Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358712 times)

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #2625 on: March 20, 2017, 11:21:43 am »

Steering clear of the argument about his motivations (which doesn't really matter to me).

At this point, I wish Paradox would take the general concept behind this game (slowly awakening ancient evil trying to bring about the apocalypse), and make a game using the CKII engine --- the character AI for all the people in the game would basically already be programmed, and they'd just have to make a system where you could manipulate the characters with magic (and simulate the "slowly awakening" aspect of the game). They could actually make a really fun game, and it would be way easier than starting from scratch.

Probably won't happen though. Ah well.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: March 20, 2017, 12:49:25 pm »

Hell, if anyone capable picks up the concept and does something with it, I'd be pretty happy. At this point it seems anyone is more capable of doing this than KDG.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: March 20, 2017, 03:17:05 pm »

I'm actually curious as to why no one has taken this concept yet?
Aside from the whole AI being dynamic and non linear.. it's a pretty straight forward concept.

I suppose the entire concept might only a appeal to a smaller demo-graph of gamers though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: March 20, 2017, 04:56:55 pm »

Yeah, I've often wanted more games played from the bad guy's perspective. Unfortunately most games tend to take an overly cartoony focus with it, I guess to soften the blow of actually being evil.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: March 23, 2017, 11:04:46 am »

Update on my complaint with the Trades Bureau.

Joshua now has 22 days to provide concrete proof and evidence of a product beyond simple screenshots.
Should myself or others feel unsatisfied at the state of development after 22days he's supposedly going to be forced to offer refunds in mass.

I asked the agent on the phone and he couldn't give me specifics due to privacy, but said there are over 50+ complaints filed regarding King Dinosaur Games as well as Joshua being connected to ANOTHER case that is pending investigations as well.

The agent even agreed that this is looking more and more like an organized Scam with nothing more than artist being paid to give off a fake impression of a product.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: March 24, 2017, 01:04:18 pm »

50 complaints from backers out of 4689 backers is about 1%, which isn't that large relatively speaking, though interesting, and it's hard to say whether that's a lot or a little because I don't know counts on other Kickstarters in similar situations. That doesn't take the plus into account, but it also doesn't take the (unspecified) number of paypal backers into account as well, so I'm just going to say those cancel each other out.

I think I'm more interested in the other case... what could that possibly be? How does the Trades Bureau determine cases? Would the Kickstarter funds be one case, and the PayPal backers be a separate, distinct, case? That doesn't seem immediately unreasonable.

It still just seems like *so much* effort to be put into a scam, though.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: March 24, 2017, 01:52:11 pm »

A business failing is not the same as a scam. He's already provided more than just artwork with the scenario editor and the burden of proof is going to be so, so low, I'd judge he could just turn in that as proof.

I imagine he does probably have more than that though. As Xgamer4 said, it's so, so much effort for a scam - and there'd be no point in him continuing to this degree if it was just an organised scam. There's probably not a great deal there, but enough to prove that he had every intention of continuing development.

That's not to say he won't be made to give you a refund, just that to prove it's a scam they've got to prove he's done literally no development, which isn't the case.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: March 24, 2017, 05:40:05 pm »

You know, I started wondering recently whether his last post was precisedly because he received a letter demanding proof or providing reimbursement, and that he doesn't actually have jackshit.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: March 24, 2017, 06:25:25 pm »

You know, I started wondering recently whether his last post was precisedly because he received a letter demanding proof or providing reimbursement, and that he doesn't actually have jackshit.

Someone mentioned that on the Kickstarter as well. I don't really have a good response to it, other than putting it up really only feeds us. Proof for a third party (the Trades Bureau, for instance) is likely to happen separately and discretely.

The other thing is that I kinda feel like a lot of people jumping onto the "it's a scam!" thing don't really have a full grasp of the timeline and challenges. The game started gaining notice in August of 2014 (at the latest - that's the creation of this topic, *after* lots of attention on indiedb and tigsource), and by that time there were screenshots, corroborated pieces of news, massive QAs with Josh, and other piles of evidence that suggest, at the very least, a stuffed design document and concept art. Given that Josh is a developer and Joe is not an artist, concept art is less likely than some kind of tech demo.

That's already far more effort put into a scam than a scam is going to require, and that was a month before the Kickstarter was created.

Then the Kickstarter itself. The original intent of the Kickstarter was just art. That was it. We have significant circumstantial evidence that art was purchased and integrated.

Then stretch goals hit, notably Procedural Generation and Endless Simulation. These things are *hard*. We're sitting on the Dwarf Fortress forums. We know they're hard. Not only are they hard, they were explicitly picked back up from the cutting-room floor, where they were left because they were hard.

A good six-nine months of the delay was because Josh had to start from the ground up to make an engine that could support procedural generation and endless simulation. This makes sense - the existing engine wouldn't and couldn't support it, because the decision was originally made that it didn't need to, in favor of quick iteration and getting something out. (As a dev myself, I do want to note - and did note at the time - that 6-9 months for a fundamental rewrite of something at that scale is actually quite good, but still easily within the realm of believable.)

I don't have a specific date for when this engine overhaul ended. This was only really detailed on the forums, and that section was nuked from orbit. Probably around June/July 2015, if I had to guess. Not mentioned is the family medical issues as well.

Mid-October 2015 he publishes the First Turns/New Map video, with a promised series, that never materializes.

The likeliest reason the series never materialized is because, on advancing to the next few turns, he ran into the AI issues he then spent the next *very long* time trying to fix. This is also about when he went full-recluse, and the only real communication we had was courtesy of Serenseven / Sean acting as an intermediary. From Sean, we received interesting updates, and the news that the problem was with the AI. Also reasonable - AI is not exactly easy in the "easy" cases, and suffice to say that Josh hadn't set himself up to make it easy. Communication eventually ceased through Sean (in retrospect, understandable, because everything that made it to the forums just increased the vitriol).

And that's basically the entirety of 2016, other than a few unexpected map redesigns that crop up.

January 2017, Josh crops up on Kickstarter and provides new information. He tweaked the map even more, sure, but notably - he gave up on his original novel AI implementation and went to something far more tried-and-true.

That alone covers multiple map redesigns (at best actual, full-on, redesigns - at worst, time spent in Photoshop mocking up maps.) that no one asked for or wanted. QA sessions that go into crazy detail of a vision for the game. And more.

And on top of that, each step is pretty believable on its own. These are problems developers face. These aren't easy problems, either.

And that's not even touching on botched map maker and mod tool releases (that on their own prove *something* was done, even if they don't exactly do much), more massive QA sections on the forums, and other tidbits here and there.

That's why I don't think it's a direct, organized scam. We're talking about massive piles of work *just to fake game development* over the course of *2.5 years* for a measly $80k split between 2 people, less whatever art commissions cost.

The alternative explanation is that Josh had this great idea, actually began programming it, bit off more than he could chew in stretch goals, and out of a mix of pride and misplaced honor burned significant amounts of time trying to swallow that which he couldn't chew.

Or, summarized, one side is that two people went into elaborate detail for a scam, for about $17k/yr, and the other is that a developer fell prey to something so common for devs to wander face-first into, that it actually has a name - scope creep.

That altogether is why I say there's *so much* effort put into it for a scam.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: March 25, 2017, 04:58:31 am »

I don't buy the "stretch goal death" explanation because in that case there should be an original, unexpanded game. And everything suggests that there isn't.  The original mates of the guy didn't actually see the game, and so,e guy in another forum picked up the "map editor" and found that it likely served as the basis for the screenshots (the guy who did this compared it to "a car chassis with no engine". This is significant because it diverts a lot from their original claim of everything working, just lacking art).

Then there's that thing that guy with the strange blog discovered, of them starting ANOTHER  kickstarter afterwards (for a tabletop game) with a similar premise, and similar delays..

Dunno. The whole thing stinks to me
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: March 25, 2017, 06:34:33 am »

I don't buy the "stretch goal death" explanation because in that case there should be an original, unexpanded game. And everything suggests that there isn't.  The original mates of the guy didn't actually see the game, and so,e guy in another forum picked up the "map editor" and found that it likely served as the basis for the screenshots (the guy who did this compared it to "a car chassis with no engine". This is significant because it diverts a lot from their original claim of everything working, just lacking art).

Then there's that thing that guy with the strange blog discovered, of them starting ANOTHER  kickstarter afterwards (for a tabletop game) with a similar premise, and similar delays..

The most likely explanation was that there was a LOT less in the game than he was letting on... and that most of the screens and videos we saw was basically... Spore... Well the earliest spore video.

As in the game isn't actually made... So he cobbled together something to look like it was gameplay... and what there was could only generously be called concept art and concept videos.

Spore is kind of the most interesting case because some of the things in the demo were things that were discovered to be flat out impossible for the final game... So the degree of how much of that demo was kind of a fabrication was impressively immense.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 06:38:13 am by Neonivek »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: March 25, 2017, 07:55:43 am »

Spore was a different case, of "PR managers dumb down the game because it's too difficult for them to understand".
._.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: March 25, 2017, 11:37:00 am »

The most likely explanation was that there was a LOT less in the game than he was letting on... and that most of the screens and videos we saw was basically... Spore... Well the earliest spore video.

As in the game isn't actually made... So he cobbled together something to look like it was gameplay... and what there was could only generously be called concept art and concept videos.

Spore is kind of the most interesting case because some of the things in the demo were things that were discovered to be flat out impossible for the final game... So the degree of how much of that demo was kind of a fabrication was impressively immense.

Yeah, I went for an extremely-cursory overview of the easily-verified situation when I wrote out my earlier post. I think this is the most likely case - and Josh actually half-admits to it on the very first page of this topic:

We've mostly tried to keep it quiet up until now because we wanted a playable demo before we really got the word out - but since a few of the gaming sites picked us up we are making it a priority to be an active participant in some of the discussions happening in and around the creation of the game.

Implication being that they didn't have a playable demo circa August, and I seriously doubt one got finished in a month and a half.

Also! Same page (at my settings) I found this, about a persistent world. I think it lends extreme credence to the idea that they were in over their head from stretch goals:

As for persistent world... that's a really "historical" question for us.  We actually tried to make a strategy game based around a persistent world... almost ten years ago at this point.  The pitfalls of the design were such that we ended up rejecting the game entirely after a lot of effort, so we've leaned more towards treating your repeated attempts at victory as "a repeating cycle".  We DID plan on an Old One who does reuse a single corrupted hero from a prior game, but that Old One is not confirmed to be added and I'd say it's 50/50 if we end up using him. 

Not only was that Old One added, but they explicitly changed their mind towards a persistent world.

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: March 28, 2017, 09:58:38 am »

What blows my mind is that despite all the bullshit he still falls behind on any "update".
Once again theres been no word or information at all.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: March 28, 2017, 10:14:20 am »

What blows my mind is that despite all the bullshit he still falls behind on any "update".
Once again theres been no word or information at all.
I think he must be waiting for everyone to give up hope again before posting another update. I'm not a backer, but just skimming this thread, it seems to be the reoccurring pattern: HOPE ... time passes... DISBELIEF ...time passes... ANGER ...time passes... RESIGNATION ... time passes... *NEW POST*
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 210