Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 183952 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #540 on: March 05, 2015, 01:28:13 pm »

Yeah it was a joke.  If you want a more serious example you could look at the Amulet Bloom deck, which is a wonky tier-two deck except when it's the hands of the 2 people who are good at playing it.  Then it becomes a tier one contender.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 05, 2015, 06:35:22 pm »

speaking of magic
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 05, 2015, 08:00:27 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:03:28 pm by penguinofhonor »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 05, 2015, 09:45:38 pm »

I'm seriously tempted to take Envoy of Balance for my Pathfinder Wizard. Seems like a nifty prestige class, and I already planned on having pretty much all the prerequisites for it anyhow. On the other hand there's a lot to be said for staying pure in Pathfinder. I dunno, I'll debate it later.

Dumb DM decision of the week: Handle Animal checks must be made each round of combat to have an animal continue to attack a target.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 05, 2015, 10:22:05 pm »

In case anyone thought that was just a joke:
Quote from: Doug Beyer's tumblr
Q: hi doug!! reading the new uncharted realms, i felt an enormous amount of sympathy for narset, specifically with reference to the beginning sequence with her as a kid. the restlessness, the sensory overload, the self-distraction with counting and observation - these, to me, heavily code narset as being autistic. i am autistic myself and it would mean the absolute world to me to know that a character in a game i care deeply about is like me, and many other folks. is this something you can confirm?

A: That was the intent, yes. The most important part of Narset’s character is her amazing mind, which is central to her potential as a powerful Planeswalker and as a pursuer of knowledge — but it happens that she processes information and input differently than a lot of other people. Tarkir denizens might not have a term for the autism spectrum or being neurodivergent or neuro-atypical, but those terms would correctly describe her. In this timeline she is not khan of the Jeskai, but no matter the circumstances, she hasn’t let go of her commitment to seeking her own path to wisdom and truth. Kudos to Creative Team member Kimberly Kreines for exploring this aspect of Narset in her story “The Great Teacher’s Student.”

Wizards has been doing representation really well lately.
My only fear is that people will foolishly associate UW with autism because of their decision to leave R out of her latest card. This is not a fear I can blame on Wizards, so don't take that as complaining about their decisions. Yes, I worry about the stupidest damn things.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 05, 2015, 10:30:50 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:04:35 pm by penguinofhonor »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 05, 2015, 10:34:17 pm »

I know. I am not optimistic about the audience, however. Then again, I am not exposed to the brightest slice of it over on /tg/, so keep in mind that it's like saying "I expect shit because I spend my time bathing in it."

EDIT: The thing is that stereotypical UW is about as stereotypically autistic as you can get, which is why I worry about people not caring and just going "Oh yeah, smart, logical, all sorts of rules, not good at handling social things, yup" and call it a day.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:05:28 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 06, 2015, 06:16:06 am »

Red not being autistic would make sense though, Red being the colour of emotion and all that.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 06, 2015, 08:16:15 am »

Envoy of Balance

In my opinion, alignment is one of the least good mechanics of D&D/Pathfinder. And there's a prestige class built wholly around it.

Some of the abilities as well. Twinned Channeling. What is the point of that?

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 06, 2015, 08:23:16 am »

Twinned Channeling. What is the point of that?
Selective Channeling => deal damage and heal on the same turn "easily" (and effectively on different targets) ?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 06, 2015, 08:29:28 am »

Twinned Channeling. What is the point of that?
Selective Channeling => deal damage and heal on the same turn "easily" (and effectively on different targets) ?

I only read the first portion. Thanks for the clarification. That'll teach me to not read the entire block.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 08:31:10 am by Mephisto »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 06, 2015, 04:01:14 pm »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 06, 2015, 04:12:48 pm »

Envoy of Balance

In my opinion, alignment is one of the least good mechanics of D&D/Pathfinder. And there's a prestige class built wholly around it.

Alignment makes too much in-world sense to be done away with in most settings though.  Everyone believes in good and evil (and many believe in order and chaos) so naturally they become strongly reified on the outer planes; this also creates a valid in-story excuse for why the alignments aren't internally consistent - because people's beliefs aren't consistent.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 06, 2015, 04:24:18 pm »

Well, I'll be damned. /tg/ finally called it, after multiple consecutive attempts.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 06, 2015, 05:52:15 pm »

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 131