Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 53170 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Villagers Wanted!)
« Reply #750 on: April 04, 2015, 10:15:51 pm »

I always have at least one full day off each week, and every other weekend. I can play on those days, and with my i7 bruising through the tissue and tearing the fat, I can crank out a year in a solid day's play.

I have too much invested to give up now.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: April 05, 2015, 03:16:22 am »

I always have at least one full day off each week, and every other weekend. I can play on those days, and with my i7 bruising through the tissue and tearing the fat, I can crank out a year in a solid day's play.

I have too much invested to give up now.

i7?  You mean L7?  Right above the tailbone?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 05, 2015, 09:33:50 am »

No, I have a stand up job now, not a sit-down job.  And the fat is melting off from physical exercise.
My rig is a 3.2ghz Intel i7 with 8gb of ram running linux mint. DF_linux can chew even big worlds with lots of items at playable speeds just fine on it.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 05, 2015, 10:03:53 am »

No, I have a stand up job now, not a sit-down job.  And the fat is melting off from physical exercise.
My rig is a 3.2ghz Intel i7 with 8gb of ram running linux mint. DF_linux can chew even big worlds with lots of items at playable speeds just fine on it.

Ah.  I was thinking in anatomical terms rather than computational <facepalm>
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 05, 2015, 10:40:45 am »

Granite 2 205

I've pacified the bulk of the idiots who objected to my ascension to mayor and today I've spent today laying out my plans. My first area of focus shall be putting Wierd's house in order. Looking over our stocks I've noticed an unpleasant trend of pitifully small crops and as I suspected there are too many inexperienced farmers. The result is our farming space is not being fully utilized and our alcohol reserves are suffering for it. I've pulled most of the farmers and put those that remain on endless duty. I've also created two stockpiles on the roof of the miller's workstation, one for plants that produce flour and one for plants that produce dye and the overseer may choose which stockpile is permitted to feed it thereby ensuring dye isn't produced when w'ere trying to make filling meals and flour isn't produced when we're trying to color our cloth. On that subject I've also put clothes back into production, because even though we're on the verge of half nude dwarves rioting in the streets someone decided it wouldn't be prudent to make some damned pants.
   A little over a third of our archers are worthless because we haven't been producing enough bolts to accommodate them. I've given orders to begin production immediately, to accommodate this I've ordered more trees cut and more charcoal burned. While I'm at it Wierd's been pulled from brewing and I've put him on a constant order to burn clay bricks, with any luck he'll soon be skilled enough to start making clay crafts and eventually produce that masterwork he's always dreamed of. Showing everyone how wonderful everything is when I am undisputed leader.
   Animals next, it's not really an emergency but we have a frankly ridiculous number of animals. The traps are mostly to blame but there's also a bit of unchecked breeding. I plan to weed out some of the weaker animals and assign a few new trainers to get these wild beasts docile enough for butchery or breeding. The Kangaroo I think are excellent sources of meat and leather so perhaps a few of those and their giant cousins. I've never heard of anyone eating owl which means to do so would be very fancy. A nice status symbol like an owl rookery would elevate us in the eyes of the world. We have sheep for wool and milk rendering the pigs rather useless. I think I'll butcher the lot of them.
   I've issued a moratorium on fishing and stepped up fish cleaning efforts. We have over two thousand fish in our stocks but only about 300 are in a useable condition. Then it's time to tinker with Silverplum Mine's rail system. I think I should be able to devise some means of slowing the cart so it no longer jumps the rails, this would mean substantially more injuries and fatalities for anyone stupid enough to walk on the tracks but I think that's a fair trade for a slightly more efficient system.
   Then I suppose I have to kill the king, or at least manufacture a circumstance where his death is likely. That may have settled itself actually. Conscripting nobles is problematic and it was spelled out by her majesty that the Outpost Liasion was by law a member of the Nobles and Administrators of the Tame Gears and a temporary member of the Nobles and Administration of Nevertaxed. Certainly the Outpost Liaison is an important member of the noble caste and integral to our buraeucratic operations. It would seem however that “Sleeping Partner of our Illustrious Monarch” is not a position that holds such honors. Later I shall announce the selection of Atis Laboredslaps King Consort as militia captain replacing the captain we lost in the recent fracas.
   I suppose I shall also begin a campaign of public relations, dedicating as much of my free time as possible to meeting with the common folk in the plum to ensure my reputation as a fair and kind mayor is cemented. This will come in handy for ensuring that future elections have favorable results without my added influence , I can only rig so many elections.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 10:43:45 am by Broseph Stalin »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 05, 2015, 02:11:59 pm »

If there's one thing we have no shortage of, it's iron. Too bad we don't have any flux, and that the traders didn't bring any.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 05, 2015, 06:06:43 pm »

Granite 7
Things move slowly. Clothes are being produced again and it's been a welcome relief but much needs to be done to turn back the tide of madness. I've spent the last week doing little but meeting with upset villagers, Hostergaard has been having a number of difficulties mostly relating to his job as corpse keeper and separation from his family who could not brave the journey.
   In happier news the last of the captured animals is trained and the mass butchery can begin just as soon as I'm confident we have the available space in the stocks. To that end I'm planning the expansion of Fort Silverplum into a tower befitting a ruler of dwarves.
   My home now contains two stories, a basement, and a rooftop vista. I should like to increase that to 7 stories. My new floor plan is for a welcome hall on the ground floor and the second floor will be repurposed into a  meeting hall with three small, tastefully decorated, offices where two dwarves can wait while I sit with one. Above that will be my owl room containing some storage space tucked away in a hidden corner while the center is dominated by the silver cage constructed for my owl, making me the only noble in the region with a room specially dedicated to looking at an owl. Above that is my dining hall big enough to accommodate twelve dwarves. Above that there will be the guest rooms where four dwarves can be comfortably lodged in the event that Fort Hawkblockades becomes the stronghold for dwarves that cannot reach the Pickled Plum in the event of a siege. Above that there willl be my training room containing a few racks for weapons and armor and a screw pump like the ones the militia trains on. I plan to conscript one of the swordmasters to teach me to fight with a blade that I may defend myself in an emergency though I have no plan of ever joining the militia. And above that in the seventh story of my tower will be my bedchamber, with no fewer than eight chests two cabinets and two statues all of my own manufacture. Let's see her majesty top that. 

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)
« Reply #757 on: April 06, 2015, 08:01:26 pm »

Granite 14

Many of our bags are filled with flour and therefore unuseable so I ordered master chef taupe to construct meals with flour as the chief ingredient. His “Flour Roasts” are exquisite, some of the finest bread in all creation. His experimentation has yielded numoerous varieties and I've taken great pleasure in sampling each. Taupe, it can be comfortably said, is a legend in his field. I have granted Taupe ownership of the Dyery I intend to build but my hope is he and Baffler may come to some sort of agreement whereby the Tavern will go to Taupe and Baffler will take up the dyeworks.
   In other news Weird has finally worked the rust out and is about as good at pottery as he was when I brought him on. He's yet to thank me but I've heard he's spoken much of how satisfying artisanry is. He's of course been mass producing bricks like any mouth breather could but now that he's doing competent work I've ordered him to make statues. A boot in the ass is what the layabout needs to get something worthwhile done. Knowing that every house in Nevertaxed will feature his work might drive him to work a little harder.
   I think we're finally good on basic clothes. Pants, Shirts, Socks, and Hoods are still being produced but they're no longer being greedily snapped up. We're moving on to more luxury wear now, cloaks, gloves and the like. They're not absolutely necessary but dwarves are stubbornly wearing they're tattered vanity items and complaining about the fact they're tattered. I am truly sick of meetings. I spend most of them drawing up plans for my new home while they sob and yell about whatever it is they care about.  I think I've finally finished the plans, the ground floor is of course unchanged.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 06, 2015, 11:06:28 pm »

Diary, Granite 15.

It's good that I am finally doing something OTHER than just picking fruit, making beer, and trying to grow crops with lacklustre workers.
It's however, NOT good, that I am being bossed around by Koreg. I hope that owl goes feral again, escapes its cage, and pecks out his eyes.
When I ordered the construction of those kilnyards and clay collection zones over a year ago, I had all but given up hope of ever getting to try my hand at them, since it has been non-stop shortages of food and booze since we arrived here, and more than once I have personally pulled the fortress back from the brink of total logistical disaster. Koreg likes to think it is always my fault that these shortages happen, nevermind that HE is the one who keeps pulling people off brewing and planting jobs to go do whatever ring kissing, boot-licking, butt-pampering personal task he has in mind to make up for his "Short stature." (You know what I mean.)

He's taken to a personal tit-for-tat pissing match with Her Majesty the queen on living accommodations, trying VERY hard to piss her off just one year after I managed to coax her into accepting less-than-royal living arrangements by legal trickery-- I also suspect that he is planning regicide of some manner or other, so that he can claim the mayoral seat again. That dwarf is totally off his rocker.

I do applaud his (rather delayed) recent approach to renovating the silverplum mine's transport system to be a little less... hmm.. Lethal?  However, I think the glut of iron ore sitting around has depressed iron prices to such an extent locally, that he can't even give the stuff away.  What he really needs is flux stone, but we dont seem to have any local deposits, from what I am told.

For whatever reason, he has me making ceramic statues. If this is how he intends to bolster our army (Terra-cotta warriors? Really Koreg?) he truly has gone off his nut.  I should make statues of him being terrified by giant owls, just to spite him. Barring that, I might be able to get away with making statues commemorating his recent ousting from the mayoral office by the new king consort. Get enough of those installed around the place, and that crook is bound to take notice.

I just hope he does not cause yet ANOTHER famine with his self-righteous insanity.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 07, 2015, 06:38:35 pm »

Granite 21 205

It's possible that I've made a few enemies this week.

Her majesty is just a bit upset with me. Earlier this week I decided we should toughen up some of our newest soldiers and to that end I send the second infantry and it's captain, her husband, to Hostergaard's corpse cellar then ordered them to remain there all day. I entrusted the most deadly swordmaster of the village, an aged dwarf by the name Kivish Roundedwheeled, to stand outside and prevent any of the soldiers from leaving and to ensure her majesty couldn't be reached to rescue them.
   He nearly broke down sobbing when I finally released him and his wife predictably sent her enterouge to find me. I was of course in my fortress (drawbridge raised and newly formed fourth infantry stationed outside) chatting with Kivish waiting for that exact situation to transpire. Eventually her majesty came herself and I agreed that if any citizen had a complaint I should meet with them just as soon as I could which in this case was after she stood on my lawn for thirty minutes. I used my usual tactic of nodding dismissively and occasionally talking slightly louder than her with no acknowledgement that she trying to speak and once she was thoroughly livid I thanked her for bringing her concerns to me and promised to make use of her suggestions in the future.
   This served two purposes. First, her idiot husband is well on the way to going mad and killing himself thereby making me a shoe-in for the mayoral seat for every forseeable election. And second, if that wasn't enough to convince her to leave the settlement then she is truly without options. The goblins have cut her off from her home and now she's trapped here in my personal kingdom regardless of what I do. Conveniently the latter means reinforcements are out of the question. If a civil war were to start in Nevertaxed it would remain in Nevertaxed so long as the fighting with the goblins continues. Which of course means that if I were to have her majesty decapitated and take up her crown anybody who would contest me is either one of these dirt farming vomit drinkers or too far away to do anything about it. I would have all the time I needed to legitimize my rule and once the goblins are defeated under my leadership all will recognize me as king and Nevertaxed as the one true capital of the Tame Gears. 

Then I had to deal with Weird. I've decided to press him harder. The better his statues are the more I scoff at them as I assign them to be erected in the raw clay slums he built. Soon he'll have his masterwork and perhaps a new outlook that's sunnier on those with the drive and courage to do what's necessary.
   Just as I was revelling in my victory I received word of the elven traders arrival. Wonderful creatures elves, they so love their jokes. They came to the depot and immediately began smashing feather tree eggs all over.
“Tee-hee” I'm sure they laughed. “The smell will soon be overpowering and the goop will discolor the trade depot.” What fun. “Afterwards” I'm sure they continued “let's tease Koreg about how we took his money and never provided the services we promised in exchange for it” such humor. “Let's also remind him that we allowed him to be blindsided by the Tame Gears multiple times and tried to enforce demands upon his settlement.” Hilarious. I'm not much of a comedian myself but I know one joke that generally gets a response. On my signal PK grabbed the nearest elf and I tried to remember the punchline.

PK and I had our fun but the heat of battle quickly became a bit much for us and Kivish killed the next four elves on his own. One of them I permitted to live to act as my messenger. A passerby helped pin her down as Kivish took the pommel of his sword and crushed her left forearm into an unrecognizable state. I can only hope that this declaration of war will be accepted before the (for now) unavoidable end of my tenure as overseer, otherwise some spineless fool may make the same mistake as the Tame Gears did and seek peace with the tree-lovers.
   There are many delightful benefits to this new campaign. If it was difficult to leave Nevertaxed before it's impossible now. Beyond that more conflict means less certainty as to who was killed by what and therefore whether one's cause of death was regicide or just the product of an unavoidable crossfire. This is also a handy little casus belli for the impending civil war. My position as lord and master of the second capital may prove enough but should her majesty come to be seen as weak for trying to appease the elves it may justify a break in the line of succession. The hallmark of a good plot is redundancy but even if it weren't, even if this act imperiled my entire body of work, I would still be pleased with myself. Sometimes you simply have to teach a lesson those who oppose you lest others join their ranks. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 06:46:09 pm by Broseph Stalin »

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 07, 2015, 09:05:12 pm »

Hello. I just decided to read this, and like the posts. If I could be dorfed (Anything will do), that would be awesome.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 07, 2015, 09:28:50 pm »

(Damnit, I was hoping we could get a mate for that tame grizzly bear)

Granite 21, 205

Koreg slaughtered the Elven caravan today. Has he gone mad? As slippery as they are, they were one of our very few allies out here. And we barely hold our own against the Goblins, who have not yet destroyed us but remove defenders from action every time they come. We slaughter them with a much smaller force, but only, I fear, because they come openly. The elves will not do so. On all sides, we are surrounded by forest, and on no side do we have any kind of defensive wall. No matter our superior gear, it's likely we won't spot an Elven ambush until it reaches the streets and begins murdering our people. Perhaps if we are lucky, they will set foot in our traps, but their traders have probably seen several of those in their previous visits.

We came here with dreams of independence, but as usual, I find those who, rather than achieve it by standing on their own, seek to step on the heads of others. We have not escaped from the shackles of bureaucracy. Very soon, as always, it will prevent us from doing that which common sense demands. Very soon, we will be demanded to choose sides for a conflict which will decide who gets to stand on our heads. We face a two-front war that we can ill afford to fight, which only through solidarity do we have a chance to withstand.

Sometimes I wonder if Tekkud is actually better off than the rest of us. He'll still be down there, long after the storm has passed, even if it's swept everyone out here away.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 08, 2015, 06:45:15 pm »

Granite 28
   I've begun mass dumping of the elf garbage into the corpse cellar. Most of it's useless wooden crap but there are a few animals that should make tasty meals. Unfortunately our message may have been lost due in part to the recent attitions to the miltia. It seems our eighty soldiers are getting bored and stressed. They saw the elf woman lying in the street slipping in and out of consciousness and decided to amuse themselves by shooting and beating her. Apparently someone got a bit carried away and caved her skull in with a crossbow so I gave the order to huck her in the garbage pile with the rest. Perhaps the elves will assume the caravan was lost en route and send another next year. That should pacify the cowards who've been complaining.
   The stores have gotten a bit low and some dwarves are drinking water because they can't get at a barrel that isn't occupied. I'm considering chiding Wierd, he's still yet to make a masterwork and it's been almost a month. No matter how hard I push him he can't seem to make anything better than Superior quality. In less inadequate news Beneviento and Taupe are producing uninterrupted streams of masterworks. I predict we'll be fully clothed in a matter of weeks.
   That's some good news which serves to offset the fact my relationship with her Majesty is quickly disintegrating. She ordered three more menacing spikes which meant I had to suspend some of my projects to send one of the smiths to create and melt her precious spikes. To teach her some humility I pulled a carpenter instead and had three huge wooden stakes created. To remind the village that we abandoned laboring under her Majesty and that regardless of the present situation the Revered Strangers are not loyal to the Tame Gears I issued a mandate of my own and ordered the incarceration of anyone who tried to export a shield.
   My training with Kivish (or Maxcat as he's taken to calling himself) is going well. I'm learning swordsmanship quickly. Once my training has progressed some I plan to put Maxcat in charge of the Owl Rookery or the Dyery as a reward. Sadly my tower isn't progressing as quickly as I'd hoped and instead of training in a proper room I've been forced to work out of my office.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 08, 2015, 09:40:45 pm »

Diary, Granite 27.

If that owl buggering bastard comes in here one more time to complain about why I haven't produced a statue that meet with his "exacting" demands for workmanship and quality, I swear I am going to let Tekkud loose in his tower in the night.

Does he think me a simpleton? Does he think I did not notice that his harrassments have been INCREASING as the quality of my work improves? WELL! I most certainly AM NOT, and I most certainly DID notice. Thank you very much, Mister Koreg, lord of the asses.

I will postpone my production of a masterwork PURPOSEFULLY, until his most recent tenure as city administrator comes to a close, THEN I shall produce my masterworks, and *I* shall choose where they shall be installed!  (Evil laughter)

It should be noted that Koreg's state of mind is becoming even more unstable than usual as of late, having gone so far as the brutally butcher an elven trading caravan in cold blood recently, and then unceremoniously dump nearly the entire caravan's contents into the garbage dump.  Thankfully his brutality was complete and total, thus preventing the elven nation from having any witnesses to the attrocity to report it, and invoke their ire against our settlement-- what with us losing defenders on a yearly basis to the Goblin hoardes. Surely, the goblins MUST be dwindling in numbers after having lost over 120 warriors to date (by my simple estimates.)  Even THEIR kind must eventually tire of war, right?   The last thing we need are elven ambushes in the streets, just because a big headed dwarf with a "small hammer" complex can't feel good about himself unless he is murdering someone.

I suppose that as a consequence of becoming a master crafter of clay goods, I shall be better able to accomodate my fellow citizens of nevertaxed with PROPER housing made from fired clay brick, insteady of rough clay boulders, but that too shall have to wait for my upcoming term as city administrator.

Assuming of course, Koreg does not decide to have me assassinated before then.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 21, 2015, 12:30:26 pm »

any updates?
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 54