Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 183986 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1140 on: June 20, 2015, 08:28:04 pm »

Pretty much.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: June 20, 2015, 10:19:15 pm »

I've only played it once, but I quite enjoyed the DC Comics Deck-Building Game.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: June 20, 2015, 11:59:56 pm »

I would enjoy something for 2+ players with a fantasy theme but I'm up for anything.

I don't get to pimp Thunderstone Advance often, so that's what I'm going to do.

The base is pretty much Dominion - buy new cards using currency based on which cards you drew this turn. There are a few big differences, however.

• No useless estates
  • There's a cave of evil badness just outside of town
  • You're one of the town's protectors, so you use your money to gather and equip a militia, leveling them up as you beat back the enemy

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 21, 2015, 04:45:31 pm »

We had our first session of Paranoia yesterday, it was a rousing success. Well, for the players anyway.

Spoiler: Summary of the events (click to show/hide)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: June 22, 2015, 12:00:34 pm »

I wish I could help but I never really understood what anyone means when they say a Deck Building game rather than just a card game.  I think Magic the Gathering counts?

I believe the semantic folk like to differentiate deck construction games (Magic, Netrunner, etc.), games where you build the deck before playing, and deck builders (Dominion etc.), games where the deck is built up during gameplay.

Then we can ponder whether games with deck building mechanic are automatically deck builders or not. Stuff like Mage Knight and City of Remnants. I'd argue no, or at least they're not pure deck builders since they have so many other mechanics in as well. Might as well call Catan a card game because it has resource cards, you know.

The base is pretty much Dominion - buy new cards using currency based on which cards you drew this turn. There are a few big differences, however.

• No useless estates

That sounds a bit like missing the point of estates. Or does TA have useless VP cards in as well in some other form? Either way, I don't want to rain on Thunderstone. It's a game I'd like to try if given the chance.

The much hyped Arctic Scavengers reprint is supposedly going to be released next week (at US/Gencon I believe, naturally a while longer for it to hit brick & mortar/cross the ocean). I'm looking to grab that up when it comes out, sounds like a cool game. Not as much variance as Dominion, at least not without the new Deception expansion, but it adds some bluffing and more interaction. No idea if that ends up working or not, can't comment on that until I actually get the game and have it hit the table a few times.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: June 22, 2015, 01:27:34 pm »

• No useless estates

That sounds a bit like missing the point of estates. Or does TA have useless VP cards in as well in some other form? Either way, I don't want to rain on Thunderstone. It's a game I'd like to try if given the chance.

The VP cards in Thunderstone are the monsters that you slay. Yes, some are useless. Some are worth money and/or have abilities you can use on your turn, however. Some of the more annoying ones also have penalties.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: June 22, 2015, 01:43:38 pm »

Sounds interesting. While I'm not a big Dominion fan I do enjoy the fact that buying VPs isn't a no-brainer.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: June 22, 2015, 01:56:30 pm »

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:26:33 pm by penguinofhonor »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: June 23, 2015, 01:06:13 pm »

How similar is Dominion to Ascension? I own Ascension: Rise of Vigil and the expansion and it's really fun. I've got another deckbuilding game coming in the mail from Kickstarter (I hope). I like the genre and would definitely be interested in exploring it some more.

Haven't played Ascension, but I've watched enough reviews to know the deal.

Dominion v Ascension:
-Dominion has a static set of 10 "kingdom" card piles (you choose/randomize from a larger amount prior to the game), as well as default money, curse and VP piles. Basically you can plan your game ahead better, since there's not going to be any surprise cards coming up all the time from an unknown deck.
-Dominion is played until a certain VP pile is depleted OR when three card piles are depleted. This gives the player (I assume) more control on when to end the game than in Ascension. VPs are also all useless so there's an incentive not to buy them too soon since they just clog up your deck.
-There are no "constructs", all the cards you play get discarded at the end of your turn.
-By default you only have one buy action and one "action" (ie. you can play any one action card). Many strategies involve buying cards that provide you with +buys and/or +actions. So you might end up with a hand of 3 really cool actions but you can only play one of them (and remember, your entire hand is discarded at turn end regardless). This creates and interesting choice to be made.

I'd say it's different enough to warrant a purchase. Also dominion is basically THE original deckbuilder, I'd urge you to give it a few plays just for that. But then I do enjoy old films and DOS games as well.

There's the base game, standalone expansion "Intrigue" and probably a big box or two that come with base+expansions. I think the base set of cards is better, but if your local store only stocks Intrigue don't feel bad for buying that either. Expansions do add to the game, but base is very playable by itself for good while so don't feel pressured to get any right away if you're on a budget.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: June 24, 2015, 01:00:35 am »

Base dominion is also playable online for free, both against bots (oh god, the playdominion bots) and people.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: June 25, 2015, 08:17:01 am »

Got a neat Role Playing Game called Mutant Epoch. I played a game of it, and I'm enjoying it so far. What I think is especially neat is that it is completely possible to make a character completely randomly. So Many TABLES!

Here's a preview PDF.
http://www.outlandarts.com/The-Mutant-Epoch-RPG-preview-spring2011v2.pdf
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: June 29, 2015, 03:45:26 am »

I am sick to death of my warhammer group and their hypercompetitive bullcrap.
I don't know if I've just played too much with people who are more towards the fluff end, but for some reason I just get incredibly irritated whenever I play with these people. They pull the cheesiest, cashiest forgeworld crap out of their asses for these fights, and I don't even want to turn up with my list because I can't compete.

Reposted here for more familiar audience.
I figure the 40k thread is more fluff-wise.

Point being, when I chose my army I looked at them all, got some input and decided on what sounded coolest to me.
I've just bought a tank which I have zero reason to get past 'tourney competitiveness'. It is not why I got in the hobby.
Why does Australia have to be so sparse...
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: June 30, 2015, 01:44:21 pm »

How's the player base in your area, any chance of finding/forming a group that concentrates on the cool/fluff factor over competitiveness?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: June 30, 2015, 08:36:46 pm »

I haven't played 40k, so I don't know much about how the game works, but I'd rather do what I think sounds cool or fun than to listen to other players bitch about not being as optimized or competitive as they are.

How do groups deal with multiple players going for thematically similar builds or characters?

This would be the second time in a row that I've chosen to make the same type of character with the the same playstyle, and with the exact same player no less.

While this isn't an issue at the moment, the last time we tried similar characters he had stopped to create a new character, because we were more or less the same. I don't want to take the fun away from another person again.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: June 30, 2015, 09:52:37 pm »

While this isn't an issue at the moment, the last time we tried similar characters he had stopped to create a new character, because we were more or less the same. I don't want to take the fun away from another person again.

I would say usually it's a 'no'. But if you two really get along and it's high-RP, you could probably sell it if your personalities are different enough.
But personally I like to leave no niche unfilled. Intperson, Wisperson, Chrperson, Strperson, Dexperson. That way all of your thematic angles are covered, and the GM can't throw 'It's a heavy thing' at your party of wizards.
No idea how large your group is though.

How's the player base in your area, any chance of finding/forming a group that concentrates on the cool/fluff factor over competitiveness?
Afaik there's a lot who play it in my city. But the only places I'm going to find them are instore, and if they're instore then they're very likely the competitiveness-type people.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 131