Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Imperfect Glosstrot, Our Glosstrot (My Little Pony Fortress) *Restarted*  (Read 11016 times)

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
Re: Imperfect Glosstrot, Our Glosstrot (My Little Pony Fortress) *Restarted*
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2014, 11:43:30 pm »

Just FYI, I am planning on snagging a male mason/miner/architect with at least one of those skills preexisting. Earth Pony if possible, name of... Whitewash, I think...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 11:46:55 pm by Paaaad »
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2014, 11:53:30 pm »

Just FYI, I am planning on snagging a male mason/miner/architect with at least one of those skills preexisting. Earth Pony if possible, name of... Whitewash, I think...

Do you want me to put that in the Reserve list on the .:Ponies:. post or no?
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2014, 02:06:55 am »

Well, Jaxler, You now have me wondering what you posted before you redacted/edited it, so curse you/thank you for occupying my thoughts for the next 3 days...

was going to ask to claim to bowyer, and for him to be made into a army pone.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2014, 02:28:55 am »

Ah, gotcha, and since you redacted that i'm guessing that's no longer what you want?
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2014, 02:34:39 am »

Ah, gotcha, and since you redacted that i'm guessing that's no longer what you want?

Eh, i'm up for it. Mind if the guy has a spear, or sword? preferably a spear?

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2014, 02:52:00 am »

I could try and get him a spear, though it will have to be a wooden one he can train with for now, as in-game we haven't hit any metals yet surprisingly, only cheft (or cleft however it's spelled, the brown stone) stone for a few z-levels. If that's fine with you?

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2014, 03:12:34 am »

I could try and get him a spear, though it will have to be a wooden one he can train with for now, as in-game we haven't hit any metals yet surprisingly, only cheft (or cleft however it's spelled, the brown stone) stone for a few z-levels. If that's fine with you?

It's totally fine. Also, it might help if you dig a 1x1 hole as deep as you can. It'll tell you alot about the metals on the game map (or lack there of).

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 03:19:37 am by jaxler »

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2014, 03:16:12 am »

That's a pretty decent idea. Any kind of name you want to give him and/or change his profession name (other than Spearpony)? Also keep in mind the two ponies that arrived during the migration wave don't have any history with eachother, in their relationships list it only has their deities down, meaning they don't know anyone, not even eachother.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2014, 03:18:46 am »

That's a pretty decent idea. Any kind of name you want to give him and/or change his profession name (other than Spearpony)? Also keep in mind the two ponies that arrived during the migration wave don't have any history with eachother, in their relationships list it only has their deities down, meaning they don't know anyone, not even eachother.

Change his name to Phalanx. I'd also like a description later on if ya don't mind.

Also, if all you end having is copper on the map, I'd suggest buying/ordering a lot of tin/bismuth so you can mass produce bismuth bronze/normal bronze, which is relatively *okay* for armor/weapons. The extra bismuth will help you mass produce bronze, as it means you'd only need 1 tin for 4 bars of weapon grade goods.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2014, 03:34:56 am »

Alright changing his name now, also the description and skills for him is already up, in the record i posted today.

Thanks a ton for the tips, even though i've been playing this for a few weeks and have learned alot and have decent forts going on (i have like 8 different Dwarf Fortresses installed, each with different mods and total conversions) i still don't have a lot of info on some things or tricks/tips to use. So Thanks!

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2014, 03:51:55 am »

Alright changing his name now, also the description and skills for him is already up, in the record i posted today.

Thanks a ton for the tips, even though i've been playing this for a few weeks and have learned alot and have decent forts going on (i have like 8 different Dwarf Fortresses installed, each with different mods and total conversions) i still don't have a lot of info on some things or tricks/tips to use. So Thanks!

sorry, i forgot you posted it.

Also, advice:
1: next time go with a 4X4 or 3x3 embark square, or you might get FPS death.
2: deconstruct trade depots while the caravan is in it and you get everything for free (this is an exploit, but can help on year one a lot)
3: Use weapon traps and the like, and don't send your army out for em until the enemy is near (this doesn't work for mega beasts or demons.)
4: don't mine out the whole candy vein or you'll get a surprise visit from the circus.
5: silver < copper < bronze/bismuth bronze/iron(bronze is barely worse) < Steel < candy.
6: make a lot of tiny army groups of 2-3 people with the same type of weapon. This way they'll train about 20 times faster and be easier to control.
7: use wooden shields, and also set your armor to replace civilian clothes once you've got full sets.
8: use stone pots over wood ones.
9: bins save lives.
10: Everything in the game dies instantly to a roof falling on it.
11: Make a statue garden in the same room as your meeting hall. It'll make dwarfs happier, and not lag as much.
12: Lower your children count in your files, it'll be wonderful not having 20+ tantrum starters.
13: Try to keep as few entrances into the fort as possible.
14: Turn off all fishing and hunting if you can keep your fort sustained by butchery and farming. Fisher dwarfs and hunters tend to die when goblins (or their equivalent in this mod) show up and do a good job as starting a tantrum.
15: You need to learn borrows because using it during an invasion of FB attack will save so many lives by keeping idiots from going outside the fort to grab a sock.
16: This may be cheating, but if you start another game, mod it so you can use gold/platinum for weapons and make whips not foreign. Plat whip is a lightsaber.
17: If you have sand, feel free to mass produce green glass sharp discs for weapon traps. It's cheep and effective.
18: in order of importance: Shield > Helm > chest plate > leggings > Boots/gloves.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2014, 04:16:03 am »

Thanks a ton for those tips! I did already know about the Embark tip though ^^, i test my computer to see what the max FPS/Embark i could do was (by doing certain things with certain files) and 6x6 is the biggest i can do without getting lag death later on, that's why i picked 6x6, though i picked it for that and another reason. The second reason was because it needed to be that big for the plans i had for the fortress/city for this mod, and if it was smaller than 5x5 those plans wouldn't work, i chose 6x6 because it would give more space and allow me to make a bigger city.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2014, 07:08:05 am »

I will admit I hadn't taken the bismuth bronze thing into account like.... Ever. Hats off to you jaxler, you made me learn something new today.

I would also like to add that my observations of fort mode training indicates it's at least a little bit easier to train larger groups with varying weapons now, though starting small and adding new recruits over time is probably the smart thing. And woo, someone else who uses wooden shields! Was starting to think I was the only oddball who didn't like their soldiers lugging around heavy lumps of metal with handles attached. Damned things are expensive on the metal front too.

As to metals, depending on how things of been they may be painfully far down, or worse, not actually useable metals (fucking cobalt and cinnabar,) or just a bad crafting only metal: Sphalerite. I cannot even begin to describe my hatred of these metals in the vanilla game.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2014, 10:12:01 am »

Do you want me to put that in the Reserve list on the .:Ponies:. post or no?

Yes please. I'm willing to wait!

I will admit I hadn't taken the bismuth bronze thing into account like.... Ever. Hats off to you jaxler, you made me learn something new today.

I would also like to add that my observations of fort mode training indicates it's at least a little bit easier to train larger groups with varying weapons now, though starting small and adding new recruits over time is probably the smart thing. And woo, someone else who uses wooden shields! Was starting to think I was the only oddball who didn't like their soldiers lugging around heavy lumps of metal with handles attached. Damned things are expensive on the metal front too.

As to metals, depending on how things of been they may be painfully far down, or worse, not actually useable metals (fucking cobalt and cinnabar,) or just a bad crafting only metal: Sphalerite. I cannot even begin to describe my hatred of these metals in the vanilla game.

Keep in mind of course that wooden shields will burn, which is rather a bad thing if you're facing, say, a dragon. Also, Sphalerite can come in very handy- say, if the mayor/duke has a thing for Nickle Silver(Bit of a misnomer there BTW, as it contains no silver).
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2014, 10:41:30 am »

Of course until that changes further down the line, wooden shields only burn when not in use or if the guy holding them is actually hit (since the fire spreads from him to the shield.) If that fireball hits the shield when he blocks, it won't hurt the shield at all.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8