Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarven Dementia: Non-optimal things you do anyway  (Read 24278 times)

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Dementia: Non-optimal things you do anyway
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2014, 05:31:35 am »

All stone must be removed from a room before it can be used.
I used to do that!
The entire room must be smoothed before it can be used.
And that! Gotta love when your would-be walls are filled with useful ores/gems, making the whole process take even more time.

I use 7x7 rooms for almost anything.

I use 11x11 shift-arrow key movement blocks. I also love octagons and repeating patterns.
Here's a fort I made quite a while back, if you click along it's POI you'll see what I mean.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-29879-sneakpreview
That's really good looking. My fortresses look like an office building full of boring, mostly regular partitions.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2014, 06:21:50 am »

My hammerer gets properly equipped, every time. The first thing I do after my first weaponsmith hits legendary is make a masterwork steel warhammer for him.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2014, 06:55:36 am »

My hammerer gets properly equipped, every time. The first thing I do after my first weaponsmith hits legendary is make a masterwork steel warhammer for him.
Is that on the basis that coffins are easier to maintain than hospitals? :D
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2014, 07:22:40 am »

Once I have an optimized fortress I start to do unneeded projects... however not until I have a stable fortress that can afford to do them. My current fortress is working on a 10 lane minecart system and has two castle wall gates.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Uncertain

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Process & Project
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2014, 09:10:44 am »

My dwarves will go without necessities for years while I painstakingly finalise the perfect design for what could otherwise have been a rectangular room with a few tables and chairs. Here's my latest meeting hall, for example.

I've had my starting seven die of dehydration while I forced them to mine out perfectly symmetrical workshop floors and regal dining rooms to fit four hundred.
The next dwarf grabbed the goblin thief, by the eyeball with his eyeball, (blinding the goblin in the process)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2014, 09:58:05 am »

I build needlessly large dining halls and graveyards, sometimes three or four z's deep, painstakingly laid out tile by tile, with curved areas and ramps crossing above - ramps that will likely never get used. I also like to build towers aboveground, though the usefulness of this has never really been proven. Finally, I'm lazy about the combat system and usually dump all my melee dwarves into three or four large squads regardless of weapon choice, with my marksdwarves in one or two more.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2014, 02:32:18 pm »

I carve out mineral vein/clusters and use them for my hallways and meeting halls, every fortress ends up looking exactly like a cavern and the pathing is always inefficient as hell. But it looks cool. 8)

"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2014, 02:47:52 pm »

I arm my fortress guard competently.  Silver maces mostly.  Beatings are almost as deadly as hammerings, but an unarmed justice system may as well be no justice at all in my opinion.

Though this is as much a custom race flavor thing as anything, I refrain from giving my main military shields, instead opting for 2 handed greatswords and lances.  It's just so much more awesome to imagine one of your dudes cutting down an arrow midflight when they do a weapon deflection and continuing a charge than imagining them carefully moving forward shields up.  Even if the shields are far more protective.

Sentients in cage traps usually get released outside unharmed.  Cage traps are also not used where I expect invaders to go.  I'm after stuff for the zoo and war training pits, goblins don't work in either of those. It's too much of a pain in the butt to make an arena just for the odd goblin wandering into a cage out in the wilderness.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2014, 02:55:14 pm »

Hello!

Mine is that I want to engrave everything, inside and out, with images of the best possible quality, which means smoothing first to train up the skill. This means it takes (occasionally) up to two years to prepare my sluices and cisterns before I can let in water for my well, so during the first winter or two, injured dwarves die of dehydration in the hospital. Also, I hate soil layers.

I am very close to this myself, although I have no preference for the image quality. So, I don't spend time training smoothing, but send them working right away. Still, all walls and floors have to be smoothed and engraved before the room gets furniture (except for store rooms, as heavy objects moving seem to have destroyed engravings in the past). I have the same problem with the well, as I always make it go 2-3 levels down as 1x1 and then have a 5x5 or 7x7 area going down 4 to 6 levels - and all walls are engraved!

Add to this that I set pop cap to 7, so after the initial migrants, I usually have to do with very few dwarves.

Yours,
Deathworks

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2014, 05:29:21 pm »

My dwarves will go without necessities for years while I painstakingly finalise the perfect design for what could otherwise have been a rectangular room with a few tables and chairs. Here's my latest meeting hall, for example.
That looks beautiful.  The shape isn't entirely worthless.  The walls provide more engraving area than just floors (I think?).  Also with no line of site across the hall, someone can die without all your dwarfs getting freaked out at once... and actually those are the only benefits I can think of

I've had my starting seven die of dehydration while I forced them to mine out perfectly symmetrical workshop floors and regal dining rooms to fit four hundred.
Embark with no pets, no anvils, no other misc items just tons of food and drink and 4 picks and an axe.  Set 4 of your dwarf to miners, 1 to mechanic/mason, 1 to mason/architect, and 1 woodcutter/carpenter.  Mine out everything perfectly.  Place every bed, cabinet, and door.  Place your tables and chairs and workshops.  Build a nice tower on the surface if that suits your style.  Live off the food you brought with you until it runs out.  Then abandon and immediately reclaim with a normal embark party (remember to reclaim your workshops).  Now you can proceed to have a normal fort since everything is already mined out perfectly. (Warning: I haven't tested this yet with 40.xx, only on older version)
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

JRHaggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2014, 06:04:32 pm »

I always put off military\metallurgy stuff until my farms, bedrooms, dining halls, workshops, and hospitals are finished or nearly there. It always seems a bother to try to smelt and forge stuff within the first 4 years when there's SO MUCH STUFF TO DO.

This!

I only just built my first hall mister. I've never built a magma forge/smelter. I'm usually busy streamlining stockpiles. "SO MUCH STUFF TO DO."

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2014, 08:35:32 pm »

stuff about water

all that water stuff are are you gilmore

stuff about shields

true but the feel of shield and sword combat is so great in adventure mode i love the felling of blocking an attack with my shield it helps me imagine the next attack quite well and it looks awesome in my mind
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 08:52:53 pm by tuypo1 »
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2014, 09:16:39 pm »

Embark with no pets, no anvils, no other misc items just tons of food and drink and 4 picks and an axe.  Set 4 of your dwarf to miners, 1 to mechanic/mason, 1 to mason/architect, and 1 woodcutter/carpenter.  Mine out everything perfectly.  Place every bed, cabinet, and door.  Place your tables and chairs and workshops.  Build a nice tower on the surface if that suits your style.  Live off the food you brought with you until it runs out.  Then abandon and immediately reclaim with a normal embark party (remember to reclaim your workshops).  Now you can proceed to have a normal fort since everything is already mined out perfectly. (Warning: I haven't tested this yet with 40.xx, only on older version)

If you don't finish it the first time, just send another party like the first to finish it. Also, if you don't feel like having corpses and items scattered everywhere, just dump all unneeded dwarves, pets and excess items into magma once you're done building/about to run out of food/drink.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Celarious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2014, 11:23:01 pm »

I have a habit of putting many, MANY chairs and tables in dining halls, and making dining halls EXTREMELY large. I seem to hate it when the total amount of dwarves in my fort take up half of the space in the dining room (or more), and so I keep extending it to be bigger, even though I don't need to since it's already classified as "Legendary" in my dwarves' thoughts.

I also put all of my levers in there which is a bad idea, but I actually haven't had anything bad happen because of that yet. Mainly because I forget to connect the levers.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2014, 01:03:36 am »

I have a habit of putting many, MANY chairs and tables in dining halls, and making dining halls EXTREMELY large. I seem to hate it when the total amount of dwarves in my fort take up half of the space in the dining room (or more), and so I keep extending it to be bigger, even though I don't need to since it's already classified as "Legendary" in my dwarves' thoughts.

I also put all of my levers in there which is a bad idea, but I actually haven't had anything bad happen because of that yet. Mainly because I forget to connect the levers.

That might be a good place sure it's where the dwarves spend all there time but dwarfs there are the least likely to tantrum because the rooms so good
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11