Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358821 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #2805 on: November 28, 2017, 08:54:13 am »

Kickstarter is schrodinger's preorder.  The definition changes as soon as you look at it.  Kickstarter is very careful to never refer to it as anything that would imply a definition.

Regardless of what a kickstarter is, I backed it based on what Josh described as the state of the game.  It's now clear that he lied.  If he had told the truth about the game's state I wouldn't have given him any money.

Ironically, the game might've been out by now if the kickstarter had failed.  Unless everyuthing he's told us up until now has been a lie (not completely unrealistic) the most crippling damage was all done in the name of stretch goals.

It seems like he's learned his lessons though.  The vast reams of numbers and stats leads me to believe he's going for a more systems-based than agent-based AI, if that makes sense.  Rather than AI having choices and making predictions, it just runs the numbers and comes up with a scripted reaction (e.g. orc threat is 50, cylaria is 75, but aventura hates orcs so multiply orc threat by 2, = fight orcs, buy time on cylaria)

Which ironically is probably more predictable and "deterministic" than the AI route.

Hrmm. If I do understand that correctly, if you wanted to add a little bit of flux to their decision making, you could always add a variable modifier that changes every 10 turns or so.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: November 28, 2017, 09:27:04 am »

So this was the game where this guy Josh and his 'Partner' were talking about the game they already had, a game that was playable and existed, and it just needed some polish so they went to KS.

Then after much drama and broken schedules, the 'Partner' admitted there never was a game, and that Josh had tricked him... somehow... and all he could do was 'commiserate' with the backers.

Then it turned out Josh had started another KS in the meantime, for another company, while being totally incommunicado.

But now... everyone is just going to forget all that and pretend maybe despite all the clear signs, maybe it's not a scam? I mean... it's entertaining, to a point, but after a while it's frustrating to see this keep working.

If there's going to be a thread on this kickstarter (not game, there is no game 'yet') then someone needs to come through now and then and post a PSA about how nobody should pledge any money to this project, at least not without knowing the history of what they're getting into.  So that's what I'm doing. 

I'm not interested in debating this or derailing the thread further, so don't bother to respond to this post, ignore it if you like.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: November 28, 2017, 10:04:16 am »

You, uh, can't give them any money atm....
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Kopistko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: November 28, 2017, 10:06:06 am »

Main thing with TWS today - there are no way to pay any money to KDG. Like, at all. I couldn't find working paypal link or smth like this. If it is a scam, why bother? To escape with backers money? He already did this, lol. But if he sometime later would re-open preorder/pledging without working alpha/beta/demo/game, then yeah, bullshit it was and still is. Otherwise - meh, let him be and do videos and, I hope so, game.

Btw, there are no derailing the thread, it's not like there much going on or a lot of thing to discuss after 2 years.

P.S. Howbout lock thread again, if there are no video before end of the week?

UPD.
Also, are there any info on Josh? There are absolutely nothing on him, no Linkedin, no old twitter account, no FB.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 10:19:06 am by Kopistko »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: November 28, 2017, 10:47:48 am »

So what do I win if my bet turns out to be on the money?(as it's looking increasingly likely) Copy of the game?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: November 28, 2017, 10:51:35 am »

So what do I win if my bet turns out to be on the money?(as it's looking increasingly likely) Copy of the game?

Nothing but the cold satisfaction of getting a diminished final product after years of disappointment and anger.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: November 28, 2017, 11:14:28 am »

Ignoring that you literally can't give them any money (... I guess you could dig up the old PayPal email and send them money unsolicited if you really wanted to, but that'd be entirely on you), that summary is a bit editorialized as well.

Notably: The partner bailed because Josh refused to communicate with anyone. While bailing, he admitted that he'd never seen a working game - not that it never existed. There is a difference in the implications, even if for us it means the same thing.

The other Kickstarter was started using a business name previously tied to Josh, but was otherwise never legally incorporated by anyone. When pressed, the actual creator - the guy who actually started the campaign - said Josh wasn't involved with the current Kickstarter in any way. And that's about where the evidence ends. It's also worth noting that the last update on that Kickstarter had an update two weeks ago, explaining that they're just about finished with manufacturing proofs and about ready to go into full production.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: November 28, 2017, 11:32:42 am »

Notably: The partner bailed because Josh refused to communicate with anyone. While bailing, he admitted that he'd never seen a working game - not that it never existed. There is a difference in the implications, even if for us it means the same thing.

one thing i always found curious about this particular aspect

why does anyone trust anything said by Joseph Vivolo? (Fenix or whatever his name was) He wasn't just "the partner" - he was the one who set up the company. He had equal control over all of the assets and money. There were supposedly operating out of the same city.

Of course when he bailed he'd say it was all Josh's fault and that he was just as misled as the rest of us. But why would you believe that?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: November 28, 2017, 12:50:29 pm »

Many of the problems with this project appear to be directly connected with the fact that Josh has the PR skills of a tree stump, or perhaps a dead cat. So much could have been handled better if Josh just kept people in the loop. "Oh hey, it looks like coding an adaptive AI from scratch is way harder than I expected - Sorry guys!"

I've still got my fingers crossed that we get to see video #2 sometime this week.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: November 28, 2017, 01:27:12 pm »

Also, are there any info on Josh? There are absolutely nothing on him, no Linkedin, no old twitter account, no FB.

Given the pitchfork-wielding mobs running around seeking his blood, I find the distinct lack of personal social media presence to be 100% unsurprising.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: November 28, 2017, 02:14:40 pm »

Why set these harsh standards when the ball's already been dropped? What is it about this game that brings out incredible pettiness??? Just let it die. If something does come out, great, but it has literally been yanking people's chains for nearly four years now. "Shadows Behind The Throne" exists as an alternative even.
I forgot this existed since I last played, looks like it is still being updated.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: November 28, 2017, 03:56:28 pm »

Given the pitchfork-wielding mobs running around seeking his blood, I find the distinct lack of personal social media presence to be 100% unsurprising.
I think it's fair to say, based on timeline, that his poor social media presence predated the pitchforks, but I haven't done a rigorous analysis. (I bet that one tinfoil-hat-wearing guy has, though.)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2818 on: November 28, 2017, 04:28:07 pm »

(removed a twice-posted meme image and related posts.  please refrain from posting large images outside of forum games and screenshots, especially twice!  it's in the guidelines.)

also: person that said the thread would be locked won?  though it is unlocked now.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: November 28, 2017, 04:55:44 pm »

Always bet on the Toad.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 210