Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 53160 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Farming Village Bloodline (One Free Spot!)
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2014, 09:01:03 pm »

I personally came for the anarchocapitalist land grab but it occurs to me that a large property holding might attract the attention of the IRS.

Hawkblockades jammed a broken stick into the ground, grumbled, then foraged around for another one.  Meanwhile, the other six dwarves watched on, growing more and more uneasy as his bizarre behavior continued.  He'd been at it for days now, and showed no signs of stopping.  The others had ignored his behavior at first, but now they were starting to get worried.  "Hey there, Hawk...maybe you should take a break," Saint suggested, her toolbelt jangling with tongs and hammers.  "You haven't slept in days."

"She's right," Wierd added, dropping a basket of foraged plants at his feet.  "This can't be healthy.  At the very least, let us help you with whatever it is you're doing."

"NOOOOOO," Hawkblockades screamed, foaming at the mouth.  He flailed a broken twig about, fending them off.  He took care not to knock over the twig he'd just planted, but otherwise he spun about with reckless abandon.  "THIS IS MY LAND! MINE! ALL MINE, YOU HEAR ME?!  MINE!!!"

The rest of the dwarves watched on patiently as he hopped about, waiting until he calmed down enough to jam another stick into his make-shift fence.  The line of twigs shoved into the dirt encompassed nearly the entire embark area, including the land they were all currently standing on.  Hawkblockades continued on, mumbling to himself in a deranged fashion.  "You'll see.  They think they can just tax the living beard off my face, do they?  Well, let's see how they like it when this entire fortr - I mean, VILLAGE - is my own private property! Ah ha!  Ha ha ha! AHAHAHAHA!  YES! FINALLY!!!"

Hawkblockades jammed the final stick into the ground, completing his fence.  It'd taken him days, but he'd finally marked his territory.  This entire section of undeveloped woodland now belonged to him.  Turning to his fellow dwarves, he roughly shoved out his hand and gave them a crazed smile.  "Now that you're all standing on MY PROPERTY, I have the right to charge you rent!  Now pay up, that's a hundred gold coins a day from each of you!"  The remaining six sane dwarves looked at one another, then silently turned back towards Hawkblockades.

"We're not doing that," Hugo said evenly.  Hawkblockades' crooked grin fell, and then his face suddenly contorted with rage.

"No, you have to.  I own this!  ALL OF THIS IS MINE! DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND??  MINE MINE MINE MINE!"  He hopped in place, stomping the ground beneath his feet in abject fury.  "MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!"

The others turned away, heading back to the Pickled Plum.  They'd wait for Hawkblockades to finish his temper tantrum, then discuss a fair way to divide the land over a pint of Plum Brandy.  After all, they wanted their little village to be successful, and it was difficult to attract migrants when they'd just be going from one over-taxing tyrant to another. 

Much, much later, after night had fallen and Hawkblockades had gone from screaming about anarchocapitalism to running from giant hallucinated owls, the group had come to a decision.  Those who brought industry to their little town would be given a small parcel of land in exchange for their service, with the opportunity to gain more through their own hard work and dedication.  They celebrated the successful conclusion of Nevertaxed's very first Town Hall Meeting with another round of brandy, ignoring the faint screams of a single crazed dwarf demanding rent from an owl that simply did not exist.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:07:22 pm by evictedSaint »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2014, 09:02:42 pm »

This is actually a really good idea.  Shall we say each of the seven gets 64 squares (or however many we vote on as a fair amount) for their own private development, as well as minor notable status?  More property can be granted if they produce something worthy (arming a garrison with freshly smithed weapons, clearing the woods and clearing the land for development, successfully negotiating a trade deal, etc.  We can vote on worthiness in the thread), or if they rise in notability status, or if they get a lease/rent it.

How big was our embark area, by the way?

36,864, I'd already measured it out the stupid way. You can shift+direction 19 times with from one side to another with one tile left so that's 192^2 and 2304*16 confirms. Land as a reward based on character performance is literally the most awesome thing I've heard all day. We could all start with 50 squares (25 for being citizens x2 multiplier for being our fantastic selves) then stake out our claims on the site map.

That doesn't make me think of a village/town, though.  It makes me think of a monarchy.

We came to this land because we believed that every dwarf deserved the opportunity to make a living based on their own hard work.  No dwarf should be taxed; the fruits of a dwarf's labor is his and his alone!  It's in the very name of our humble town, "Nevertaxed"!  Doesn't the vast majority of dwarves paying rent to the few landowners recreate the very same thing we sought to escape?!

I personally came for the anarchocapitalist land grab but it occurs to me that a large property holding might attract the attention of the IRS. Infernal Restructuring Society Heh.

The only reason anyone historically risked death out in the wilds homesteading was to take advantage of the chance to claim unowned land/resources in the first place.  Mostly because all the land/resources back at home already were all owned/claimed.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:10:14 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2014, 09:37:22 pm »

It seems a little random.  Mines normally follow mineral veins, and tend to twist and turn as they go along.  I imagine mining will require a lot of micro-management.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2014, 09:50:55 pm »

Just curious-- who is doing the brewing?  Herbalism is one of the allowed jobs for building a brewery, but my dwarf does not have brewer skill?  I'd like him to pick up at least some skill besides "Hey, if you eat this you'll hallucinate giant owls! Try some and join the party!" Brewing in the basement seems like a perfectly natural thing for him to do, given his personality. 

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2014, 09:59:33 pm »

It seems a little random.  Mines normally follow mineral veins, and tend to twist and turn as they go along.  I imagine mining will require a lot of micro-management.

The 4 arms are exploratory tunnels and they'll twist and turn to follow ore, the large central area is to accommodate the landings.

Just curious-- who is doing the brewing?  Herbalism is one of the allowed jobs for building a brewery, but my dwarf does not have brewer skill?  I'd like him to pick up at least some skill besides "Hey, if you eat this you'll hallucinate giant owls! Try some and join the party!" Brewing in the basement seems like a perfectly natural thing for him to do, given his personality.

We have an undwarfed proficient brewer/thresher, but since I'm planning to give you the farming industry there's no reason you shouldn't have the still. I've altered the rules regarding basements to allow this.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:03:17 pm by Broseph Stalin »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2014, 10:55:40 pm »

Man, I'm getting really excited for this Bloodline game.

I can see Bim owning a small blacksmithing shop, living in the flat above and hocking her wares on the ground floor.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2014, 11:19:47 pm »

You know, thats why most buildings are called shops, cuz they used to do that . . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2014, 11:28:36 pm »

http://imgur.com/a/A8eKo

How's that for a mine design?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2014, 11:31:35 pm »

good for me.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2014, 12:01:19 am »

Shouldn't miss much, that mine. Which is good, because we can't pierce the aquifer.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 22, 2014, 12:08:42 am »

Shouldn't miss much, that mine. Which is good, because we can't pierce the aquifer.

There's no aquifer at this site, "Don't Pierce the Aquifer" was to establish an absolute limit when I was planning a no mining fort.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2014, 12:54:28 am »

Poll is open, how will we determine acceptable estate size?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nevertaxed-Koreg First Year
« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2014, 01:08:15 am »

Sixth Journal Entry of Koreg Hawkblockades Felsite 28

Work is coming along nicely. We still have a decent store of rations and our supply of wood will go very far towards building a functional [a large ink blot appears here] VILLAGE. I've ordered paths cleared to highlight the method to all this madness. I've also made good on my word to HugoLuman and has the first individual house, in Nevertaxed. 5X5 with a bed and a door, Identical to the four others presently being constructed for the four other notables.
   I've also begun the process of developing some sort of administration, we need very little now with just the seven of us but I suspect soon wealthy dwarves the world over will be coming to our little [the word is written in bold and heavily stylized]  village. HugoLuman manages the carpentry and she'll handle all the wood related tasks once we construct the facilities. Wierd (despite his decided lack of moral fiber) has been tasked with farming and farming related tasks including dealing with the plums when they come in. I haven't told evictedSaint that she can put her forge together but I'm looking forward to it, she's been [a few drops of ink indicate the quill stopped moving here] enthusiastic to begin working. PK is managing the tavern because thankfully there are no wounded to require a hospital. Pencil_Art is charged with overseeing the maintenance of a mason's workshop and ensuring the stockpile feeding it does not run low. I have personally chosen to open a mine. I'm a mason at heart but I imagine controlling the stone and ore that keeps our little fortr [the paper is damaged here by numerous tears and punctures] village running. Logically Pencil_Art should control the mine as Pencil_Art is a miner and I am mason but I simply couldn't pass up the most profitable and influential industry, it should also discourage him from going his.
   Sadly my home is not yet under construction, I've drawn up schematics for a manor I have preemptively called Lucrekept. My original plans were deemed “excessive” by the group but Lucrekept will live on in a more compact form. It will 7x7 and two stories tall. I will simply not live in a house made of wood, my land remains staked off and I will begin building just as soon as I can finish the blocks necessary.
   In other news the ritual seems to have worked. I spoke the name of the lost one and touched the blood of a goat to the statuette. The owl has not been seen since. Nasty business that.
   I nearly forgot to mention that I've begun my foray into horticulture, there is a plum tree directly in the path to my home. It's branches have grown in an unattractive fashion due to the close proximity of other trees but it's still one of the most impressive specimens on our little parcel of land. I'll task the farmer whose name I haven't bothered to learn with setting aside a few casks of plum wine made just from my tree that I'll save for a special occasion.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2014, 01:19:16 am »

Its very spread out, isn't it?  I'm not a fan of the layout, but that'll probably change once more dwarves come in and start crowding the place. 

I'm glad I have a house for now, but I'll probably tear it down once I have my little forge built.  I'm thinking of calling it "The Cock and Hammer".  The sign post will be a picture of a rooster being struck by a hammer.  The rooster is cringing.  The hammer is striking a triumphant pose.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 54