Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26

Author Topic: Abrahamic Religions; Discussion, Cross-reference, and Beliefs  (Read 29411 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Abrahamic Religions; Discussion, Cross-reference, and Beliefs
« Reply #360 on: November 11, 2014, 05:40:38 pm »

It's kind of hard to talk about abrahamic religions without the muslims talking their side (and defending).

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 11, 2014, 05:41:32 pm »

Also, bp? Please stop going on about Islam. I don't care how justified you think your opinions are - I (and likely many other people on this thread) am tired of hearing them.

Same here, it's just going in neverending loops.

Edit: Why did I double post.....

When I tried to ask BP to suggest a topic about maybe something controversial with Judaism (besides political and possibly historical) or if there was anything about it he wanted to talk about and basically said no, and since he's the only active jew (AFAIK) on the thread, that leaves Christianity, which defeats the point of the thread.

The suggestion I had earlier about judaism and abortion was just a random stab in the dark attempt to get the thread somewhere other than bashing islam.

Actually, I wonder if BPs islambashing is scaring off other muslim forumers from participating.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 05:48:18 pm by smjjames »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 11, 2014, 05:51:08 pm »

The thing is, BP is needlessly offensive. Take that stuff about Islam and literacy rate. He could have said "You know, Muslims predominantly live in poor, third-world country, so it's not surprising there is not many on Bay12". Instead, he made it sounds like Muslims are some sort of savages.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 11, 2014, 05:52:08 pm »

How about some lesser known religions under this umbrella?

We could talk about Zoroastrianism. Not technically Abrahamic, but it probably influenced the formation of Abrahamic religions. Certainly has some philosophic ties, and not by coincidence, having emerged in the same region semi-contemporaneously.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 11, 2014, 06:03:28 pm »

I'm muslim, ask me.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 11, 2014, 06:04:24 pm »

We could talk about Zoroastrianism. Not technically Abrahamic, but it probably influenced the formation of Abrahamic religions. Certainly has some philosophic ties, and not by coincidence, having emerged in the same region semi-contemporaneously.

The Muslims* hated Zoroastrians AFAIK. Not much love lost between parties when you're constantly struggling for control over the gateways to the east.

Y'know, and the vestiges of Zoroastrianism were typically Persian during their interactions.

*Muslims chosen instead of 'Abrahamic' because they were the only group out of the three that would have had extensive cross-populace interaction. Sun gods especially don't jive with the writings, with god being the one who made the sun.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 06:12:35 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 11, 2014, 06:09:57 pm »

I'm muslim, ask me.
I think we all would ask about it but I'm just getting annoyed by BP's constant anti Muslim stuff
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 11, 2014, 06:14:47 pm »

So muslims just happen to live in those poor third-world countries? religion has nothing to do with it?

Smjjames, i didn't "basically said no", i basically said i won't bother with coming up with judaism controversial topics but i would happily discuss relevant things if other bring them up.

And i can't see why i should scare muslims forumers from participating. so far, the environment here is pretty much all against me. they would feel safely in the majority and have a golden opportunity to defend their religion from a superior position.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 11, 2014, 06:16:33 pm »

I'm muslim, ask me.

So have you read the Quran? If yes what part of it spoke the most to you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 11, 2014, 06:18:14 pm »

Oh, bloody hell, I'm done talking to you BP.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 11, 2014, 06:19:00 pm »

So muslims just happen to live in those poor third-world countries? religion has nothing to do with it?

Smjjames, i didn't "basically said no", i basically said i won't bother with coming up with judaism controversial topics but i would happily discuss relevant things if other bring them up.

And i can't see why i should scare muslims forumers from participating. so far, the environment here is pretty much all against me. they would feel safely in the majority and have a golden opportunity to defend their religion from a superior position.

Hey come on, the only reason that it seems like everybody is against you is because you keep bashing islam and everybody else pushing against that.

Maybe if you stopped bashing islam for a while, it won't seem like everybody is against you.

Incidentially, isn't the 'the environment is against us' also the Israel governments mindset?

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 11, 2014, 06:23:21 pm »

Bashing islam? i am bashing religion. since sheb and others bash christianity in the other thread, i am targeting islam here.

Do you actually think that religion has no implications on society?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 11, 2014, 06:25:06 pm »

The Muslims hated Zoroastrians AFAIK. Not much love lost between parties when you're constantly struggling for control over the gateways to the east.

Y'know, and the vestiges of Zoroastrianism were typically Persian during their interactions.
Zoroastrianism may possibly predate Judaism, though. Conflicts like that wouldn't have been a thing for a millennium at least. It's interesting to look at as a monotheistic religion not descended from the Abrahamic tree, but with some interchange.

I'm muslim, ask me.

Can you elaborate on the daily practices?

Yes. South Asia and Central/Western Africa tend to be poor and undeveloped in general, and contain countries with majorities of other religions. The link between religion and lack of development is a bit tenuous, since very affluent countries have majorities of the same religions.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 11, 2014, 06:26:15 pm »

Bashing islam? i am bashing religion. since sheb and others bash christianity in the other thread, i am targeting islam here.

Do you actually think that religion has no implications on society?

*Sigh*

I don't see people calling each other savages on that thread or flaming each other, which seems to be what you think of islam.

And I never said that I thought religion has no implications on society.

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 11, 2014, 06:36:21 pm »

I'm muslim, ask me.

So have you read the Quran? If yes what part of it spoke the most to you.

Yes I have read the Quran, I don't know how to answer your second question to be honest, The Quran is (for those who believe in Islam) the words of God sent to his prophet and his followers, one part of it should not be more important than the others.

I'm muslim, ask me.

Can you elaborate on the daily practices?

The daily practices are simple, as a Muslim you have to pray 5 times a day to the direction of Mecca, everything you set out to do must be done with God in mind, you have to offer charity to the poor etc...
Anything you'd like to know in particular?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26