Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 183977 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #840 on: April 28, 2015, 06:40:49 pm »

Started using my fighter to hook large and faraway creatures with a grappling hook- after hefting the -4 a few times, I've switched it to a harpoon.

Which is awesome, I've currently harpooned 3 flying creatures, two of them being bosses, with the only problem that they all without fail manage to snip my rope.
Getting kinda sick of this shit.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 28, 2015, 06:51:14 pm »

You might try switching to chain, perhaps?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 28, 2015, 09:33:34 pm »

Yeah, currently working on a mithril chain. Not sure if I should make it the first ten feet or the whole dang length.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: April 29, 2015, 05:49:48 am »

Buy 10 feet and get a wizard to cast Fabricate on it a few times. Presto! Triple the length each cast. Because screw physics, it's a wizard damn it.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: April 29, 2015, 07:16:32 am »

I actually have a +1 hammer with Fabricate.

Also, I play 3.5+. Fabricate has to use the same amount of material as the raw material started with.
Is how I actually made my harpoon, by holding a bunch of javelins around a pitchfork and snapping my fingers. Was pretty cool in the moment.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 29, 2015, 08:52:02 am »

If you read the rules as written, it actually creates more materials when used this way.

Fabricate's text says regarding the components:

Material Component
The original material, which costs the same amount as the raw materials required to craft the item to be created.

When you craft an item you pay one-third of the item’s price for the cost of raw materials.

Therefore if you let the 10 ft. chain be the original material, it costs three times the amount as the raw materials required to craft the item.

Thus using the 10 ft. chain as the original material, you can create a 30 ft. chain by the rules as written.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: April 29, 2015, 08:53:55 am »

You know, that's sort of begging to be combined with an upgraded Rod of Ropes to make a fantasy harpoon gun.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 29, 2015, 09:39:20 am »

If you read the rules as written, it actually creates more materials when used this way.

Fabricate's text says regarding the components:

Material Component
The original material, which costs the same amount as the raw materials required to craft the item to be created.

When you craft an item you pay one-third of the item’s price for the cost of raw materials.

Therefore if you let the 10 ft. chain be the original material, it costs three times the amount as the raw materials required to craft the item.

Thus using the 10 ft. chain as the original material, you can create a 30 ft. chain by the rules as written.

Seems to me that it's telling you that the uncrafted materials are cheaper than the finished thing, not that you use one third of the mass of the item. And in industry, raw material can't be a finished product (in fact it would mean ore, not even ingots, as raw means as found in nature "unprocessed or minimally processed". But in a RPG I would probably allow ingots).

Raw materials -> intermediate material -> finished product.
Intermediate would be the ingots, then the chain links. The chain itself can be considered an intermediate product if you're using it to make something else, or a finished product if you're just going to sell it that way.

If you start with a finished chain you can make a finished chain of the same length, and you should pay for the full finished chain that you used, since it wasn't a raw material. In fact, you could say that since the raw materials of a completed chain are worth 1/3 of the price of the chain, you're in fact destroying the first chain, making it lose two thirds of its value, then using the raw materials. Or you're just saving work.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:42:00 am by Sergius »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 29, 2015, 09:55:33 am »

Indeed.  I don't think the RAW covers overcharging for raw materials or paying for more-expensive finished goods to render them into raw materials.  Usually, though, I hear the logic around Resurrection where it's paying 10,000 g for tiny diamond fragments, but by contrast, I don't believe I've ever heard anyone argue that buying a diamond the size of an ogre's head for a copper piece, to exaggerate a bit, would disqualify it from use for material components. 

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 29, 2015, 10:01:58 am »

Indeed.  I don't think the RAW covers overcharging for raw materials or paying for more-expensive finished goods to render them into raw materials.  Usually, though, I hear the logic around Resurrection where it's paying 10,000 g for tiny diamond fragments, but by contrast, I don't believe I've ever heard anyone argue that buying a diamond the size of an ogre's head for a copper piece, to exaggerate a bit, would disqualify it from use for material components.

I have. Something about the inherent value of the reagent being what allows it to function.

In fact, that might even be a rule in GURPS IIRC and it even makes sense there. In order to enchant things into what are essentially mana capacitors, you base the capacity off of the cash value of the item. If diamonds are worthless, they won't make good power stones.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: April 29, 2015, 10:06:14 am »

Sorry, I should clarify - while it's useful in most non-metagaming situations to indicate quality by cost, in this case the cost examples isn't actually denoting the actual quality or inherent value of the diamond.  It's only what the adventurers are actually paying for it, and in this example is essentially an artificial market distortion in order to (meta-)game the system.  Or, if charitable, because of supply-demand considerations or some other in-game reason. 

"I've got 10 diamonds, and you can have the lot for 10 thousand."
"I'll pay 10 thousand for each."
"...OK."
"Great.  Now we can have 10 Resurrections instead of one."
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:09:33 am by Culise »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: April 29, 2015, 10:32:07 am »

The whole idea of spell components being "10,000 gp worth of something" is pretty stupid. What if the prices change? Does that suddenly makes all spells demand a different amount of reagent?

Can you crash the market in order to disable some spells from being used for a duration of the crash?
._.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: April 29, 2015, 10:49:33 am »

Maybe whoever designed the spells deliberately pegged them to the currency; what the spell actually needs is a threshold of value based on common acceptance of the GP as legal tender as represented by commodities with ties to the effects of the spells. The magic can't run on the gold standard, or the descriptions wouldn't specify coinage. That said, it also specifies gold pieces, excluding silver, copper, and platinum.

Therefore, we can conclude that a conspiracy exists between all casters who use material components across all known planes to intrinsically tie magic to the continued use of gold coins as the currency. They're trying to leverage the importance of their magic to prevent economic development towards the use of fiat money.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: April 29, 2015, 01:58:48 pm »

Therefore, we can conclude that a conspiracy exists between all casters who use material components across all known planes to intrinsically tie magic to the continued use of gold coins as the currency. They're trying to leverage the importance of their magic to prevent economic development towards the use of fiat money.
I want a campaign based entirely around this concept.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 29, 2015, 02:09:35 pm »

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 131