Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26

Author Topic: Abrahamic Religions; Discussion, Cross-reference, and Beliefs  (Read 29446 times)

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Abrahamic Religions; Discussion, Cross-reference, and Beliefs
« Reply #300 on: November 06, 2014, 02:41:28 pm »

What is the Islamic concept of salvation? Is there a good deeds/proper faith split like in Christianity? (If these even are meaningful terms in Islam.)
I don't know how to simplify this but basically its like this.
During your lifetime, all your good deeds and sins are recorded until you die, Once you're in your grave, an angels comes down to you and wakes you up from you sleep, he asks if you believe in God and his prophet Muhammad, if you do you are shown a glimpse of heaven, if you don't then you are shown hell, so you can see what's waiting for you.
On Judgment day once everyone is dead, all the people of earth are lifted up from earth into the afterlife where you get judged by God (you don't get to see him though) If you have more good deeds then sins you go to heaven and if you have more sins you go to hell, also you can expect to go into one of 7 different levels of heaven, the highest is where all of God's previous prophets are and only those with very few sins if any go to, while the lowest one is where those who believe in God and worship him but have slightly less sins than good deeds go to.

I would also like to know what Islam believes on judgment day
IIRC, Judgment day starts when This beast appears and the sun rises from the west, It will be signaled by an Angel "Israfil" blowing into a horn killing everyone on earth except those whom God spares, he blows into it again and people are resurrected and lifted up to be judged.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 06, 2014, 02:48:15 pm »

Is faith necessary? Could a heathen get into heaven? You weren't quite clear on that...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 06, 2014, 02:49:13 pm »

What happens to people that do not die on judgement day? What's the point of showing you a glimpse of heaven and hell after you die?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 06, 2014, 02:58:14 pm »

Is faith necessary? Could a heathen get into heaven? You weren't quite clear on that...

I'd say faith is very important, Believing in God and prophet Muhammad is one of the five pillars of Islam, but don't quote me on that, I'm not a muslim scholar so I have no right to say this is right and that is wrong.

What happens to people that do not die on judgement day? What's the point of showing you a glimpse of heaven and hell after you die?
What happens to those who do not die is not mentioned, maybe they're lifted up straight to the afterlife and are not killed first, I can't say for sure.
Showing you a glimpse of heaven or hell is to offer you some peace while you rest knowing that heaven awaits you or to the opposite if you're destined to hell.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 03:05:51 pm by Lt_Alfred »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 07, 2014, 01:11:52 am »

I think you have to commit mass suicide.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 08, 2014, 03:30:42 am »

...all of this unnecessary Islam-bashing.

It seems a bit one-sided, but the Christian-bashing is on the Christianity thread, and people tend to shy away from Jew bashing after that german guy took it too far and ruined it for everybody.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 08, 2014, 03:37:32 am »

Also, we don't really have any antisemite on the board as far as I know.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 08, 2014, 06:19:27 am »

Well I don't like religion in general so I can bash Judaism if you want  :D
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 08, 2014, 06:45:50 am »

...all of this unnecessary Islam-bashing.

It seems a bit one-sided, but the Christian-bashing is on the Christianity thread, and people tend to shy away from Jew bashing after that german guy took it too far and ruined it for everybody.
He was Austrian.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 08, 2014, 07:45:19 am »

For what it's worth, plenty of the flak being shot at christianity is mostly because of the OT, so judaism is kinda' getting caught in the crossfire. It's just not really being talked about from a judaic point of view. Mostly because we don't appear to have any judaism adherents on the board. Least none that's actually speaking up. Islam seems to be roughly in the same position, really, we just actually have active islamophobes flapping about.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 08, 2014, 07:55:56 am »

I think Mict is Jewish.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 08, 2014, 08:08:06 am »

Hell, sheb, I probably qualify as jewish -- one of the great grandfathers was one, which would be more than enough to qualify for native american. That doesn't mean an adherent of judaism :P

That's actually one of the most personally irritating parts of the religion, honestly. It's bloody annoying to have an ethnic group and a religious group sharing the exact same ruddy name. Whoever decided it was a good idea to set up a situation where Jew =/= Jew can be a true statement should be pummeled.
Ask not!
Ask!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 08, 2014, 08:57:16 am »

Nope - Judaism is inherited in a matrilinear fashion IIRC, presumably because genetic testing to determine fatherhood is a fairly recent innovation. You could convert though if you wanted to.
The Bay12 postcard club

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 08, 2014, 09:22:00 am »

Nope - Judaism is inherited in a matrilinear fashion IIRC, presumably because genetic testing to determine fatherhood is a fairly recent innovation. You could convert though if you wanted to.

Uh, since when was a specific religion a genetically inherited trait? Yes there are genetic markers from ethnic groups and regions, but a religion is not inherited.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 08, 2014, 09:26:54 am »

Yeaaah, pheno/genotype inheritance doesn't really work like that. Though I guess that means there's a third sort of jew running around or some bughumping nonsense like that. Jewish (genetic), jewish (religion), and jewish (recognized inheritance(?)).

It would be nice if two of those three would kindly bugger off from the english language. Get better words, damnit!
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26