Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Puella Magi Madoka★Magica: Firmament {She died for your Follies}  (Read 11603 times)

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
Re: Puella Magi Madoka★Magica: Firmament {There will be no survivors}
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2014, 01:14:14 pm »

[X] Smash it! [67%]
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2014, 01:22:30 pm »

What a brilliant and entirely predictable turn of events!

[X] Dodge it, because body contact with explosives is inadvisable, m'kay?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2014, 03:36:41 pm »

[X] Dodge

We don't want to die before Helga, right?
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2014, 05:13:19 pm »

We don't, but I have to wonder if dodging is the correct option. We're still not familiar with the combat system, which makes it hard to estimate just how valuable each selection is.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2014, 05:37:32 pm »

We don't, but I have to wonder if dodging is the correct option. We're still not familiar with the combat system, which makes it hard to estimate just how valuable each selection is.
Consider this something of a tutorial fight. Alice is something of a weak witch, compared to the ones you'll no doubt face later. Her familiars reflect that.

These are the best odds you're likely to have for a long time. Over a 50% chance of success for each option, without bonuses.

Just make sure to train whenever you can, because you never know when you step into the barrier of a 100 or 99, who are always or usually Gestalts, respectively. Like Walpurghis Nacht.

This is going to be hilarious. For me. Not for you guys. It's going to be horrible for you guys. But I'll be laughing.
HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2014, 11:16:35 pm »

[X] Dodge it! [75%]

[ROLL: 83: SUCCESS]

You roll to the side like greased lightning, deftly avoiding the dashing familiar.
[ENEMY ROLL: 25: FAILURE]
It stumbles slightly as it explodes, leaving little more than a small crater in the grassy dirt, not unlike a large firework. As you roll to your feet, you feel kind of like a ninja. It's a good feeling, and only compounded when you transform fully into your Magical Girl gear.

Something not unlike a short cocktail dress, although significantly looser, forms where your clothes were just a second ago. The dress alone is strapless and short, midway between a sleek modern look and Gothic Lolita, but it's covered up by a band of leather armor plates that cascade down from your right shoulder and around your midriff, finally stopping at a set of leather straps that are designed to hold your flails.

On top of the rather frigid and risqué ensemble is a more modest hunters cloak, the hood already pulled over your eyes and your ponytail tucked underneath. It layers itself around you, the thick wool running over your bare shoulders and warming them up. The whole outfit is forest green and earth brown, making a nice complement to your equally dark skin.

Twin flails appear in both of your hands, and you set them spinning as you grin. Now you're ready.

Three more familiars poke their heads out from assorted geometric shapes, squeaking rapidly like a group of mice.

[COMBAT]

[X] Attack the Rightmost Familiar [65%][Risk: Mild]

[X] Attack the center Familiar [65%][Risk: Mild]

[X] Attack the leftmost familiar [65%][Risk: Mild]

[X] Concentrate on dodging [45%]
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2014, 11:19:11 pm »

[X] Attack the center Familiar [65%][Risk: Mild]
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2014, 06:40:25 am »

Given that they are basically bombs, is better to let them explode. A 45% chance to dodge the three of them is
better that a 65% to defeat one.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2014, 09:08:36 am »

Given that they are basically bombs, is better to let them explode. A 45% chance to dodge the three of them is
better that a 65% to defeat one.

I rather agree, and +1.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2014, 11:37:46 pm »

[ROLL: 80 : SUCCESS]

The familiars rush you, deceptively fast and confusing, almost like butterflies in the semi-random path they take.

It's not hard to dodge them when they leap at you, though one does skirt your leg.
[ENEMY ROLL : 42 : SUCCESS]
Suprisingly, it doesn't blow, instead coming to a skittering stop a short ways away. You hear something like a faint sizzle fade away.

Then the other two come at you.
[ENEMY ROLL: 86 85 : SUCCESS]
You twist to the side as one lances past your gut, squeaking rapidly. It lands with a fluffy sound that would be adorable if it weren't a living bomb.

You're actually almost distracted enough that the second one hits you, but you mange to dodge just barely, contorting your hips into a position that you never would have thought you could reach. The Familiar rockets past, unfazed by your dodge.

You blink and realize they've surrounded you.

[COMBAT]

[X] Attack the Rightmost Familiar [55%][Risk: Mild]

[X] Attack the center Familiar [55%][Risk: Mild]

[X] Attack the leftmost familiar [55%][Risk: Mild]

[X] Concentrate on dodging [25%]

[X] Combo [35%][Risk: Mild]

Thou art I, I art Thou.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2014, 11:57:48 pm »

That's what I was afraid of.

I say we combo. 35% to hit all three is probably better than 55% to hit one and 0% to hit the other two. Dodging is seemingly both hitting diminishing returns and currently just a delaying tactic.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2014, 12:39:38 am »

I say we combo. 35% to hit all three is probably better than 55% to hit one and 0% to hit the other two. Dodging is seemingly both hitting diminishing returns and currently just a delaying tactic.
Well, you could win this battle through dodging in theory, though trying a "pacifist playthrough" is not recommended. The problem is that your enemies only have to roll above a 30 to survive if you dodge, and they all got good rolls this round so they got a neat little bonus as far as surrounding you goes. You could keep trying to dodge, since the dice gods are feeling awfully good for you this game, it seems, but it would probably take a while and be way more dangerous than attacking them one by one.

Those "Mild" risks of damage are basically another roll, but you don't see the actual percent chance, mostly because it changes based on where I have you guys positioned in my head when I start rolling the turn. Mild is usually 1-40% chance of damage though, with Medium being 40-60%, high being 60-80%, Extreme being 80-99%, and Guaranteed being 100%, obviously. This being the tutorial fight, the actual chance is pretty low, and you aren't going to just keel over dead unless you happen to roll a string of critfails. The witch is going to be a different story though. She actually has her own turn, whereas the Familiars are based off your own rolls. And she's smart enough to think and have some basic strategies too, though this is relatively weak thanks to your 58 up top.

I'm waiting for you guys to roll a 100 on the witch check. It's going to be so much fun. Since I've been on an evangelion kick lately I've been thinking maybe fighting a Angel or a Evangelion Gestalt, or maybe just something fucking lovecraftian in the worst way. Like a 4th dimensional time witch. Or something that translates through space via negative motion and is built out of antimatter. At the very least, a 100 on a witch roll will mean a miniature Walpurghis Nacht. Eh heh heh heh.
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2014, 01:29:23 am »

Combo! Hit those long odds!

Also, consider the possibility of getting a non-melee weapon in the future.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2014, 06:27:11 am »

Yeah, the combo seems the best. Shame they didn't explode.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2014, 08:57:39 am »

[X] Combo [35%]

[ROLL: 94, 29, 89, 60, 59]

[DAMAGE AVOIDANCE ROLL: 86 : SUCCESS]

Your flails are already twirling as the familiars leap at you in concert. Twisting only slightly you drive the spiked head of one flail in and out, through the tiny familiar, blowing it into nothing more than scraps of cloth and a burst of grief as it dies to quickly to even make a sound.

As a consequence, the other familiar manages to latch onto you, hissing away before you drop back down to the ground and kick at it. You hit, knocking it loose from your leg just as the hissing reaches a crescendo. The Familiar rapidly, desperately tries to save itself from self-destruction. It manages to survive, landing with a squeak and bouncing well away.

By this point you're already rolling, one flail in hand, and it pays off, as you smash the last familiar into the ground, the thick iron ball and chain crushing the thing into a cloud of expanding grief. The smell of misery surrounds you as you stand, facing your last surviving opponent. It squeaks, small and alone.

[ROLL: 41 : FAILURE]

You grin as you approach the lone familiar. There's a odd musk in the air, halfway between a human and a snake. Thick wafts of air brush your back as well, disturbingly human breaths.
[COMBAT]

[X] Flashy Execution [75%]

[X] Brutal Execution [90%]

{X} Roll a spot check
[X] Quick Execution [100%]
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11