Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358675 times)

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #720 on: October 09, 2014, 11:50:44 am »

Probably the costs associated with it, fluffwise anyways.  Champions represent the realm in question and are likely to gain a lot of support of all types from the nation they represent.  Having more then 1 may be costly and egos of multiple champions may clash, even as far going out of their way to deny help to each other, all the while flittering the resources of the realm to accomplish that.  /fluff
Maybe champions are a factor in AI threat assessment. A small nation with several is potentially as scary as the mid-sized one with a decent army.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #721 on: October 09, 2014, 01:27:03 pm »

Is it possible for there to be multiple Champions per nation? If so, do they form one single "squad" (party) or act independently depending on the situation?

There is no limit to the number of Champions a nation can have, but outside of the Knight class (a mid tier fighter class that requires sponsorship by a nation) heroes do not often become Champions of a nation.  If a sufficiently large threat emerged they may form a Party but in general they act independently to efficiently put down threats and help bolster the nation depending on their class.

Is there a cost to having/creating Champions? Why wouldn't a nation sponsor several?

There is a cost to the nation, but it more comes down to "creation."  Nations don't build Champions like you would in a strategy game, they begin the game with some of these Champions who represent the talented veterans that have been a part of the state for years, and only gain more through either a) recruiting a Hero to be their Champion or b) rare events that bring into being a Champion from the background of the country. 

Hero's won't simply accept an offer, many of them have no desire to become pawns of a King - though certain adventurer friendly countries may find it easier to recruit from the heroes that wander through their lands.  It also comes down to the Leader AI, some will want to recruit as many Champions as possible but others will rely on institutional actions to further their agenda.
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: October 10, 2014, 12:42:25 am »

So if the procedural generation manages to get him, are the maps going to have the same aesthetics as the ones you have now or are you planning some other look? Can you also change the actual look of the map in the game, such as covering everything in snow or raising sea levels, rather then have it represented by some POI status effect?

Also, are there any pirate/warlord government types somewhere, that while technically part of the civilized world, are so aggressive in their social norms that they might as well be one of the "red" nations?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:20:15 am by Jalak »

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: October 10, 2014, 02:59:09 am »

So if the procedural generation manages to get him, are the maps going to have the same aesthetics as the ones you have now or are you planning some other look? Can you also change the actual look of the map in the game, such as covering everything in snow or raising sea levels, rather then have it represented by some POI status effect?

Also, are there any pirate/warlord government types somewhere, that while technically part of the civilized world, are so aggressive in their social norms that they might as well be one of the "red" nations?

That could lead to some really amazing Ancient Ones (or even Rival Ancient Ones). I can imagine an old Ice God trying to start the next Ice Age, or some other god who wants to drown the entire world. The Ice Age would first start with lots of failed harvests and starvation, whilst the flooding one would be able to destroy coastal POIs. Even if the map doesn't change you might be able to do something with the particle effects by overlaying a rather large white/blue layer and mark the POI as destroyed.
Pirates (and bandits) would indeed be a nice faction to see. They could easily mess up trade which is a good thing as I understand it.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #724 on: October 10, 2014, 02:34:33 pm »

We're going to stretch the budget as far as it will go - the Aesthetic will be MUCH darker in tone, and as it will be tiled we will be able to alter the terrain (which brings me GREAT JOY).  Not only will this, as you say, clean up the POI status effects it also let's show the "state of the world" at a glance much better.  Never really thought we'd hit this goal, we are lining up artists to make sample tiles. Plan is to get them to the Beta Backers by the end of the first month after KS and get some review feedback. 

The difficulty is that now we are going "backwards", originally we were designing the units, heroes, and agents to conform to the Map we had - now we will be targeting map enhancements first and foremost then moving back to the actual map assets.  This won't push back our release because we will be continuing with development, but it does mean that the Beta release may not yet have the updated assets because we need to fully test the new map itself before commissioning the map assets.

The personality of a leader, or the personality of the culture, can be so extreme that they are terrible warmongers.  The Arden Protectorate in the North Burns is ruled with an iron fist by a glory seeking warlord, who holds back only on his rational quality.  In the Black Seas their is a human "civilized" nation that is all about raiding, the cultural values of its people ignore almost any other quality except valor in battle and plunder.   

That could lead to some really amazing Ancient Ones (or even Rival Ancient Ones). I can imagine an old Ice God trying to start the next Ice Age, or some other god who wants to drown the entire world. The Ice Age would first start with lots of failed harvests and starvation, whilst the flooding one would be able to destroy coastal POIs. Even if the map doesn't change you might be able to do something with the particle effects by overlaying a rather large white/blue layer and mark the POI as destroyed.
Pirates (and bandits) would indeed be a nice faction to see. They could easily mess up trade which is a good thing as I understand it.

Yep, WAY backin the day we had this awesome algorithm to make geological effects on a procedural map - unfortunately the map itself was too "abstract" to have units on it without it looking ridiculous.  We had an Ice God who was intent on covering the world in a climate more fitting for his children - with this change happening I am going to see if we can squeeze him back in. 

Pirates and Bandits exist, but not as factions - they appear as modifiers on a POI and need to be quested against by heroes or hunted down by armies to leave.  You (or another nation) can commission them, or they may randomly appear.  If they persist they can rise in difficulty, going from being a minor nuisance to actually destroying a village.
That Which Sleeps

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: October 10, 2014, 02:57:26 pm »

Can they, instead of destroying a village take it over?  Doesn't make sense for them to completely destroy their source of loot.  But then, their actions will probably leech the life out of a village enough to end up destroying it I guess.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: October 10, 2014, 03:42:58 pm »

Depends on what kinds of interactions the pirates have. For instance, I've been reading a history of South Carolina (my home state, USA) and early on the port of Charleston found them a great source of trade and spending money. They got push out as legitimate commerce grew. Later still, the relationship became hostile.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #727 on: October 10, 2014, 05:01:03 pm »

Can they, instead of destroying a village take it over?  Doesn't make sense for them to completely destroy their source of loot.  But then, their actions will probably leech the life out of a village enough to end up destroying it I guess.

It depends on the particular modifier - some of them end up at an ultimate state of occupying it without the possession changing while others can actually start a new nation.  The most common, however, simply grinds the village slowly to death.
That Which Sleeps

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: October 10, 2014, 05:19:17 pm »

I just remembered that you said that "black" classes would be put in if the old one stretch goal was made. So, are the plans for that still on and what examples are there?

Also, are there any plans for an official scenario to represent a late roman-era timeline, by that I mean a massive empire that stretches over half the map with various cultural and economical tensions with a hostile collection of tribes migrating in?

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #729 on: October 10, 2014, 05:28:01 pm »

I just remembered that you said that "black" classes would be put in if the old one stretch goal was made. So, are the plans for that still on and what examples are there?

Also, are there any plans for an official scenario to represent a late roman-era timeline, by that I mean a massive empire that stretches over half the map with various cultural and economical tensions with a hostile collection of tribes migrating in?

Oh there's a few but we're going to have to balance them and cut a bunch - we had a long list of potential ideas so we're going to have to bring it down to the base classes plus possibly a major variant per race.  I don't quite feel comfortable announcing any because based on how the expansions play out we may swap them, but you'll have the standard archetypes of the Fallen Paladin, the Priest who Turns Against his Faith, and the Wizard who sells his soul for power.  We have to carefully weigh them against the Lesser Evils, who are fulfilling something of a similar role.

Yes, we are still testing the mechanics of Empires and Provinces but given the amount of effort we are putting in (and the fantastic situations that are emerging from it) it will appear in some form or another.  What is still up for debate is if we go ahead and make it a low-fantasy roman simulation or simply use the roman empire as an inspiration for a more traditional fantasy setup.
That Which Sleeps

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: October 10, 2014, 08:29:06 pm »

How... how have I missed this for so long? Posting to watch with the fury of a thousand deposed sun-gods...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #731 on: October 11, 2014, 04:26:03 pm »

We just got greenlit, awesome landmark to breach.  GoG has not responded to us yet after two attempts to reach out, but possibly with a Steam entry they'll be a little more responsive. 
That Which Sleeps

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: October 12, 2014, 12:48:57 am »

Where the hell are these bursts of backers coming from? From what you were saying before, I thought that there was hardly any media for this.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: October 12, 2014, 01:29:04 am »

Where the hell are these bursts of backers coming from? From what you were saying before, I thought that there was hardly any media for this.
Well that last burst was probably from the greenlit happening, which's timing probably couldn't have been better.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: October 12, 2014, 01:31:52 am »

Belial did it
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 210