Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 357579 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #1635 on: November 04, 2015, 11:27:56 am »

I don't think its ever expressively mentioned why he's currently asleep.

Well... it is, after a fashion, in Call of Cthulhu. Part II is Lovecraft at his best, IMO.

These Great Old Ones, Castro continued, were not composed altogether of flesh and blood. They had shape—for did not this star-fashioned image prove it?—but that shape was not made of matter. When the stars were right, They could plunge from world to world through the sky; but when the stars were wrong, They could not live. But although They no longer lived, They would never really die. They all lay in stone houses in Their great city of R'lyeh, preserved by the spells of mighty Cthulhu for a glorious resurrection when the stars and the earth might once more be ready for Them.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: November 04, 2015, 08:56:24 pm »

I don't think its ever expressively mentioned why he's currently asleep.

Well... it is, after a fashion, in Call of Cthulhu. Part II is Lovecraft at his best, IMO.

These Great Old Ones, Castro continued, were not composed altogether of flesh and blood. They had shape—for did not this star-fashioned image prove it?—but that shape was not made of matter. When the stars were right, They could plunge from world to world through the sky; but when the stars were wrong, They could not live. But although They no longer lived, They would never really die. They all lay in stone houses in Their great city of R'lyeh, preserved by the spells of mighty Cthulhu for a glorious resurrection when the stars and the earth might once more be ready for Them.

There's also the deuterocanonical explanation in many non-Lovecraft Cthulhu mythos novels (such as Lurker at the Threshold that he was imprisoned and/or cursed by a rival group of cosmic beings
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: November 04, 2015, 09:02:20 pm »

Besides "Stars are not right" and "Stars are right" basically means "Things haven't come into place" and "Things have come into place" rather then literally meaning that Cthulhu lives and dies according to the movement of the stars themselves.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: November 04, 2015, 11:13:27 pm »

Besides "Stars are not right" and "Stars are right" basically means "Things haven't come into place" and "Things have come into place" rather then literally meaning that Cthulhu lives and dies according to the movement of the stars themselves.

I'd argue the quote posted by Bohandas:

Strongly suggests that it is not the idiomatic "things coming into place", but a very literal  case of Cthulhu basically being dead without being properly dead when the stars are normal and a transplanar awakened god-being "plung[ing] from world to world through the sky" when they are "Right", neither of which is entirely the case in CoC.

I definitely see "the stars are right" as a very specific apocalyptic event in the Lovecraft universe, a literal astral alignment that awakens Cthulhu and his fellow star-spawn, rather than an idiom for "when the time is right".
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 11:17:42 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: November 05, 2015, 07:23:08 am »

I'd argue the quote posted by Bohandas:

Strongly suggests that it is not the idiomatic "things coming into place", but a very literal  case of Cthulhu basically being dead without being properly dead when the stars are normal and a transplanar awakened god-being "plung[ing] from world to world through the sky" when they are "Right", neither of which is entirely the case in CoC.

I definitely see "the stars are right" as a very specific apocalyptic event in the Lovecraft universe, a literal astral alignment that awakens Cthulhu and his fellow star-spawn, rather than an idiom for "when the time is right".

I think the distinction between these two positions practically comes down to: can humans do anything to affect Cthulhu returning? And I'd argue that given Lovecraft's treatment of the Old Ones, while never stated directly, the answer to that question is likely intended to be "no".

And, boy, we're staying off-topic...

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: November 05, 2015, 07:34:20 am »

Well, we are waiting for the stars to be right for That which sleeps to be released. The debate is whether this is humanly possible or something where we are just victims to the whims of cosmic forces we can never hope to understand.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: November 05, 2015, 08:46:22 am »

In develop'lyeh, That Which Sleeps waits dreaming.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: November 09, 2015, 07:42:07 am »

Quote from: Josh
I took a few days "off" last week, but it being hard to detach myself from That Which Sleeps especially at this point I spent much of that time doing a rework of the planes interface, adding a much more extensive interface to the Crystal Cathedral and Court for Seraph, and creating many more specific tooltips to break out from the main generic type, mainly the break was to keep me from staring at code and bug hunting all day - Beta progress is still going well and though we aren't quite ready to put the firm date on it we're almost there.

Video 2 and 3 are up for this week and next respectively.

Little news this week, here's hoping the video will actually be here this time.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: November 20, 2015, 06:45:34 pm »

Is it alive? Is it dead?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: November 20, 2015, 06:51:04 pm »

Is it alive? Is it dead?

Sleeping means dead.

But the reason it is referred to as sleeping is because... Being dead isn't as fatal as it is for great old ones... and they can be quite active in their corpse state.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: November 20, 2015, 07:13:57 pm »

i meant the game...but at this point it seems like it doesn't matter anymore.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: November 20, 2015, 07:33:14 pm »

We can only wait.

I used to be able to peek at the backer section of the forums and see if something is going on development-wise, but it looks they fixed that. D:
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: November 20, 2015, 10:21:37 pm »

Nothing new to report. We haven't heard From Josh or Fenicks since Monday. We'll pass on the next justification/excuse once we have it. 
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1648 on: November 20, 2015, 10:31:07 pm »

You guys are brutal. Devs haven't communicated since Monday, game must be dead!

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: November 20, 2015, 10:45:45 pm »

I don't actually think it's dead. Honestly, I think it's coming along reasonably well. I'm just tired of missed deadline after missed deadline, and it's made me cynical
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 210