Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358762 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #1515 on: September 18, 2015, 10:31:35 am »

Well, it always puzzles me of their decision to release the tools first without a beta to playtest the mod.

Yes... TBH I dont understand it. At first I thought I was misunderstanding the matter.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: September 18, 2015, 03:02:02 pm »

Wait, something actually got released? What was it and what's wrong with it/missing?

Or are you just talking about the fancy-asset-viewer thingy that was supposed to be the initial mod tool release?
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: September 18, 2015, 07:01:15 pm »

I think the reason the mod tools are being released first is it's what they're using to actually build the core game content.  Same with stuff like Warcraft 3's world editor.

There are continued crashes so I guess to tide us over they released a thing, not sure what to call it.  All it contains is minion editing with five or six minions and a few skills and traits as samples.  Nothing has any descriptive text, it's not clear what anything does.

It's very disappointing that two weeks ago they were saying the mod tools were done, then today we get this.  I honestly don't care anymore.  I'll pay enough attention to know when (if?) something substantial comes out but I've been burned too many times.
Shoes...

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: September 19, 2015, 12:50:46 am »

...really? That's sad. I don't have beta access, so it's not a big deal to me, but I've been keeping an eye on theod tools release as it's the first major release they'll have, and a good indicator on how things are going. This doesn't inspire much confidence...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: September 19, 2015, 02:19:01 am »

One thing that worried me is that as time went by, they kept releasing updates about the future game content which, while superficially cool, made me very confused as to how would the game actually play... I'm not sure there's actually something operative in the works...

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: September 19, 2015, 09:36:27 am »

What do you mean?  I thought the basic gameplay makes sense, though maybe there's stuff I'm getting as a beta backer that fills holes in their description.

My main worry is the sheer volume of things you can do won't lead to a cohesive and interesting game experience or, like I mentioned above, it won't be fun.  There's lots of examples of system-based sandboxes that just aren't as engaging as linear scripted games. 
Shoes...

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: September 21, 2015, 11:50:51 pm »

For those who haven't/can't see the new update, the new schedule is:

Finish up mod tools (moved back into no date given territory, at least from what I can see as a $10 backer)

Release gameplay videos.

Release beta (with AI adjustments to come during beta, instead of before)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1522 on: September 22, 2015, 04:07:33 pm »

Release gameplay videos.
Yay! I was sad when they stopped the gameplay videos.

I don't much care about the rest personally but at least this shows some progress.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: September 23, 2015, 09:56:35 am »

I'm worried, I mean the beta could be everything or nothing, total disapointment or glorious start of beta heaven (like DF; Prison Archtitect etc)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: September 23, 2015, 09:59:35 am »

My prediction is it will be fairly rocky. There's a lot of AI behavior and interactions to troubleshoot. How to know when the AI is misbehaving, as well? That will be tough to sort out as players since so much crap happens behind the scenes. Did that Elven King end up with a legion of loyal orc warriors because of a bug, or because of some seekrit interaction?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: September 23, 2015, 01:24:53 pm »

It also may be very easy.

Most of the work that's been going on for the past six months or so has been revising the data structures to make room for the new content enabled by the stretch goals to allow them to remain system-driven and organic (rather than grafting ad-hoc solutions onto the code which would inevitably feel awkward and scripted), and then importing all of the data back into the new system.

THey're almost done with that but they've decided to hold off on doing the remaining AI interactions until after the beta's been released.  Most of that concerns how the alliance behaves in the very late game, which means the game will probably be really easy as the alliance fails to take certain actions or respond effectively to some threats.

It will probably be rocky.  The beta will include a debug old one with abilities like infinite infiltration and the like to better observe AI behavior so it shouldn't be too hard to notice strangeness.
Shoes...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: September 30, 2015, 03:56:03 pm »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: September 30, 2015, 05:10:56 pm »

uhhh fancy...okay im back on the hypetrain.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: September 30, 2015, 05:30:54 pm »

I'm hyped but this feels a little rushed.  There's missing information that would be needed.
Shoes...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: September 30, 2015, 05:33:05 pm »

uhhh fancy...okay im back on the hypetrain.

I'm hyped but this feels a little rushed.  There's missing information that would be needed.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 210