in the Arena.
Aw.... :(
Imagine all the cool things you could get from invaders.
Don't you want your Dwarves marching into battle wielding Durfufujubakuses and clad in Kleejuses?
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: December 12, 2015, 07:23:16 pm »

Hush, or you'll be neck-deep in werekobolds. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: December 12, 2015, 07:26:08 pm »

Hush, or you'll be neck-deep in werekobolds. o3o
There's an idea. With a bit of DFHackery, you could have them spout random, unintelligible taunts.

D'aawwwwwww!
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: December 12, 2015, 07:35:58 pm »

Man, I remember the days when bandits would yell out "Halt, in the name of [GROUP_NAME]!" Good times.
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 306