Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 357610 times)

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #525 on: September 27, 2014, 08:43:11 pm »

As mentioned, if you've got a working demo in your hands TB would be the guy you would be needing to talk to.
also smaller youtubers are very relevant as they cherish every opportunity given to them and will praise the crap out of your game given the chance.
you'll see that once one person posts a "let's play" it spreads like wildfire

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 27, 2014, 08:45:47 pm »

Especially when people cant get the game themselves but seem pretty pumped for it...you would be better off doing some exclusive pre demo stuff for streamers...

Give a streamer the game a week before everyone else and you have a LOT more poeple looking into it and what not...do the demo first and you are more likely to lose a bit of edge since people would be less interested to tune in to that particular stream...regardless...pretty win win

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 27, 2014, 09:55:54 pm »

This game... It may not be out of development yet, but it's managed to get me sufficiently interested. I might have to donate here soon... Which is a very rare thing that I don't do often, but quite frankly I like the direction you're taking things.

Best of luck to ye!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 28, 2014, 12:44:36 am »

Kicktraq has this trending for 80k minimum

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 28, 2014, 12:48:46 am »

101k actually, even better!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ERICdb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 28, 2014, 04:53:10 am »

Kicktraq: 80-100K
Kickspy: 56K

But even if we suppose that the rest of the crowdfunding goes really bad, let's say... 500/day x 24days= 12k. Total: 12+23=35k. Rival Old Ones mode activated.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 05:12:13 am by ERICdb »

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 28, 2014, 05:25:12 am »

What is Azlans special purpose compared to the other old ones? Does he take after Cthulhu in that he focuses on causing panic and sending heroes and populations insane or does he have something deeper then that?

Also, if the Rival stretch goal were to be reached, how powerful would these rivals be in relation to you? Would they be able to do everything you can and practically act like an NPC Old One, or are they more like "regional" terrors that are as much a hazard to you as they are to the world?

Demiurge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 28, 2014, 05:44:13 am »

What is Azlans special purpose compared to the other old ones? Does he take after Cthulhu in that he focuses on causing panic and sending heroes and populations insane or does he have something deeper then that?

Also, if the Rival stretch goal were to be reached, how powerful would these rivals be in relation to you? Would they be able to do everything you can and practically act like an NPC Old One, or are they more like "regional" terrors that are as much a hazard to you as they are to the world?

Azlan gets a total of 15 power orbs by the endgame, that seems pretty huge considering that most of the gods get between 4 and 10. He also has abilities that hide him and mess with peoples heads and dreams so he seems to be an advanced stealth manipulator god who doesn't want to go overt at any time. Plus once he hits 15 orbs he straight up wins the game. We don't know what his later abilities do but a lot of infiltration rituals, such as doppelgangers, use a lot of power so he can leverage a ton of magic around the world through empowered agents.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 28, 2014, 06:07:59 am »

Careful with spymaster concepts. They rarely tend to work out.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 28, 2014, 07:30:15 am »

Wait a minute. Does this mean Old Ones have worshippers?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 28, 2014, 09:29:53 am »

Kicktraq: 80-100K
Kickspy: 56K

But even if we suppose that the rest of the crowdfunding goes really bad, let's say... 500/day x 24days= 12k. Total: 12+23=35k. Rival Old Ones mode activated.

I'm sure this has already been posted here or elsewhere, but.
To me 500$/day doesn't sound "really bad" when I think about this particular game, but I haven't been keeping up with kickstarters in a while now so I don't know if there's a reliable trend I'm missing.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #536 on: September 28, 2014, 12:16:11 pm »

Azlan gets a total of 15 power orbs by the endgame, that seems pretty huge considering that most of the gods get between 4 and 10. He also has abilities that hide him and mess with peoples heads and dreams so he seems to be an advanced stealth manipulator god who doesn't want to go overt at any time. Plus once he hits 15 orbs he straight up wins the game. We don't know what his later abilities do but a lot of infiltration rituals, such as doppelgangers, use a lot of power so he can leverage a ton of magic around the world through empowered agents.

Azlan's core ability is that he can mark X number (more orbs the more he can do concurrently) of people and slowly alter their personality and traits - it is one of best ways to push the world in the direction you want but is compensated for by the lack of other direct powers that other Old Ones may have. 

RE: Spymaster concepts - Azlan is a lot of fun to play, but I think it's because you are less a spymaster than a pupper master - pulling at the strings of the world.  Do you have a few examples of failed spymasters types I could look at?

Old Ones themselves do NOT get worshipers, it is the religions of the world that get worshipers... but you can be the power behind the religion and essentially usurp the place of the God/Concept they were worshiping.

Rival Old Ones introduces three types of challenge
1) True Old Ones like yourself, these rise in the same as you and seek to manipulate the world via the same mechanics.  You'll find yourself needing to identify who they are, figure out their goal, and then deal with them.  Otherwise your war in the shadows gets a lot more cluttered.

2) Lesser Old Ones who have remained in the world, these great beings were never sealed away, and have created empires in the world for themselves.  They function like normal nations but with a greater connection to ancient powers. 

3) Ancient Creatures of Lesser Power - these are introduced through events, but also move through the world similar to heroes.  They are ancient beings who never quite ascended to the ranks of power you have, they may serve you, or they may wish to usurp your position.  Dealing with them is essential but complex.

So you have your "peer" element that will use the same mechanics as you, this is the most complex part of the game for us to deal with - principally from an AI perspective.  Then you have nations that are run by Great Evils, and these lesser creatures that wander the world pursuing their agenda. 

These elements are subject to change based on testing.

On funding trends - I hear they're all garbage, but from the metrics and postmortems I've read it isn't rare to raise 50-100% of what you raised the first week in the last week, while the middle two weeks are generally a slow trickle.   I'm ECSTATIC that Gods are back in, such a good mechanic, but of course I look forward to the other stretch goals as well. 

If it looks like we are going to reach Procedural Generation we will be able to rebuild the map, that is going to be an interesting collaborative process - I'll probably reach out to all the backers with sample styles and we'll settle on what we want our artist to create.
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

ERICdb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 28, 2014, 12:22:48 pm »

I'm sure this has already been posted here or elsewhere, but.
To me 500$/day doesn't sound "really bad" when I think about this particular game, but I haven't been keeping up with kickstarters in a while now so I don't know if there's a reliable trend I'm missing.

What I've done is compare the TWS's KK with the Reassembly one. They are both games made by 1-2 people and more or less at the same time, although the later has a goal 2-3 times as much bigger and has a demo where you can craft some ships and see them fight with the IA. Since Reassembly will barely reach it's goal (if it does) I've though that it could be used as an example of a "bad" outcome for our own case, having in consideration that we've already reached some stretch goals and that that should be a positive factor. Then, knowing this, I've just looked at the bad days of their kickstarter and it seems something around 300-500. So, pretending we have bad luck and neither youtubers make videos with the expected demo or another big site such Kotaku makes us the day, we could say we can reach the aforementioned digit without excessive problems.

I'm just using my intuition so don't give it much credibility. Anyway, I think its interesting to make predictions. :P
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 12:31:01 pm by ERICdb »

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 28, 2014, 12:25:45 pm »

So would category 3 be creatures similar to the Baron?
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #539 on: September 28, 2014, 12:27:53 pm »

So would category 3 be creatures similar to the Baron?

That's a pretty good analogy for power and ability to affect the world, but the AI would be radically different.
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 210