Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Changes to Mining?  (Read 5220 times)

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Changes to Mining?
« on: July 14, 2014, 05:19:09 pm »

In .40.03, I've noticed that when my dwarves dig a mineral or gem, the floor left behind from where the mineral block was is the default stone block of that layer. I discovered this when I carved my dining room into a tube of candy, and only had a phyllite floor. Anyone know if this is intentional or not?

I'm tentatively all for it, because it will finally get rid of those annoying technicolour dining rooms caused by a random vein of ilmenite, though it does technically make the game harder.

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Change to Mining?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 05:24:09 pm »

I can confirm this,  hmm not sure if i like it yet or not.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 05:26:04 pm »

Not sure I like it for minerals. Definitely like it for gems as it makes sense.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

cikulisu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 05:29:42 pm »

>makes the game harder

how so OP?

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 05:31:23 pm »

No smoothed-ingraved-highValue Gold Ore Floor for one. That's been a mainstay of my Noble's rooms for a while.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 05:33:02 pm »

No smoothed-ingraved-highValue Gold Ore Floor for one. That's been a mainstay of my Noble's rooms for a while.
I'm going to miss having dining halls with magnetite floors, now.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 05:50:55 pm »

Curious how obsidianizing floors will work now.

Will filling a room with obsidian then mining out leave obsidian floors ($$ compared to other stones), or will it leave the original stone type?

hmm.. too bad I dont have a magma reactor in the current version.

dudlol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 06:02:35 pm »

Expanding on the comment above, I wonder how casting obsidian on dirt will work now?

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 06:47:25 pm »

>makes the game harder

how so OP?

You could engrave the floors of bedrooms and such in veins of minerals for crazily-valuable rooms. The value modifier of the engraving is multiplied by the value of the material

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Changes to Mining?
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 06:53:04 pm »

At least marble is still a layerstone. Obsidian can be as well, near volcanos.
I guess it is ok for gems and even ores that they get mined out properly, but why normal stone that just isn't layerstone? So when I mine out bauxite I should get bauxite floor.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 10:22:06 pm »

I guess it is ok for gems and even ores that they get mined out properly, but why normal stone that just isn't layerstone? So when I mine out bauxite I should get bauxite floor.
Stone generates in two types, vein and layer. Bauxite is a vein stone, so the floor resets to that of the layer once the bauxite is mined out. Remember, there's no "normal stone" in DF.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 03:24:57 am »

I really like this feature. It makes sense to me that when dwarves mine out a metal vein, they would, you know, mine out all of it? Okay you have to consider cave-ins, but that's more about leaving pillars, not the height of the mined out rock.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 03:34:43 am »

>makes the game harder
how so OP?
You could engrave the floors of bedrooms and such in veins of minerals for crazily-valuable rooms.
In my opinion, creating expensive rooms has never been a problem--unless you're playing with artifacts turned off or your fort is still in its first year, you will get handed random sparkly junk that you can either stick in a weapon trap, or build all on its own. Nobles = happy. Indeed, bedrooms with expensive floors have always been a real pain in the ass, and not just for me, as nobles tend to go apeshit if some "lowly" dwarf has a room better than the noble thinks they deserve.

Admittedly, the current version has some nobility issues: Right after you embark, somebody might decide to attack your capital, and they automatically win. If one of your dwarves is related to the King, or you're the only members of your civilization left, then BOOM! Your random hauler suddenly needs solid gold armor stands, and you haven't even gotten around to making any beds yet. But this happens only rarely, and the reason for it will surely be fixed relatively soon.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 04:28:24 am »

Stone generates in two types, vein and layer. Bauxite is a vein stone, so the floor resets to that of the layer once the bauxite is mined out. Remember, there's no "normal stone" in DF.

Well, I should have said non-economic rock instead of normal stone. :D
I know the difference between layer- and vein stone, but I still think vein stones should be visible on the ground after digging them out. As opposed to vein ores. Though I guess that is impossible right now, as they are probably the same as it concerns the game.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 04:39:57 am »

I didn't like this, but reading this thread has changed my mind, firstly random veins make the place look too random requiring extra flooring over the veins, and 2, it makes complete sense that you wouldn't leave any adamantium behind when you dig it out.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: [1] 2 3