Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358704 times)

Rutee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting! 21 hours!
« Reply #975 on: October 22, 2014, 06:05:34 am »

I see where you are coming from, it may make sense to tie this to an imbue on an Agent if we decide to give a thematic bonus.
I'm glad it didn't come out as jibber jabber!  Full disclosure, I really care so I can vote for Moloch and still see some support for abilities influencing religions.  At least one of the GOOs I want to mod in would really want a religion.  Though it's a mystery whether I'll really be able to make her without Tzadar in (I finally remembered his name X3).  But even without that, it would legit feel really weird if Aspects that were similar to your god were not things your god were better at manipulating, either metaphysically (For the win-via-godhood) or more viscerally in terms of their followers.

So, I remembered some of the other stuff you said about religion.  What does religion actually do for you, aside from serve as a flashpoint for conflict or wake up Tzadar?  Using Karth as an example, it occurs to me that there's really no point in getting the orcs all religious; they already <3 you.  Them worshipping you doesn't give you power, since it isn't Dominions, and they're not some sort of window or backdoor into another God somehow, I'm guessing (Since they weren't worshipping anyone else; I imagine other religions are this).  Much like with, say, lumber or food, I can definitely see plausible uses.  Corruption through followers seems easy, for instance.  Using them to stir up conflicts is another.  But what else is the sort of thing we can do with them?

POIs, Heroes, Nations, Kings have history panels that should suffice for this - they're rather bland right now (just dumps of text) but we will probably group them up by age and highlight the most important events.
:D
I always love clicking on the history of provinces I've captured some time into the game in EU4.

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: October 22, 2014, 06:23:47 am »

So the kickstarter comes to a close in six hours and the new stretch goal is just out of reach. How important is that last $2,000? I'm fine without those culture graphics, but can we see the ascended option added in anyway?

6 hours left and 85000-82991(Kickstarter)-700(Paypal)= 1309$ to go. That seems pretty doable considering the speed at which we've been going.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #977 on: October 22, 2014, 06:35:34 am »

So the kickstarter comes to a close in six hours and the new stretch goal is just out of reach. How important is that last $2,000? I'm fine without those culture graphics, but can we see the ascended option added in anyway?

The Ascended is a LOT of work, we'd be more likely to let a culture in then commit to the Ascended.  Though he is pretty great, so you may see him down the road.

I see where you are coming from, it may make sense to tie this to an imbue on an Agent if we decide to give a thematic bonus.
I'm glad it didn't come out as jibber jabber!  Full disclosure, I really care so I can vote for Moloch and still see some support for abilities influencing religions.  At least one of the GOOs I want to mod in would really want a religion.  Though it's a mystery whether I'll really be able to make her without Tzadar in (I finally remembered his name X3).  But even without that, it would legit feel really weird if Aspects that were similar to your god were not things your god were better at manipulating, either metaphysically (For the win-via-godhood) or more viscerally in terms of their followers.

So, I remembered some of the other stuff you said about religion.  What does religion actually do for you, aside from serve as a flashpoint for conflict or wake up Tzadar?  Using Karth as an example, it occurs to me that there's really no point in getting the orcs all religious; they already <3 you.  Them worshipping you doesn't give you power, since it isn't Dominions, and they're not some sort of window or backdoor into another God somehow, I'm guessing (Since they weren't worshipping anyone else; I imagine other religions are this).  Much like with, say, lumber or food, I can definitely see plausible uses.  Corruption through followers seems easy, for instance.  Using them to stir up conflicts is another.  But what else is the sort of thing we can do with them?

POIs, Heroes, Nations, Kings have history panels that should suffice for this - they're rather bland right now (just dumps of text) but we will probably group them up by age and highlight the most important events.
:D
I always love clicking on the history of provinces I've captured some time into the game in EU4.

Yeah I love that historic narrative, and it gets so much weirder in a game like That Which Sleeps ('Shady Glen was ravaged by Deep Ones in 205.1').

So Religions play two parts in the game, one is the "Hearts and Minds" element of cultures - people who are very religious will likely do what the head of their Religion says - in this sense they function much like a guild but with a much larger basis.  On the other hand their are the Gods themselves, some of whom will meddle in the world at their leisure others who will simply ignore their followers pleas - Gods can be spend their faith (accumulated by their aspect - so wars breed faith for the war god) for miracles in the world, which can help or hinder your progress.  You can also attempt to battle the Gods in their own realm, but you'll need to "sacrifice" some of your Ancient Power to do this, and you may never recover it.  The lower the God's faith, the easier it is to usurp his position - and disrupting his affairs on the mortal plane will lower his defense even further. 

Follower's of a faith, as a populace, can be pulled in cultural directions ( change a cultural personality ), can be called to crusade, can lynch people, can riot, can be used as a sacrifice - lots of fun options when you need a massive amount of people.  You can also gain sway over the Heroes that call that religion their own, and have them turn against friends or challenge their morality.

6 hours left and 85000-82991(Kickstarter)-700(Paypal)= 1309$ to go. That seems pretty doable considering the speed at which we've been going.

I have faith
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #978 on: October 22, 2014, 06:38:58 am »

Backed. I don't have time to go through whole thread right now (dammit you lot, 66 pages!) but I'll just say that I really like the idea this game has. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: October 22, 2014, 06:52:20 am »

Pledged as well. It's my first project ever to pledge towards, even though I've been following countless projects. See that as a compliment towards the game and your attitude KDG! :D

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #980 on: October 22, 2014, 07:19:49 am »

Backed. I don't have time to go through whole thread right now (dammit you lot, 66 pages!) but I'll just say that I really like the idea this game has. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Pledged as well. It's my first project ever to pledge towards, even though I've been following countless projects. See that as a compliment towards the game and your attitude KDG! :D

Thanks both of you!  Can't believe how much quality we're going to be able to add to this game thanks to how successful the Kickstarter has been.
That Which Sleeps

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting! 5 hours!
« Reply #981 on: October 22, 2014, 07:33:01 am »

As I remember you can usurp aspects of a god and gain power from those things, so as the orc GOO you can steal the link between conflict and power while a war god is weak then send your orc hordes rampaging through the countryside to capitalise on that link? Something like that?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: October 22, 2014, 07:39:04 am »

I do like that you made sure that not all the old ones are like Lovecraftian ones with some that differ quite a bit.

Some having a Abrahamic theme and some having somewhat of an Aztec one.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #983 on: October 22, 2014, 08:20:40 am »

As I remember you can usurp aspects of a god and gain power from those things, so as the orc GOO you can steal the link between conflict and power while a war god is weak then send your orc hordes rampaging through the countryside to capitalise on that link? Something like that?

Exactly, you need to create the opportunity to usurp a God's aspect - but the God's, like mortals, have personalities that you need to manipulate.  God's desperate to protect their flock will deplete their faith quickly if they see their worshipers threatened, but a more apathetic God would need to be manipulated through other means.

I do like that you made sure that not all the old ones are like Lovecraftian ones with some that differ quite a bit.

Some having a Abrahamic theme and some having somewhat of an Aztec one.

When we decided on That Which Sleeps mechanical approach, we realized it was unique enough that it made sense to simply draw on as many inspirations as possible to maximize the simulation possibilities instead of going for a single theme.  By using these recognizable but still different archetypes player's can jump in and understand the idea behind the Old One (and the races/cultures/etc) without us having to overwhelm with custom world building.
That Which Sleeps

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: October 22, 2014, 08:52:08 am »

KDG, would it be possible to upgrade my Paypal pledge from Beta tier to Worlbuilder tier by donating another 50$. Just in case the final stretchgoal seems just out of reach?

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: October 22, 2014, 09:23:50 am »

Last goal achieved! counting the 800$ of paypal donations.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #986 on: October 22, 2014, 09:27:02 am »

Hype intensifies?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: October 22, 2014, 09:51:23 am »

We've made it. Considering the Kickstarter isn't done yey I think there's plenty of time for more stretch goals  :P

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: October 22, 2014, 09:56:16 am »

Yeah, seems like SEVEN TIMES the starting goal was a pretty successful KS. Congratulations to you guys! I will eagerly await my release-day purchase. :P
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #989 on: October 22, 2014, 09:57:53 am »

KDG, would it be possible to upgrade my Paypal pledge from Beta tier to Worlbuilder tier by donating another 50$. Just in case the final stretchgoal seems just out of reach?

Absolutely, you can wait and do it up until the beta if you'd like.
That Which Sleeps
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 210